Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2010 :  22:43:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lk - I like the Byrds btw. Not got to the Neil (been interviewing for circus jobs, eBay positions, and so forth)

I can't imagine why someone would want to write a book like the Wake, as it is literally impossible to read. It ends at the beginning besides, and you need to know several languages just to get the puns. Is there a plot? anyone? and how does the chicken figure in?!
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2010 :  13:58:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re: Portrait of the Artist...took old JJ 10 YEARS to write!!..

You know regarding Joyce they say he supposedly wrote to shock his readers back then. I'm not sure. Unique writer from a unique fellow. Pretty well read as noted. It's not from anything that he had a love/hate thing with the island where he came from. Finnys Wake, I'll try to read it one day but I think one has to "prepare" for it. For now, I'd say to anyone who wants to get into JJ start with his fine stories in the "The Dubliners". Joe especially for you they're I think "accessible"!!!.....
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2010 :  17:39:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really awful...i actually took it back to the book store and got a refund!
I seem to remember the author being obsesed with A.L. being into Gnosticism....no, me neither ..lo.l.
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2010 :  21:26:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ALLANAGAIN

Really awful...i actually took it back to the book store and got a refund!
I seem to remember the author being obsesed with A.L. being into Gnosticism....no, me neither ..lo.l.

KD: Hey AA - my thoughts exactly. This book was written
under the premis that Arthur just sat around his house
reading the Greek Classics and books on ancient Christian
mysticism.

What a bunch of high brow BS. I couldn't finish it either.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2010 :  23:32:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dubliners is superb. So is Joyces poetry (Chamber Music)

The wake though.. I don't know.. Ulysses is a STRUGGLE but its not impossible (give the Oxen of the Sun chapter a miss altogether)

but the Wake...

Christ, what was he thinking? maybe he could've written another play or something rather than that "Work in Progress" which was the last thing he ever published (I think some filthy letters he wrote to his wife came out posthumously?
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2010 :  22:19:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eng Lit 198..
Re JJ....he loved language..we can see that from the 1st sentence in Portrait of the Artist. So FW was just a place where he oculd play around with it. Also, I think what freaks us all out is the fact that the book has no real plot and character conventions. FW was a book where he looks like he was working on "invention" all the way. He sure wasn't lloking to get on the NY Times list. hey JJ was an artiste... I think he would've liked FC!...
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2010 :  22:42:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have you read the Wake?

I've always tended to see that book as James Joyces Metal Machine Music release!
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2010 :  13:58:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no joe....supposed to in lit class though!!!......I too just didn't like JJ's long stuff. I think really for the most part he's a critic's writer.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2010 :  14:05:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And so if you have Finny's W on the shelf remove it and add "Lennon Remembers"...heh heh it 's better!!!!!...;-)....for me one of tje greatest "memoirs" ever written......and of course miles ahead of 33/1/3!!!!!!!........
Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2010 :  13:43:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I couldn't finish the book, soon got tired of it.

Reason for bumping the thread is that I didn't realise that it had been made into an audiobook in 2008, there's a 5 minute extract that's just been posted to YouTube if you haven't read it and want to get a flavour of the prose:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpZeI1sAPlA

The whole audio book is 2 hours 52 minutes!
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2010 :  18:38:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikeb

I couldn't finish the book, soon got tired of it.

Reason for bumping the thread is that I didn't realise that it had been made into an audiobook in 2008, there's a 5 minute extract that's just been posted to YouTube if you haven't read it and want to get a flavour of the prose:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpZeI1sAPlA

The whole audio book is 2 hours 52 minutes!

KD:Hey Mike. You and me both. Very rarely do I abandon a book
in mid read either. What a boring, high brow time waster that was
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  17:26:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
whoa..hearing it certainly is soooo different!...It does sound like some sort of academic paper with self-importance. I can see where you guys didn't like it. Hukltkrans ain't no Hemingway that's for sure...;-)...But I'd like to suggest that what counts is the ideas in the book about the band and Arthur. That I think is more important than the presentation. Some guys just don't know how to present their ideas very well when they write.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  02:11:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its rubbish!
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  15:26:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You got me thinking since you sure are very opinionated on the book. Would be nice to get the old boy in here to defend his book!! I'd love to see some debate around here especially from music writers. And believe me Love can sure inspire debate out there.
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  20:25:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

whoa..hearing it certainly is soooo different!...It does sound like some sort of academic paper with self-importance. I can see where you guys didn't like it. Hukltkrans ain't no Hemingway that's for sure...;-)...But I'd like to suggest that what counts is the ideas in the book about the band and Arthur. That I think is more important than the presentation. Some guys just don't know how to present their ideas very well when they write.

KD: Hey Rocker. That seems to be the problem with the book.
There's NOTHING really in it about the band, or Arthur. Just
a lot of high brow references to Gnostic Mysticism and how the author
thinks Arthur must have spent all his spare time sitting around reading that stuff and Classic English Literature.

yea, right.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page