Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  19:50:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh boy England vs US square off first..very interesting....looking forward to this one...the pundits are already talking!....

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  20:03:05  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, the general consensus over here (I've just been watching the draw) is that England should find it fairly easy to qualify in that group
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  22:10:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the US against England will find it tough. If the US manages to win it'll not be from open play! PK's would be it! Hmmmmmm..this can't be like like Rushden & Diamonds and ManU????????......
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  22:13:10  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Let's be honest, if England lose to the USA in the World Cup they don't deserve to be there and should pack up and go home
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  12:38:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I look forward to it....

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  15:42:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People shouldn't write off the Americans....they've come a long way since England's 10-0 win in New York back in 1964. Now of course they have a decent world ranking together with quite a lot of Premier League experience. I suppose that soccer has never quite embedded itself into the American national consciousness in the way it has in Europe and Latin America. But of course we've seen huge expansion of its popularity in Africa and the Far East.......and so the USA could be a major force before very long.

Everyone has heard of the USA's World Cup win against England in Brazil in 1950. But in the very first World Cup in 1930, the Americans actually reached the semi-finals! And don't forget that they are still the reigning Olympic champions in Rugby Union!!

Edited by - John9 on 05/12/2009 15:43:26
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  15:54:38  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

People shouldn't write off the Americans....they've come a long way since England's 10-0 win in New York back in 1964. Now of course they have a decent world ranking together with quite a lot of Premier League experience. I suppose that soccer has never quite embedded itself into the American national consciousness in the way it has in Europe and Latin America. But of course we've seen huge expansion of its popularity in Africa and the Far East.......and so the USA could be a major force before very long.

Everyone has heard of the USA's World Cup win against England in Brazil in 1950. But in the very first World Cup in 1930, the Americans actually reached the semi-finals! And don't forget that they are still the reigning Olympic champions in Rugby Union!!

No one can discount anyone because, after all, there are always 'freak' results in any event, that's the luck of it. However, my point was really that England should beat the USA, there's not doubt where the experience lies and it's obviously with England. Like you say football still isn't really a 'national game' in the USA and the players just don't play at the level of those in Europe. Unless there are some major cultural changed in the USA (with the sports that are huge) I can't see it changing for a long time yet, if ever.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  15:28:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
caryne..Right, the pressure I think is on England to win. They are the much better team alla round especially technically. But what will be done if they lose? Will you take'em back????......Anyway, it's too bad it's not our national game. All the good athletes go to baseball, basketball and football..more pizazz, more fame, more money. I think it all goes back to when "soccer" started to get played here...it was perceived and (still is i think) an "immigrant" game here even though it has made some inroads in the past few years. Will take us a while to get talked about as really a force to be reckoned with when it comes to being WC champions. Personally, I'd like to see it in my lifetime!.....and I have to be honest I really would like the US to beat England not for the simple talk of syaing they "beat England" but for it's own confidence that they can play and win the big games that count and put a stake in the ground for future success at the WC ..
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  15:38:28  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't care less who wins in any sport, to be honest, I was merely speaking factually that England are the better team (in their group, not just against the USA) and should really be ashamed of themselves if they don't win.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  18:17:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
caryne..Aren't you putting a bit'o'pressure on the lads??? Such is the power of expectations I guess!...
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  18:34:12  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

caryne..Aren't you putting a bit'o'pressure on the lads??? Such is the power of expectations I guess!...

Well, I don't think they'll be caring what I think but all the media, over here, are pretty much saying the same and, to be honest, it shouldn't be pressure to be looking to beat teams who are, statistically, much less able than you are.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  20:20:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only noted that because in ther past few years the expectations for England have been very high but they really did not win the big one. Hopes usually have been dashed for a team that has a great deal of talent. When it comes to winning it appears that England just hasn't done the business when they are showered with much expecatation. I say lay off a bit and they'd probably perform and go on to win.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  21:54:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and john thanks for the lift...It will be a tough tournament for the US who don't have the luxury of continuous history and success in the Cup. Oh to be Brazil, an England or Italy or Germany with all the stuff to feed off of.......
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  21:57:07  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As usual the English press have been highly patronising to the teams that stand in our way in South Africa. I know I should be patriotic and support my team but if the USA were to beat us in game one I would find it hard not to have a little grin on my face. Half of our players think the sun shines out of their rear ends.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  22:26:23  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kula John

As usual the English press have been highly patronising to the teams that stand in our way in South Africa. I know I should be patriotic and support my team but if the USA were to beat us in game one I would find it hard not to have a little grin on my face. Half of our players think the sun shines out of their rear ends.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....

I actually think 99.9% of all players of any nationality think the sun shines out of their rear end (that probably goes for most professional sports people if I think about it).
I often get a smile when a tiny nation beats a large one at any sport BUT, and I am just being factual here, the other three teams in England's group are of (general) lower ability level so I'm not sure it's really patronising to speak the truth. Of course unexpected results can happen, England could end up bottom and be coming home really soon, but the hard facts are it would be a bigger shame if that happened to them than to any of the other sides in their group where the expectation is less. This isn't being patronising or patriotic it's just speaking of statistics in the same way that if, say, in Tennis, Roger Federer was playing someone seeded 100 places below him, you would, normally, be expecting Federer to win.
Go to Top of Page

BobbyFischer
Fifth Love

Norway
440 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  23:13:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Rankings Usa at 14, England number 9,I wouldnt call that statistically much less able.. I think England will advance but dont underestimate Usa,they have become much better the last 5-10 years.

Edited by - BobbyFischer on 07/12/2009 23:20:32
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page