Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  23:54:55  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hey J9 have you heard the tape Arthur asked me to make of the Rainbow gig. Lots of people have copies of it, as everybody probably knows I was asked to send a copy of it (on cassette)to the record company in the States and it 'escaped' and from the descriptions I have heard about what is on the label, the date etc it must be the same one though I have not heard a copy to compare with my original Quarter track r to r which I still have somewhere. Cannot listen to it though as the old Sony 366 needs a repair kit of belts and wheels etc as the old ones have probably perished. They are available on Ebay but only occasionally and price is a bit high. One of those winter jobs to do. Really was bad luck not to be able to get into Speakeasy but it was not one of the best gigs. Quite a small room and packed with people (a lot of them just there to be there and not really fans of Love so noisy all evening) and sound was not brilliant as club too small for full rig and access was an absolute pig,down steep narrow stairs and round tight bends. Took us one day to get everything in and back next day to get everything out. Both very hot days but club had an ice making machine so we spent a lot of time emptying that.Shame you could not get to the Rainbow room above Bibas in Oxford street. Good gig but Arthur was in a foul mood and short setted. Refused to come on again so support band had to go on twice. Story of the tour really.
Harvey the roadie
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2010 :  08:58:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harvey - I really appreciate your descriptions of those two London gigs from '74. What really galled me was that I had actually phoned the Speakeasy from where I was living in Leicester and they had told me that they were relaxing the membership rules for that one night. When I actually got there it was a different story - and I had spent money on a rail ticket that I couldn't really afford. I haven't heard the tape you mentioned.....but hopefully I will one day. I was surprised to hear about what happened at the Rainbow....Arthur didn't always do himself many favours, did he? I suppose that tended to add to his mystique - but I cannot help but think of the many thoroughly professional gigs that other bands gave during that period. I saw Fairport Convention (whom Sandy Denny had recently rejoined) at Liverpool University later on in '74.......and they were fantastic. They simply radiated the appreciation they had for their fans and we all went away thrilled. Cheers

Edited by - John9 on 08/11/2010 08:59:22
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  02:25:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by lemonade kid

What is your theory, everyone, that they didn't make it, besides touring?

KD: Donuts and Drugs !
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  02:30:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdion11

What is your theory, everyone, that they didn't make it, besides touring?

KD: Donuts and Drugs !

Or rumors thereof! Damn those donuts!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 09/11/2010 02:31:22
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  02:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Right. J9. Next to Arthur, Jac is my favorite 60's music personality, he was an
iconoclast! a music industry revolutionary and visionary!....he really
did record "America".... and without him, who knows where Love would be, or the
Doors, or Fred Neil or Judy Collins or Phil Ochs or ....well....the list goes on forever!

Thanks, Jac!

Check out the Elektra cover story in the current MOJO. Very
cool and informative. The US Edition has Jimbo on the cover.
I'd love to hear Jac flesh out his stories on Delaney Bramlett
(giving Jac a death threat, which resulted in Jac sacking them
and terminating their contract on the spot) and Freddie Neal's
heroin shenanigans.

Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  15:47:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hows the cd btw? I've only read the article

the Forever Changing five (!) cd box set is good too, though theres the odd duffer by the Incredible String Band on disc 3

She comes in colors, My little red book, Alone again or & August turn up on the set as well
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page