Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2010 :  10:51:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to mention to board members with access to BBC television that The Man Who Recorded America: Jac Holzman's Elektra Records is showing tonight (Friday) on BBC 4 at 11.40PM...should be well worth catching.

Edited by - John9 on 26/10/2010 22:11:45

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2010 :  11:21:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John, I put a mention for this in the "General discussions about music section". I will definitely watch this - either "live" or via Sky+ (there is beer festival on in town tonight, with live music).
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2010 :  20:55:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dukie

Hi John, I put a mention for this in the "General discussions about music section". I will definitely watch this - either "live" or via Sky+ (there is beer festival on in town tonight, with live music).

Hi Dukie. I'm sorry for duplicating your own posting. I had forgotten about the Incredible String Band being on Elektra. They were at Woodstock weren't they? I saw them at the De Montfort Hall, Leicester in 1971. A hallmark of their shows was that they didn't do encores.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Jac Holzman's comments on Love - it still amuses me how he styled himself as 'Production Co-ordinator' on Four Sail. And I'd like to hear his thoughts on sacking The Byrds from his label in 1964. That was rather like Decca turning down The Beatles a couple of years previously.

Edited by - John9 on 22/10/2010 20:56:51
Go to Top of Page

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2010 :  23:00:30  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Did anyone else hear the BBC Radio 2 Jac Holzman Elektra story programme. Part two on 19th Oct was about the mid - late sixties with Paul Butterfield Blues band(Mike Bloomfield Al Kooper etc) ,Love, the Doors, etc. He said that when he signed Arthur and Love, Arthur wanted the cheque straight away to buy some transport for the band. When Arthur got the cheque he spent it all on a Mercedes Gullwing sportscar. When the choice of vehicle was queried Arthur said that the rest of the band and the equipment would get to the gig if everybody wanted it to get there. He said that after the first couple of albums the band were so out of their heads in the recording studio he had to get session musicians in to play the tunes to show the band what they were supposed to be doing. This made the band realise how bad things had got. He stressed that it was Arthur that got the Doors their break as he could not really get on with Morrison as he would not go and work on songs and just wanted to go off and write lyrics and poetry. All very interesting, hope the TV programme is as good.
Harvey the roadie
Go to Top of Page

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2010 :  04:24:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That "Gullwing" story was a complete fabrication, I saw the car, it was a 1943, dark green four door Nazi mobile, they got for a few hundred dollars. The thing blew-up on it's first outing. A Gullwing, even back then would have cost thousands. Jac likes to make things up! It's an interesting tale though.

GMM
Go to Top of Page

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  15:48:36  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Great programme!Jac Holtzman was definitely a man with a vision. I've got it recorded, expect to watch it lots of times. They showed Arthur's performance on Jools Holland's show from 2003, with Baby Lemonade and the Swedish Strings and Horns, wonderful stuff.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  16:13:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tina

Great programme!Jac Holtzman was definitely a man with a vision. I've got it recorded, expect to watch it lots of times. They showed Arthur's performance on Jools Holland's show from 2003, with Baby Lemonade and the Swedish Strings and Horns, wonderful stuff.

nice...is it available for replay anywhere on the net? Lac absolutely had the vision! A groundbreaker with Elektra from its beginning.

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  16:41:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the BBC site usually has shows for a week. Used to listen to the new series of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy on the site more than once after broadcast!
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  22:21:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I've just changed the title of this thread because of Jac Holzman's appearance on BBC Radio Four's Front Row this evening. Interviewed by the excellent John Wilson, Jac speaks at length about The Doors....but also about Arthur Lee's role in leading him to them. At the start of the piece Jac talks about the invention of the LP record and the mythological explanation for the name 'Elektra'....it's all fascinating stuff. Here's a link to it....the feature is about 60% of the way into it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00vhgpj/Front_Row_Burke_and_Hare_review_and_Jac_Holzman/
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  01:27:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those who have not seen this yet like myself, here is a nice link and some cool pics!
From Buda at Freed's site.
[quote="Buda"][URL=http://img248.imageshack.us/i/electraq.jpg/][/URL]

A good friend of mine just sent this link of a great documentary that
possibly we and I have never heard of, mainly because it's just been
made and broadcast on BBC, called:

The Man Who Recorded America - Jac Holzman & Elektra Records DVD
Broadcast on BBC 4, October 22, 2010

http://www.hungercity.org/details.php?id=11728

Chapters

1. Introduction
2. Judy Collins
3. Tom Paxton
4. Love
5. The Doors
6. Tim Buckley
7. Incredible String Band
8. MC5 / Iggy & the Stooges
9. Nico
10. Bread
11. Carly Simon
12. Queen
13. Harry Chapin
14. Jackson Browne

Total time : 49:12

Narrated by Jac Holzman with observations by Jackson Browne - also
comments from Judy Collins, Tom Paxton, Joe Boyd, Robin Williamson
and Iggy Pop.

[URL=http://img248.imageshack.us/i/jacholzman.jpg/][/URL][/quote]

Edited by - lemonade kid on 07/11/2010 01:28:35
Go to Top of Page

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  01:41:36  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Robert Plant on BBC2 this evening 6/11/10 in an evening of programmes about him and he said a few times how much Arthur Lee was one of his inspirations and he could not understand how Forever Changes had not been a massive success.
Harvey the Roadie
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  03:30:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they didn't tour!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  16:50:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But even if they had...they just were/are not main stream enough...thank god, we
are not either! I know I am being over generalizing but maybe, many music
lovers, just like their music to be simple, easy...music they do not have
to think about: the words, or the meaning, or deal with a tune that is too musically
complex....and Arthur makes us think & listen. Arthur/Love weren't part of
the hit machine-never will be.

What is your theory, everyone, that they didn't make it, besides touring?

Edited by - lemonade kid on 07/11/2010 16:59:45
Go to Top of Page

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  20:01:49  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
They were too stoned to give a s...t according to Holzman and as LK says it is not that kind of music. They were fairly unknown in UK when I toured with them in 1974. The rest of the support band wanted to find out more about them and getting Love albums was not that easy. Lots of London record shops out of stock. Only people that were into them from the beginning really knew where they were coming from(probably Americans over here) and most students at the Universities where they played on the 74 tour had not heard of them and many said they had only come to see out of curiosity.There was an audience of people who knew what they were about and came to see Arthur but the rest of the band were pretty much unknowns apart from Joe Blocker and Canned Heat. But this was about 6 years after F.C. Also to do the music justice you have to have the horns and the strings and that costs money every night on a tour and would record companies have put the money up for that. There is also a very small amount of footage of Love performing in the earlier days probably for the same reasons, no touring, no TV shows. Lots of other bands around then were all over every bit of media possible.Film, TV, radio, magazines,etc.
Just a few thoughts on the matter.
Harvey the roadie
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  21:46:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, Harvey....the '74 tour. I had never seen Love at that point. I couldn't get to The Rainbow...and they wouldn't let me into the Speakeasy bacause I wasn't a member. Of course Love were back the following year with a much tighter lineup...and I was fortunate enough to catch them on a good night!

LK - many thanks for The Elektra graphics - that butterfly label brings back so many happy memories. It looks a little like The Malagasy Sunset Moth:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysiridia_rhipheus

Great picture of Jac as well.

Edited by - John9 on 07/11/2010 21:52:36
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  22:06:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right. J9. Next to Arthur, Jac is my favorite 60's music personality, he was an
iconoclast! a music industry revolutionary and visionary!....he really
did record "America".... and without him, who knows where Love would be, or the
Doors, or Fred Neil or Judy Collins or Phil Ochs or ....well....the list goes on forever!

Thanks, Jac!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 07/11/2010 22:08:56
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page