Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2011 :  23:20:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RIP Mr. Kirshner.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/01/remembering-don-kirshner-video-highlights-from-an-illustrious-musical-career.html

And a partial list of the greats that appeared on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Kirshner%27s_Rock_Concert#Partial_list_of_performers

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  13:52:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, RIP Don K. He follows Clay Cole who passed on recently as well.
Don sure had taste with 'Sparks'!! What a wild band...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  17:13:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

Yes, RIP Don K. He follows Clay Cole who passed on recently as well.
Don sure had taste with 'Sparks'!! What a wild band...

video history...including a funny intro by Ringo 8 Keith Moon, introducing SPARKS, what a hoot they are live...rock theater.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/01/remembering-don-kirshner-video-highlights-from-an-illustrious-musical-career.html

Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  23:56:14  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don's concert TV show very enjoyable, and, now, we have NO live performance rock TV shows. Saturday Night Live , and some of the talk shows feature current artists, but still, no real live music shows on TV. We used to have Shindig, Hulluballo, Midnight Special, Where The ACtion's At, Hollywood Palace, even the Smothers Brothers Show, the Ed Sullivan Show, but now....nothing.

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  00:56:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

Don's concert TV show very enjoyable, and, now, we have NO live performance rock TV shows. Saturday Night Live , and some of the talk shows feature current artists, but still, no real live music shows on TV. We used to have Shindig, Hulluballo, Midnight Special, Where The ACtion's At, Hollywood Palace, even the Smothers Brothers Show, the Ed Sullivan Show, but now....nothing.

...what the world needs now...

Unfortunately the bigs acts of today would probably lip-sync anyway--and they would hold little interest for us anyway. The golden age is past and we are jaded now...I'd only watch if it was Dylan or Stones or Buffalo Springfield reunited, anyway, and there would not be much chance of that making in on TV.

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  01:48:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This from Late Show's Paul Shaffer....

Paul Shaffer on Don Kirshner: 'He loved the impression'
January 18, 2011 | 5:10 pm

As must have been the case for a lot of people, when news broke about the death Monday of music mogul and TV impresario Don Kirshner, one of the first names that went through my mind was that of Paul Shaffer, for the spot-on Kirshner impersonation the comedian and musician did numerous times on “Saturday Night Live” during his tenure on the show.

Shaffer spoke with Pop & Hiss shortly after he finished taping Tuesday’s episode of “Late Show With David Letterman,” on which he’s led the house band for years, talking about his relationship with Kirshner over the years and the development of his comedy bit.

“Back in 1977, I did a show for Don Kirshner and Norman Lear that was a partnership between the two of them: ‘The Year at the Top.’ In it, Greg Evigan and I played rock performers who had sold their souls to the devil. It played on CBS for just five episodes in the summer of ’77. Nonethless, I became friendly with Don during that time. I was a fan, and I knew about his association with what we know now as Brill Building rock, which was my favorite kind of music anyway, so we struck up a friendship.

“One day he called me, and ‘Don Kirshner’s Rock Concert’ was on the air at the time, and he told me, ‘I’m going on-camera to do the introductions on the show.’ Up until this point, it had been completely sober [voiceover] introductons of the acts, but he had decided to do them on-camera.

He said, ‘A lot of people think maybe I’m stiff, but [Ed] Sullivan was stiff, and he had the gig.’ He asked if I wanted to come down and watch him tape his first introduction. It was at some studio near Hollywood and Vine. Of course I jumped at the chance and saw him tape those first introductions.

"He was a great character, a lovable character, certainly the most colorful character I’ve ever met. He was very fast talking, always very emotional about the music he loved and the music he was making. He was the ultimate when it came to promoting the songs he loved. He’d go on these runs and talk so fast that sometimes he’d break himself up.

“But when he went on-camera, he slowed right down. I guess he was nervous. He froze a little bit, but he still spoke from the heart. I found it very humorous, and I never forgot it. When the show ‘Year at the Top’ didn’t get picked up, I got my gig at 'SNL' back. I’d left 'SNL' and moved to California to do the show, but when I came back, I brought that impression back with me and started doing it.

“On one show we needed a way to set up a certain musical number, a rock number -- Garrett Morris did Tina Turner -- and I said I could do it as Don Kirshner. So that’s how it came about.

“He was asked all through the years, ‘Didn’t that impression that Paul Shaffer did [tick] you off?' He always said, ‘No, I loved it.’ l loved him, he loved me, and he loved the impression because he knew it came out of love for him.”

“I gave Don a call and spoke to him over the weekend, but I didn’t think he was going to slip away so soon. He sounded weak, but he rallied when he heard I was on the phone. He said ‘Paul, babe!’ He went right into his Don Kirshner for me. I certainly consider him a friend, and I’m very saddened by his passing.”

-- Randy Lewis

Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  03:23:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey! wasn't he sacked by the Monkees?!
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  14:41:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately the bigs acts of today would probably lip-sync anyway--and they would hold little interest for us anyway. The golden age is past and we are jaded now...

Amazing how music has changed, hasn't it? Sooooo different. Was it the ipod? Was it the music co's not handling the artists well? Before, I used to walk into many stores where music was sold to buy now it's a whole new world primarily the Net now. That's good in a way but in another it's not. This could all be be a biased view since I'm looking at it from a particular past but I'm sure there has been a profound change in how we relate to music today
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  17:04:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a believer!
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2011 :  14:15:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ah..... somebody believes!........
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2011 :  04:12:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Theres a great interview with Kirshner in Hey Hey We're The Monkees (Rhino Video) where hes talking about having the idea of having Micky Dolenz singing "I am a believer" on the tv show

DEFINITELY seemed to work out for the band, THAT move! after that it was downhill (commercially) and Head was a total failure (commercially) for the group in 1968

Great talent Kirshner had access to - songwriters like David Gates, Carole King

Dolenz is STILL doing Carole King covers! (he did a tribute album last year)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page