Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  08:43:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I think that the first really decent remaster was the one that was included on the definitive Love Story 1966-72 compilation from '95. Of course the two sides of the album were divided between the two discs - it was reported in the music press at the time that this would provide the listener with a nostalgic reminder of what it was like to have turn the LP over.
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  15:18:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tedhead

Most would say that getting a vinyl copy on a good turntable is the best way to listen to it and to get that studio sound. It would be hard to argue with that. For now, I like 5 channel stereo pumped in from the recent masters since there seems to be no chance of a remix in surround. But it seems I mostly listen to Forever Changes in the car (on cd, not mp3). I might pop an mp3 on if I am at the computer.

I just don't see how the mix could be tampered with if the tapes are missing. However a poor remastering job which pushes everything up and is compressed at the same level can be annoying. I am just not sure if that is what happened with the 2 disc set, compared with the 1 disc master from 2001. Some day I will do a comparison, but it doesn't look like anyone else here did...

Its not a re mix, its a rough alternate mix that Botnick made back in the day, which someone somewhere found.
probably a preliminary mix, someone must have kept a copy.
Go to Top of Page

tedhead
Third Love

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  15:31:50  Show Profile  Send tedhead an AOL message  Reply with Quote
John9: That is the way I first heard Forever Changes. I had it, but one of the discs is damaged.

Waxburn: I know it is not a remix, and I never said it was. That is why I said the mix couldn't be tampered with, please re-read what I said (you did quote me after all). I know it is an alternate mix because that is what the 2 disc set says it is. What I was questioning is how folks here can say certain instruments are pushed up in the original mix because of the mastering job.
Go to Top of Page

LeeRob
Fifth Love

397 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  15:56:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my case I am confusing terminology because I am confused. I assume an actual "re-mix," cannot be made except through the board with the original creation. Is that correct? The "loudness," spoken of comes from what; a tinkering with a second century copy?
And, the master recording. . .can't a technician boost or otherwise change the sound as the master is re-pressed? I have assumed more than I know about these processes.

It's all the same day.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  17:06:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe some of you are familiar with what the Stones did with their catalogue back in 2002? I think they "re-mastered" some of their early stuff and if I'm correct called it a "hybrid" disc. I have some of them and one in particular stands out..High Tide and Green Grass. When I first heard it I jumped out of my chair beacuse the sound was incredible. I really noticed a BIG difference between the early recording and the new one. Now I'd think that that was because the engineers must've had the original tapes to work with. "London" records sure wasn't so dopey as Elektra to dump or not take care early Stones stuff.... So from that if we want a really good mix, re-master whatever of FC we need the masters. Usually when I play FC I play the cd not my old record which revere. It's gone through the handling and listening wars but i will not part with it. It's a million buckaroos to me!...
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  23:34:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the Love Story I always saw as a botched job. Why have Forever Changes across 2 discs? why not have the focus on the 1st couple Elektra albums (which were rather hard to find at the time, let alone in MONO!) on disc 1 and then have Forever Changes on disc 2?

And Four Sail wasn't reissued to cd for a LONG time... I think the Red Sox had won the World Series by that point

It DOES have a nice book though!
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  15:55:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tedhead

John9: That is the way I first heard Forever Changes. I had it, but one of the discs is damaged.

Waxburn: I know it is not a remix, and I never said it was. That is why I said the mix couldn't be tampered with, please re-read what I said (you did quote me after all). I know it is an alternate mix because that is what the 2 disc set says it is. What I was questioning is how folks here can say certain instruments are pushed up in the original mix because of the mastering job.

I think the best way to look at it is that there are 2 "original mixes", one used and one not.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  17:23:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
put Bruce Botnick on the case, he'll get to the bottom of it!
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  00:52:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LeeRob

In my case I am confusing terminology because I am confused. I assume an actual "re-mix," cannot be made except through the board with the original creation. Is that correct? The "loudness," spoken of comes from what; a tinkering with a second century copy?
And, the master recording. . .can't a technician boost or otherwise change the sound as the master is re-pressed? I have assumed more than I know about these processes.

It's all the same day.

KD: Hey LeeRob. You would need the full multi tracks to do
an actual "remix". A remaster could be completed by simply
re EQ uing the two track analog master. This would not technically
be a "remix"
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  01:15:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey kd..let me take the time to shake yer hand for being a fine musician......I guess you're the quiet kind with no book in ya, eh????????.....
Go to Top of Page

LeeRob
Fifth Love

397 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  01:22:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks kd, that makes perfect sense.

It's all the same day.
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  18:09:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

hey kd..let me take the time to shake yer hand for being a fine musician......I guess you're the quiet kind with no book in ya, eh????????.....

KD: Thanks Rocker. Actually I have been working on a book.
Some has to do with music, some not. It definetly will have
a chapter on Noel, and one on Arthur.

go to: www.corsicaband.com to see more on the music, or
search Facebook with my name to see the latest video I've produced
with some pretty talented and well known people.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  05:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vinyl is always my preference as I compare all the CD versions of FC...

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  06:13:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its been suggested that Michael Stuarts name was left off the back cover of FC on vinyl after he sued Arthur in court (and won)

don't know how much creedence (clearwater revival)
I give to that theory though
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  20:04:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and after looking at my copy of the FC vinyl .I see a "Breadcrust" ? (billing with Maclean on Alone Again Or and Old Man-is that Arthur???)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page