Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
754 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  12:30:27  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
London is literally burning. Bristol, Birmingham, Nottingham and Liverpool are on the way to this as well. It's very sad to be English today. I'm highly embarrassed and very sad at what's happening here.

Mindless criminality, that's all it is, carried out by 'deprived youths'. Deprived??? Try living in East Africa right now....that's deprived.

This all makes me so sick.

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  14:01:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been reading about it. I also have to think it's the mob mentality. And why are they destroying their own areas where they live? That's what gets me.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  01:12:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A very aptly chosen title, Kula John - it is easily my favourite Kate Bush song - and one that still makes me glad to be a son of Shakespeare's This sceptered isle, set in a silver sea...this other eden.

Back in 1977, the late Derek Jarman made a film entitled Jubilee. In it, Queen Elizabeth 1 is transported in time to a future England which in some ways resembled what have seen over the last few days. My own beloved city of Manchester has been hit tonight and I feel now just as I did back in 1996, when a terrorist bomb ripped the heart out of the city centre. I intend to go into town tomorrow - to see what practical help I can give....and to show these thugs that they won't win.

One startling aspect to the whole thing is the level of international coverage given. I spent a few minutes today watching RT - an English language news channel from Moscow. They were offering through their highly subjective reports, an analysis that pointed solely to an allegedly, failed society and, also allegedly, a whole generation repressed by the police. Nowhere at all was there any mention of the people who have now lost their homes, their jobs ..and the beating hearts of their communities. Nor did RT choose to share with their viewers the plight of those poor people who were forced to flee, often with their traumatised children, from burning buildings and vehicles, and in fear of their lives. One especially sikening image from the BBC was of a looted Oxfam shop.

Edited by - John9 on 10/08/2011 02:26:01
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
754 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  14:02:34  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes it seems Manchester got the brunt of it last night John. I hope the mess isn't too extensive and good on you for getting out there and showing real community spirit and assisting with the aftermath. One positive that seems to have come out of this is a real demonstration from the good folk of Britain that the thugs won't win and most people do care about their communities.

As you said, sympathy has to go to those who've lost busiensses and homes. It's the mindless element of it all which really gets to me. I guess there are serious underlying reasons why all of this happened and it'll be interesting to see what made hundreds of youths take to the streets.

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  14:18:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So is it the economy in the UK which is driving these individuals to participate in anarchy?? Is it "persecution" from the police? Perhaps these are the reasons they pick up as an excuse to rob, torch and steal? I hope the country gets a handle on it. I have to to tell you it was strange to see the two great cities of Manchester and Liverpool fall under the criminal spell. But it was good to see "volunteers" who participated in the cleanup after the riots. I heard some of them noting it was "shameful" for their ciies to be experiencing the mayhem. They just had to do something.
Go to Top of Page

captain america and billy
Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  15:19:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was this same brand of civil unrest that led directly to the English Punk movement in the seventies.I wouldn't be surprised if we were to hear the same frustrated expression of song in the aftermath.This is music's greatest power,to reflect on ongoing political and social situations and perhaps inspire dutiful change.

Edited by - captain america and billy on 11/08/2011 21:24:12
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2011 :  00:02:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by captain america and billy

It was this same brand of civil unrest that led directly to the English Punk movement in the seventies.I wouldn't be surprised if we were to hear the same frustrated expression of song in the aftermath.This is music's greatest power,to reflect on ongoing political and social situations and perhaps inspire dutiful change.

God save England if it leads to a Disco revival.

Seriously...my heart bleeds for England.

Lionheart-live
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3dA1RX7tPE&feature=related

Every Christian Lionhearted Man...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PLeNdfkoBI

Oh solo Dominique
Oh solo Dominique
Oh solo Dominique
Oh solo Dominique

Take this in hand
Said he who stands
Behind the chair
A broken table there

Every Christian lion hearted man will show you

Oh solo Dominique
Oh solo Dominique
Oh solo Dominique
Oh solo Dominique

Don't walk so tall
Before you crawl

For every child
Is thinking of something wild

Oh solo Dominique
Oh solo Dominique
Oh solo Dominique

Every Christian lion hearted man will show you (will show you)

Oh solo Dominique
Oh solo Dominique
Oh solo Dominique

Go to Top of Page

dyecraig
Fourth Love

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2011 :  16:42:32  Show Profile  Visit dyecraig's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We're having some problems on a lesser scale with these 'flashmobs' suddenly appearing and wreaking havoc in Chinatown, DC and Silver Spring, MD and cleaning out a 7/11 in Rockville - it's very disturbing. Sometimes I just wanna stay in my hermetically sealed hyperbolic chamber in a secret location out in the country.
PJ Harvey's recent "Let England Shake" is worth a deep listen.

Edited by - dyecraig on 17/08/2011 16:44:12
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2011 :  20:09:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holy crap...we all ned to go to an island in Maine! Start our own country called the Peace & LoVE Island!

Go to Top of Page

Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2011 :  20:17:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard they've started to declare curfews in a few communities.Scary.What is this worldwide revolt vibe.Used to hearing about it in the Mid-east all my life,but things are starting up here in the states like back in the sixties,except back then the actions of the students and other participants were ALWAYS rooted in some sane cause.Now I have heard of people protesting the "no cell phones on public transport" thing,maybe that one makes a LITTLE sense.But people are starting to form mobs to rob little convenience stores.What the @#*@!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2011 :  20:29:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about the billionaire Facebook dude and other Libertarians funding island platforms in international waters to start their own "countries"-- free from laws, government or moral codes?! Yeah that'll work! A bunch of billionaire misfits will get along just fine. The ocean can have em!

Go to Top of Page

Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2011 :  20:35:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah,that's a good one,but listen to THIS one.Two nuns,Peter Lorre and a Kimodo Dragon walk into a bar and.......
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2011 :  15:35:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey I just read that there's been a spike in BASEBALL BAT bat sales in the UK on Amazon! So is cricket gonna be taken over by baseball (cough cough) with its bloop singles, balks, home runs, pop flies, ERA's and grand slams???????????.................
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2011 :  22:14:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not now that England have replaced India as the World's number 1 test playing nation - cricket, I would hope will be alive and well for a long time. At school, though, we did play a form of baseball - rounders. I used to enjoy it.

Edited by - John9 on 18/08/2011 22:15:18
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2011 :  13:54:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're looking good in cricket john! i know everybody's happy about that state of affairs. Tendulkar's going to have to wait!
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2011 :  21:47:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Yes Rocker, we are. And our amazing performance thus far, gives a whole new, and very much more optimistic, meaning to the title of this thread. What I can't get over is that before this series started, India were number one - and yet this has been such an unbelievably one sided affair.

Edited by - John9 on 20/08/2011 21:48:37
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page