ladylove
Fifth Love

276 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2010 :  23:26:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gatemouthmoore

That's father's in the fireplace and my dog lies "hip-mo-tized"

GMM

Hahaha...I always thought it was my BOTTLE's in the fireplace Which leads to my favorite lines, "Through a crack of light I was unable to find my way. Trapped inside a night but I'm a day and I go boop di di boop di di YEAH!!"

LOVE and peace to all,
JJ

Edited by - ladylove on 28/01/2010 23:47:48
Go to Top of Page

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2010 :  01:00:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe you did a great job with the words from A House is not a Motel but the most telling line is...By the time that I'm through singing the bells from the schools of War will be ringing.

GMM
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2010 :  01:26:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

KD, rocker and Joe.....

KD-First, I like 33 1/3 on Love also. Not that Arthur read all that stuff, just that Arthur (& as some of those guys never read each other) had something more going on---on various levels...Arthur had some religious background and some philosophy and a lot of street smarts that added to his personal and unique point of view. Some which naturally seemed to got much deeper when you dig deeper!!

KD: Hey LK, I'm not saying that anyone shouldn't compare the lyrics to other sources or look for deeper or hidden meaning in them.
I just found that little book to be a bit pretentious, and in the
long run BORING. I kept at it hoping to get to the "good part" but
it never arrived.

Free the books !

Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2010 :  04:49:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"schools of war" ... interesting..

maybe that ties in with what Echols was talking about in Love story,
about a guy coming back from Vietnam and talking about how blood looked brown when mixed in mud

or whatever it was

didn't Buffalo Springfield allude similarly in one of their songs (I Am a Child) - "when black is brown"

its a great track, A House is Not a Motel, but what the hell does it mean?

and why "A motel" particularly? why not a "home"? was Arthur living in the hotel? or was that just Jim, living across from Love Street

Inquiring minds want to know!!

Stuart's drumming on "Motel" is the best on the album - wow, lifts it off the ground

Go to Top of Page

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2010 :  05:57:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe I think the title refers to the time Love lived at the Castle. Groups they knew who were on the road would opt to stay there instead of checking into a motel, since each member would invite their friends to come on over, the place would become overun with people.

It seems like Arthur was trying to send a not so subtle message "Our house is not a motel"

I love the story where Echols came up to his room and found Grace Slick in his bed and told her "you've got to split man I need some sleep" those dudes lived the life.

GMM
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2010 :  07:16:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its an interesting title!

clearly some thought went into some of the titles (You set the scene, Alone again or, The red telephone, The good humor man he sees everything like this, Maybe the people would be the times or between Clark and Hilldale)

Nesmith also had a habit of having songs with titles that didn't appear in the songs themselves (Good clean fun, Some of Shellys Blues)
but even the album being named Forever Changes is pretty profound!

gotta love Holzman dissing Four Sail - he just spoke of the album like it was the worst album ever released

Okay, you can't compare a song like "Good times" to "Live and let live" or (god help us) "Revelation"

I mean its a jolly song about the death of their roadie for a start!

The lyric sounds like "Schools of walls" upon listening closely - but that doesn't make any sense.. "Schools of wars" perhaps? I hear an 's' at the end!

Follow up questions:

1. Where is Bryan Maclean on Four Sail? I can't hear him!
2. Did Snoopy and Tjay get along?
3. Perhaps the Love band should've given the last tour a miss after the promoter declared bankruptcy?
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2010 :  14:24:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe it was Arthur talking to a returning soldier, who told him when a dead soldier's blood mixed with the mud, it turned to gray.
There is no brown. But that is what he is referring to. And that is exactly why the lyrics are almost uninterpretable, cause you couold never infer that.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2010 :  14:27:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know how they got that "house/motel" but he must've got a kick out of the fact that it was Bela's (old Drac!) before they moved in. I'm sure the allusion to "shackles" came from that..wha?..horror hotel???..
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2010 :  19:18:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gatemouthmoore

Joe I think the title refers to the time Love lived at the Castle. Groups they knew who were on the road would opt to stay there instead of checking into a motel, since each member would invite their friends to come on over, the place would become overun with people.

It seems like Arthur was trying to send a not so subtle message "Our house is not a motel"

I love the story where Echols came up to his room and found Grace Slick in his bed and told her "you've got to split man I need some sleep" those dudes lived the life.

GMM

KD: You're both wrong ! The title is a play on the (then) current
hit written by Burt Bacharach / Hal David "A House Is Not A Home"

Free the homes !
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2010 :  20:52:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..and MOTELS!!!!

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2010 :  21:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, kd. Just another wink from Arthur to Burt...afterall, he got Burt B. pretty steamed over Love's
cover of "My Little Red Book"! I picture Arthur with a bit of a devilish smile while singing just
about every Love song.

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2010 :  21:51:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A house is NOT a motel LemonadeKid!!

I really mean it!!

You can save up to 50% but you're still a long ways from home...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2010 :  06:12:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I'm confused......

jayson_valentine
Third Love

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2010 :  13:54:23  Show Profile  Visit jayson_valentine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The title of the song is a euphemism meaning that one's home should not house strangers. Arthur was boldly stating the US shouldn't be in Veitnam. It has nothing to do with The Castle.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2010 :  19:08:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
um, sounds more like the Castle than Vietnam

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: