New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2011 :  16:29:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
remember listening to the 1st album on the Edsel, on vinyl, great great stuff

I'm still amazed that you can't really find the 1st MG album on cd too easily. Maybe on import, if Vintage is still in print by Sony (worth having for the liner notes, though the liners on the pulled Sundazed issue are also excellent

I think that the 1st album is what the band will be known for. They would continue to write good songs (Rose colored eyes, Nemo, Beautiful day today) but I can't get over how strong a collection of songs their 1st is (and it made the top 25!)

Hey Grandma, 805, Sittin by my window, theres really not a bad song in the lot. I think the only song that doesn't grab me TOO MUCH (Mr Blues) is over in 2 minutes, and its NOT a bad song

just not into the blues, and Peter Green did it SO much better!

Definitely a case of overconfidence on the record company's side, as they released not one, not two, but FIVE singles from the album, all at the same time (!)

And of course after that it never really happened for them again, they spent too much time partying with Springfield, had to cut the album in New York, the rhythm guitarist went after the engineer with an axe and Katz stole the name with the band carrying on as Maby Grape or something

Can you make this stuff up? the only band with a more disturbed history is the early Pink Floyd, with the lead singer going off into the clouds and the rest of the band struggling for years to write decent pop songs because they were perceived as a singles act

Go figure!

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2011 :  17:35:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still have my first pressing, in the shrink, mint vinyl with poster and "finger".....

The only way to get the a copy now is to screw Katz by finding one of several "free' Downloads....until it is released to benefit the surviving members of Moby Grape (and PLEASE buy it when that happens!!!)--- this is one case were I say screw it and Katz....

Here is a download....with bonus tracks
http://www.filecrop.com/25862315/index.html

Mono mix....
http://www.filecrop.com/33414206/index.html

Was that fine use of the middle finger prophetic, or MEANT for Katz afterall?!!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 20/05/2011 17:52:21
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2011 :  17:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the most recent reissues (2010 by Great Barrier Records - import?) and 2007 (Sundazed) thankfully do NOT blur out the American flag and the finger (!)

Reminds me of the shot of the 1st Monkees album, where Mikes cursing

the Sundazed sounds great (of course) and I'm REALLY glad they edited out Rubinson's banter (with Skip? Mosley?) at the beginning of the "Fall on You" track as (asides from that) its a killer track, with the guitar riff lifting it off the floor

"I'll just sit here and decay here..."
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2011 :  17:47:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
don't think the Sundazed is available as a download? the 2007 issue seems to go for HUGE prices on eBay

in some cases (The Left Bankes OOP compilation Theres Gonna Be A Storm) the cd release is going for a LOT but you can find the download of the album cheaper.

Doubt if the Sundazed 2007 is available as download though. Or the early 90s Vintage release, which has all of the 1st album (and is a great compilation as well)

Cos of Katz I guess. Damn he must get a lot of hate mail. Kind of a west coast Allan Klein!
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  02:40:35  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
there use to be lots of mention of the "finger" cover. Now thanks to human evolvement, there is mostly now only mention of the censored album cover, and many references to its attack by crazy liars!

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

BobbyFischer
Fifth Love

Norway
440 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  03:30:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have always thougt The San Fran bands from the 60s were overrated except for Beau Brummels And Moby Grape.And yes I know about Grateful,Airplane and Quicksilver!
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  03:30:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they also blurred out the flag in addition to the finger
Go to Top of Page

captain america and billy
Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  20:23:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Brummmels were actually from Frisco?Real nice job replicating the British invasion sound.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  21:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
intriguing to learn that the 1st Moby Grape album hit #24 on the charts and sold well when it came out in May 1967 (what a year!)

5 singles on the part of the record company (Columbia) - NOT a bright move (although its justified - almost every song on the album could be a single

Aside from the one minute one!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FElMgJCz3to

Have I have an amplifier on time? heh! like those hippies ever paid THOSE off!

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  17:33:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Brummels were as much one of the originators of early country rock as well doing some British styled pop....perhaps more so on the country rock side as years went by....

From a favorite LP by the Brummels...BRADLEY'S BARN

Turn Around
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3TjAQI0dwg&feature=related

Long Walking Down To Misery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nEPrzfXJAA

Love Can Fall A Long Way Down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOFlmA8tGeU&feature=related

JESSICA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfcEQxMBcGk&feature=related

finally a surprising cover of Randy Newman.....Bless You California
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7hfM8O2lTM&feature=related

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  04:19:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does Moby Grape ever tour? Theres mention of Omar Spence getting the old band together in the recent Sundazed reissue of the 1st album, but I'm not sure if they are even allowed to tour under their own name (!)
Go to Top of Page

captain america and billy
Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  15:23:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm almost surprised the Mobys did as well as top thirty on the Billboard.Now if I can just get a handle on just why "Forever Changes" stalled out at an abysmal #154!!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  16:43:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lack of touring, poor promotion outside LA....I never heard anything from FC.....ever-- on radio in 1967. Moby Grape were all over the record shops with promo posters etc....even if the 5 singles promotion was a disaster; at least Columbia got the name out there! I don't think Elektra really knew what they were doing on a mass promotional scale...they finally got it right with the DOORS. but it was too late for LoVE.

Besides, LoVE's Forever Changes was not your top 40 radio music.....still isn't....too complex: musically, lyrically, generally..... for the masses! They didn't have a radio friendly "Light My Fire" to edit down to 3 minutes.

So...they are OUR secret LoVE, still.

...would we really want Lady Ga Ga fans to equally love LoVE?!! What would that say about our taste in music?!!!

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2011 :  03:06:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how were reviews of Forever Changes at the time? I understand that Rolling Stone gave it a lackluster review
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page