Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

BobbyFischer
Fifth Love

Norway
440 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  23:24:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Close John,had to google it goes like this "We want the finest wines available to humanity we want it here and we want it now!!" setting: trip from Uncle Montys cabin to the nearest village drunk as skunks,"rejuvinating" in this cosy cafe that hasnt changed since the 50s,inluding the clients and people working there :).Priceless!! Love that movie
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Thanks Bobby - and Withnail and I is a terrific film. What was that immortal line shouted out in a quiet little tearoom in Keswick? It went something like this: "I demand the finest wines this country has to offer.....I want them here........and I want them now!"

Edited by - BobbyFischer on 09/12/2009 23:44:30
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  11:52:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks Bobby.....I see that you have President Obama in your country today!
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  14:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know i'm just think of some of the scenarios that can come from that upcoming game on June 12.

1. England wins/US loses ..all's well in the football world. The football gods are right in their heaven!
2. US wins/England loses..the football world turned upside down. But but if the pundits rap about the "death knell" of English football then the country will have to be prepared for what I think will be the most ridiculous comments on what it would all mean just because a few US guys beat'em in a WC game. We'll get the same. I can see the headlines if we win by 1 goal....US CRUSHES ENGLAND ONE-NIL!!!!! A new dawn in US soccer!!! The crowd roars and all genuflect in front to King Donovan!. (meanwhile some will say can't that guy get a game in Europe???)...oh man what we all have to think about!...
Go to Top of Page

BobbyFischer
Fifth Love

Norway
440 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  16:27:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah! I was quite shocked when the nobel comitee announced Obama,and I still think its to early,great president who I have high hopes for but he hasnt actually done so much allready..That said he held one hell of a speach where he explained the paradox of being involved in twø wars and getting the peace prize.
quote:

quote:

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  14:39:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Togo is now out of the African Nations Cup. 3 of their football team are dead and the their team had to go home. I hope this incident isn't going to affect the Cup later on'...FIFA says not to worry.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  15:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is certainly worrying, Rocker ....though I think what happened here had quite a lot to do with the special problems that Angola faces in the Cabinda enclave...which is territorially separate from the rest of the country. Although South Africa has an extremely high crime rate in certain areas, there is probably a much lower risk of political terrorism...and of course it has a much more fully developed infrastructure. I would imagine though that the organisers of the London Olympics will be keeping a keen watch on what happens this coming summer. This said, as we have seen to the cost of both our countries, and most recently of course over Detroit, Al-Qaeda are an ever present threat...both to our safety...and to civilisation.

Before last night's City against Blackburn game, an impeccably observed one minute silence was held for the men who died in Angola.

Edited by - John9 on 12/01/2010 15:47:11
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  22:07:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know I picked up the BBC news and they noted that Togo was told by a rebel commander that there would be trouble if the team went in there. Not sure if they thought it was an unreliable threat but the commander was at his word and tragedy struck.
And I'll tell you something it's to Britain's credit that there hasn't been an "incident" in any of stadiums when a Premiership games is played. I'm sure they have their work cut out for them each week.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page