New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  12:05:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As mentioned on one thread, I forget which, I went to see the Donovan Royal Albert Hall concert last night.

After Catch the Wind and a couple of other early hits the London Contemporary Orchestra came onstage and backed him for the entire gig.
Rest of first half fairly well known stuff from his catalogue, Hurdy Gurdy Man, Goo Goo Barabajagal, There is a Mountain, Mellow Yellow, Sunny South Kensington which was brilliant, for non UK list members the Royal Albert Hall is in South Kensington.

Second half Sunshine Superman straight through, classic stuff like the first time I saw Arthur perform Forever Changes with full orchestra, the whole concert was arranged and conducted by John Cameron who did the same on the original album and some subsequent ones. Shawn Philipps who Donovan worked with a lot in the sixties was also there on sitar.

There was a special unannounced guest on Sunshine Superman itelf, the young session guitarist who played on it, Jimmy Page, he also appeared later when the song was encored. This of course has gone viral on the internet, here's a pic of him and Donovan backstage:
http://www.youdopia.com/2011/06/03/jimmy-page-plays-guitar-for-donovan-at-the-royal-albert-hall-coolest-thing-ever/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Youdopia+%28Youdopia%29&utm_content=Twitter

Everything was filmed, look out for the DVD.

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  16:23:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is so good to see Donovan getting his due again!! A bit like Arthur in the UK in his last years. Such an underrated artist, though maybe not in the UK?!!

Playing one of the greatest albums of all time. in full....has he ever done that?
That must have been great...SUNSHINE SUPERMAN!

I am waiting to see some vids of the concert on youtube soon!!!

while I sing this song.
But if one day you should see me from your cloud
lend a hand and lift me
Away from the crowd.
Go to Top of Page

captain america and billy
Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  15:58:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brother,this almost the only place that EVER gives any proper mention of Mr. Leitch's tremendous scope of artisan vision.In most radio markets here stateside,he's always presented as just another 1960's Am top forty hitmaker.Now I know you Brits have ALWAYS given him the recogniotion he deserves.I can't say that assesment of his gifts will EVER be full realized here.I don't,maybe its like the soccer thing.A little TOO British to be fully understood for his sophitications here in the land of greasy French Fries and pisswater beer!

Edited by - captain america and billy on 06/06/2011 15:59:31
Go to Top of Page

SignedRW
Fifth Love

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  19:18:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The current issue of the always excellent Shindig mag, with a killer polarized vintage Donovan cover photo, and the best piece I've seen on Don in years is a definite must. Also contains the second and final portion of their very cool Electric Prunes feature. Shindig, an excellent and highly recommended magazine.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  20:00:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Signed RW

The current issue of the always excellent Shindig mag, with a killer polarized vintage Donovan cover photo, and the best piece I've seen on Don in years is a definite must. Also contains the second and final portion of their very cool Electric Prunes feature. Shindig, an excellent and highly recommended magazine.

Thanks Rick ...I must search that one out!!

while I sing this song.
But if one day you should see me from your cloud
lend a hand and lift me
Away from the crowd.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page