Miscellaneous LOVE Stuff
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LeeRob
Fifth Love

397 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  20:57:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was introduced to Raven, a 53 year old "hippie," musician ensconced in a comfortably padded time capsule of peace and love and good times. He plays some original tunes as well as Cat Stevens, and America; that type of stuff. He hadn't ever heard (or heard of) Arthur and the gang. So, I gave him Forever Changes to listen to.
Man, a week later he returns it with a bright look in his eyes, and says, "I will definitely get this; they sound like the Mamas and Papas; only better!"

Oh God, I tried not to look offended, but this was a curve ball. I mean the first album may have a little of that, and a Byrds sound for instance, but he had never heard LOVE, and this was FOREVER CHANGES he had listened to. I smiled and told him more about the band then I previously had , and did not mention his comparison. But y'know, aaaaaaarg.

The M&Ps were great, but can you dig my reaction? Is it just me?
Any similar experiences with new LOVE people out there?

It's all the same day.

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  00:51:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess everyone needs a place from which to start to feel comfortable with something new, and Love is so different, maybe it is a way to enter the realm of Arthur Lee without getting frightened.

For me....I just thought, man, these guys are really different. It ddid not compute at first and it was instant interest if not love. But it brought me back, over and over. For me, the instant hook kind of music is what I tire of most easily. Love is fresh every time, year after year.

I guess my cringe moment would be when I was sharing Love and they said, oooh, that sound like Johnny Mathis....yeah right, on acid, and with a bit more genius!!

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  01:17:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought you quit drinking lk!
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  11:13:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I find that almost any track from Forever Changes wins most people over. I think that if I'd heard any of the other albums first I myself would not have become quite such a devotee.
Go to Top of Page

LeeRob
Fifth Love

397 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  18:34:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Da Capo gripped me hard back when the record was released. It was just the best music, production and grittiness necessary to be rock and roll with a new reality. It stands alone. When FC came out it just blew my mind. The first album was very much a "first album," with it's aim to hook in listeners and sales. I think of it as a demo platter; who knew where all that talent was headed for.

It's all the same day.
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  03:01:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LeeRob

I was introduced to Raven, a 53 year old "hippie," musician ensconced in a comfortably padded time capsule of peace and love and good times. He plays some original tunes as well as Cat Stevens, and America; that type of stuff. He hadn't ever heard (or heard of) Arthur and the gang. So, I gave him Forever Changes to listen to.
Man, a week later he returns it with a bright look in his eyes, and says, "I will definitely get this; they sound like the Mamas and Papas; only better!"

Oh God, I tried not to look offended, but this was a curve ball. I mean the first album may have a little of that, and a Byrds sound for instance, but he had never heard LOVE, and this was FOREVER CHANGES he had listened to. I smiled and told him more about the band then I previously had , and did not mention his comparison. But y'know, aaaaaaarg.

The M&Ps were great, but can you dig my reaction? Is it just me?
Any similar experiences with new LOVE people out there?

It's all the same day.

i think your friend was not far off. that first Mamas and the Papas
album was a monster of a record. I can see the similarity, with the bright acoustic sound and fine harmonies.
Go to Top of Page

LeeRob
Fifth Love

397 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  04:37:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Groovey; I have someone else's perception to adjust my own personal focus to. Thanks waxburn.

It's all the same day.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page