Criminal Records in UK Guardian
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  00:58:53  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's an article in today's Guardian (UK National daily paper) sparked by George Michael that namechecks Arthur:

'One cliche is for pop stars to "find God" while in jail. Love's Arthur Lee even told the Guardian that God had instructed him to reform his band, the Lord Almighty apparently a big fan of Forever Changes.'

The author, Tim Jonze. writes well and hey he namechecks FC, though he's basically sceptical. As they say: any publicity...

Keep on shining

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  10:29:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this Lizzy - I've just found the link to the article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/sep/15/george-michael-pop-stars-prison

Good to see the Stones there at the top of column - the closing of the prison cell door I believe is the sound effect at the start of We Love You...from the very same year ...and my all time favourite track by the boys from Dartford.

We forget the place we're in
Cause we love you
Of course we do
......and I hope you won't prove wrong

Edited by - John9 on 17/09/2010 10:41:24
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  18:31:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thx for the article john.In it Arthur says he was "framed". Anything to be said on that?
Go to Top of Page

LeeRob
Fifth Love

397 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  18:55:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
J9, Ah the Stones, I've seen just about every US tour since '65; love 'em. I was on a farm in Bowdoinham, Maine when We Love You was on the radio; very strange in that very rustic place. I told the world that I heard the Beatles' voices on that record (remember records), and sure enough it turned up years later that John and Paul were in the mix. The song, and the b side were recorded quickly to thank the fans for all the great response of backing during the drug busts over in Britain, and the cell door indeed represented that the overnight stay was over. (All this is as I remember it from the day, and shouldn't be taken as "rock history," necessarily.)
By the way, God is a great companion when yer down n out.

Hey, where's Jellybean?

Edited by - LeeRob on 17/09/2010 18:56:59
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  19:37:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fond memories of Bowdoinham, LeeRob.

I lived in a cottage on Merrymeeting Bay just across from the Cemetery one summer. I still have a friend that lives on a sheep farm in Bowdoinham...she is a graphic artist and sheep lover.

Good to "hear" your voice again...here at the best Love forum on the planet. I have always found it frustrating that at some forums it seems to be a sin to discuss anything but the subject the board is named for. Here we have Love fans first, that enjoy discussing our LOVE of music, soccer, movies, politics, or whatever...

Edited by - lemonade kid on 17/09/2010 21:27:16
Go to Top of Page

LeeRob
Fifth Love

397 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  20:49:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lk, thanks, good to be "talking," again. I'm alone again more :) so's I guess turning towards old friends is natural. I've been through a lot of trips since Veronica died, drugs, drink, etc. I've got my head on a little straighter now.
This site has alwasy been a comfy place, with great folks who DO speak their mind on all subjects. If I'm not on board, I'm usually not anywhere.
Merrymeeting Bay is going to be all colorful like a bowl of Trix soon, I wish I could get away from the grind and get back there sometime. My ex-wife (a great gal) does sheeping in a Maine town.
P.S. As to my "sign off," Does anyone know how Kirsty (Jellybean) is doing. I miss her girly charm. :)

Hey, where's Jellybean?
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  21:31:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LeeRob

lk, thanks, good to be "talking," again. I'm alone again more :) so's I guess turning towards old friends is natural. I've been through a lot of trips since Veronica died, drugs, drink, etc. I've got my head on a little straighter now.
This site has alwasy been a comfy place, with great folks who DO speak their mind on all subjects. If I'm not on board, I'm usually not anywhere.
Merrymeeting Bay is going to be all colorful like a bowl of Trix soon, I wish I could get away from the grind and get back there sometime. My ex-wife (a great gal) does sheeping in a Maine town.
P.S. As to my "sign off," Does anyone know how Kirsty (Jellybean) is doing. I miss her girly charm. :)

Hey, where's Jellybean?

My condolences to you, LR. I can relate, as I lost 4 close family members in the last 5 years, but fortunately not my soul mate, as you did.

Anytime you need us, we are here, my Yankee friend. This is the time of year all Northern New Englanders live for. I am going back someday for good.

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  21:55:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi LeeRob - I was sorry to hear of your recent sadness - and I wish you an easier road ahead. Yes you're quite right about John and Paul being on We Love You. When the single was originally released the papers over here were saying that it it sounded just like a Beatles record. I suppose that L - M were returning the favour that Mick had done them on All You Need is Love. I wonder if in either recording, any dual meaning was intended for the word 'Love'........it would be nice to think so.

Edited by - John9 on 17/09/2010 21:56:32
Go to Top of Page

LeeRob
Fifth Love

397 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2010 :  04:00:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmm, that may be stretching it a bit ('cept for us). Do you suppose Shakespeare knew of the group, he was always throwing love all around. :)

It's interesting that so much stuff concerning the British side of things were left out of the American press in the sixties. Do you know that I was a complete Monty Python fan, but never knew the extent of their breasty pictorials until I got cable this decade! They never showed all that stuff over here; and to think that we were all shocked because "bloody," was a dirty word over there. I have an extreme Beatle fan friend who always says, "Gee, if we could only have heard/seen/knew all that stuff back then! What don't we know now I wonder.
Sorry, got totally off the subject.

Hey, where's Jellybean?
Go to Top of Page

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2010 :  23:07:16  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John9 You've got me following Guardian links:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2004/feb/06/love

Blue Eyes?
Blue Eyes?

How did I miss them?

Keep on shining
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  21:32:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't know Arthur had Beethoven as a soul brother. But it fits alright, two revolutionaries doingn their thing...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page