Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

LeeRob
Fifth Love

397 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  19:51:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many things have happened to me in the past few years, and believe it or not I've just now given a listen to RHINO's Forever Changes Collector's Edition, "Original Album," disk.
Have they re-mastered it? The mix sounds different to me; all the little things which made the various cuts so fine, seem to be pused up front of the mix. Like the guitar on Alone Again Or, and the drums on the same cut; they sound enhanced. In A House Is Not A Motel, the same critique applies.
It could just be that I've listened to the old vynal more; I rather never adjusted to the coldness of cd's.
Has anyone else noticed this?
Sorry if you've already had this discussion; If so pass me the thread please.

It's all the same day.

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  02:58:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There seems to be an added guitar to the alternate Daily Planet

I like the fart on the new bonus tracks, but I'm not sure the album was really NECESSARY

I do like how Rhino kept the FC album on one disc, but I'm surprised they didn't just do justice to the album, put out a box set and release it on Rhino Handmade. If they're putting out a 15 cd box set for Wild Man Fischer (the Fischer King)
or a multi cd for the Head soundtrack (great soundtrack, but theres only SIX SONGS!)
why not put the album out in mono (its not that different in mono, but well)
along with any live tracks they have of the band at the Whisky (just rob Neils house!) along with backing tracks, early takes, COMPLETE tracking sessions, and Bryans 60s demos (for Capital?)

and of course any publishers demos they might come across

Although it seems the master tapes for the album were lost when Elektra moved; its a mystery where the alternate mix of the album (complete on the Collectors double FC cd)
is from; its not really that different to the released album, to my mind, only interesting here and there with the count ins and the lengthier fades (Red telephone that means you!

Considering its the best album ever recorded (well, either Forever Changes or Abbey Road; Forever Changes certainly was a peak for Love!)
Rhino Handmade should just get on it

And hope they don't limit it to 500 copies like the Headquarters Sessions 3cd, otherwise people will be pillaging for it in the street!

Go to Top of Page

LeeRob
Fifth Love

397 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  16:09:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amen.

It's all the same day.
Go to Top of Page

tedhead
Third Love

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  09:45:52  Show Profile  Send tedhead an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So what you are saying is that, along with the 2 disc reissue, I should hold onto the 2001 single disc because the original mix on the 2001 disc is better? I haven't compared the sets yet. I have listened to the alternate mix and enjoyed, say, Arthur's rap at the end of "You Set The Scene". I would dread making a comparison between the two original mixes to hear the second one turns out to be overly compressed.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  17:16:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know

I'm not sure sure theres much really "new" to warrant a 2cd re re rerelease of Forever Changes

On the plus side, the liner notes are very good

I barely listen to the 2nd disc howsoever, although I ALWAYS listen to Forever Changes, at least once a month for the past 25 years
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  18:24:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LeeRob

Many things have happened to me in the past few years, and believe it or not I've just now given a listen to RHINO's Forever Changes Collector's Edition, "Original Album," disk.
Have they re-mastered it? The mix sounds different to me; all the little things which made the various cuts so fine, seem to be pused up front of the mix. Like the guitar on Alone Again Or, and the drums on the same cut; they sound enhanced. In A House Is Not A Motel, the same critique applies.
It could just be that I've listened to the old vynal more; I rather never adjusted to the coldness of cd's.
Has anyone else noticed this?
Sorry if you've already had this discussion; If so pass me the thread please.

It's all the same day.

i think its a rough mix, maybe a remaster dont know, i think in the book, Bruce Botnick mentioned that new mix and said he doesnt know where it came from that it could have been a prelimary mix he made. i agree its not as good as the original.

Go to Top of Page

LeeRob
Fifth Love

397 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  17:07:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One gets used to the original sounds. I prefer the cuts when the band was directly involved in the studio; especially Arthur's production vibe. Why tweek something in the first place?
I recall when the BEATLES' Master Recordings were issued Ringo said something like: I don't remember all those cymbals being there.
If the effort is to enhance sound and not re-do the mix, I guess that's cool, but each time someone with good intentions re-news the original effort a part of the soul of the original is lost. In my humble opinion.

It's all the same day.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  17:28:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
joe m...Although it seems the master tapes for the album were lost when Elektra moved;

Now I'd really wish someone wojld find those tapes and then I'd love to hear the release from those "masters". Just wondering where Elektra's heads were at by not saving "masters". I'd thik it iomporanmt for a recording company, eh? As for the tapes,I don't think they're lost per se I just think when a 5-finger discount appears people take it.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  17:34:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it could be worse. when changing house in the early 70s the BBC got rid of everything

including old Doctor Who sessions of course
Go to Top of Page

tedhead
Third Love

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  18:26:22  Show Profile  Send tedhead an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I thought the remasters were just that: remasters, not remixed. They can't touch the mixes if they can't find the master tapes, which is unfortunate because I read Botnick wanted to make a 5.1 surround mix (I'm crazy about those, especially being a Pink Floyd and King Crimson fan). The only thing I am worried about are the "loudness wars" that everyone has talked about, with compressing the music to where everything sounds too loud with no sense of dynamics.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  19:23:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what people liked about the recent Beatles masters is that they weren't LOUDER, so to speak, but used the original mix (whether it was mono or stereo) as a template to work from

still wanna hear Abbey Road (the Beatles best) in mono though! Forever Changes in mono isn't of interest btw

has anyone heard the vinyl only tracks off Lost Lost by the way? I transferred the vinyl singles I have (Love jumped through my window, Stay Away) to cd so I can listen to them without wearing the single

Perhaps Forever Changes sounds better on vinyl? I do miss the original Forever Changes (late 80s release) cd, just cos I had that on tape so long (from the cd. Was years before I had a cd player!)

It would be interesting to hear the Sundazed vinyl of the Love albums howsoever
Go to Top of Page

LeeRob
Fifth Love

397 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  18:49:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been thinking more about this mix, re-mix, master recordings, etc., as I listen to a disk of RAM (P.MacC) and play with the equalizer to try and reproduce the sound that I once got off of the album, as I hand-waxed the hardwood floors in the apartment at 8 Lincoln Street, in Brunswick, Maine -- off of my Garrard Zero 100 turntable, through my Bose 901 speakers -- I can't get that sound (of course) so the question to all you producers and audiophiles out there is: Is there a best way to listen to these tunes to get as close as possible to the original sound captured on the studio mics? Preference, home equipment, lost memories and vibes play into the reproduction efforts of the listener, but where can one fairly start to listen to the original creation? (he asked)

It's all the same day.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  19:59:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gotta tell you, have fond memories of dancing around at my local community college to Forever Changes at age 20 listening to a tape of the cd on my cassette walkman

tis all one!
Go to Top of Page

tedhead
Third Love

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  20:11:15  Show Profile  Send tedhead an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Most would say that getting a vinyl copy on a good turntable is the best way to listen to it and to get that studio sound. It would be hard to argue with that. For now, I like 5 channel stereo pumped in from the recent masters since there seems to be no chance of a remix in surround. But it seems I mostly listen to Forever Changes in the car (on cd, not mp3). I might pop an mp3 on if I am at the computer.

I just don't see how the mix could be tampered with if the tapes are missing. However a poor remastering job which pushes everything up and is compressed at the same level can be annoying. I am just not sure if that is what happened with the 2 disc set, compared with the 1 disc master from 2001. Some day I will do a comparison, but it doesn't look like anyone else here did...
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  20:26:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand theres a Japanese release of the album on cd in a mini sleeve

haven't heard that

AM nostalgic for the original release of the album on cd from 1988 (87?) just cos the tape of that was such an intimate part of my life for such a long while

The cd too, considering, from 93 forward..
Go to Top of Page

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  07:23:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the '88 version was the first CD I bought...still have it...the less-than-stellar mastering does add a bit of mysteriousness to it :).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page