Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2009 :  14:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Different Drum...that had to be a top 40 hit or so for Rondstadt and the Stone Ponys....right a fine song ..sure didn't sound like a top 40!!....and do you know what he's doing now?...producing? writing?
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2009 :  17:43:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
last I heard of Nes he was writing with Douglas Adams

And that was years back as they went with another director and Douglas Adams remains dead

hopefully he still has the black Gresch!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2009 :  17:56:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

Different Drum...that had to be a top 40 hit or so for Rondstadt and the Stone Ponys....right a fine song ..sure didn't sound like a top 40!!....and do you know what he's doing now?...producing? writing?

Ya..still doing it all. He released his "RAYS" lp in 2006; his second NOVEL, "The American Gene", was released in May of 2009 and is available as a download at his Videoranch 3D site....a free sample is available.

His latest project is his Videoranch 3D site that hosts live performances at various virtual venues inside the Ranch. He performed live inside the Ranch on May 25, 2009.
It is a very cool site.

http://www.videoranch.com/html

In short he has never "retired" and remains active...constantly.

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2009 :  22:05:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..thanks for the updates......whoa..cool it is...Nesmith is just one
hell of a creative guy!....the Monkees'll do that to ya!...
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2009 :  23:40:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, but whens Volume 4 of the Monkees Missing Links coming out!
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2009 :  09:39:19  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid
I would trust a MOJO mag review about as far as i could throw it!! ...or any other review. I make up my own mind about the music I hear and when I agree with a reviewer, I call it luck. Most of MOJO's editors are in their 20's and 30's (no offense)...but that puts them in a different place to be able appreciate or review certain releases.as I would...just my opinion. That's why I put little stock in a good, or bad review.

I guess you mean you 'wouldn't' trust a MOJO reviewer? I think that a little unfair as there opinion is as good as anybody's! Actually most of the people involved with the music mags are considerably older than 20 or 30 (if they were that young there might not be the obsession in the mags with The Beatles!!) I'll think you'll find most are in the 40's/50's or even older. It's the NME where you will find the younger journalists. To be honest though, age isn't a factor for me as I know young people with great taste and older people with terrible taste. With reviews I tend to only really take a lot of notice if they all say something is rubbish as then, in my experience, it usually is There is so much new music to listen to and I do need a way to filter it out somehow or else I'd spend all my time having to do it myself
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2009 :  14:54:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well if the NME has younger journalists as you say I'd think their editorial side should balance it with the geezers you know? And that's for perspective as well as history. (maybe they don't thave old guys because they might cost too much???.....) It also would enable both groups to sort of intermingle with each other when it comes to criticism and suggest new thinking. I'd think neither the young or the old have last says on what constitutes good or great music. 50/50 on the staff I'd say!...
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2009 :  16:05:41  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

Well if the NME has younger journalists as you say I'd think their editorial side should balance it with the geezers you know? And that's for perspective as well as history. (maybe they don't thave old guys because they might cost too much???.....) It also would enable both groups to sort of intermingle with each other when it comes to criticism and suggest new thinking. I'd think neither the young or the old have last says on what constitutes good or great music. 50/50 on the staff I'd say!...

You are right that no age has the last say on what is good or bad but it's who magazines are aimed at that is the key as to the age of its journalists (in general). The NME is aimed at a 'young market' and 'MOJO' (and similar magazines) are aimed at the 'older' music fan. I guess it's generally accepted that people of the same 'generation' have a better idea of what might be liked/disliked.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2009 :  22:27:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya ....it's all about the fan base. Rolling Stone holds little interest.
Mojo--sometimes. The Grammys..never. I owner why?

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2009 :  00:11:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

But the great days of Rolling Stone....they were really something were't they? When I was a student in Leicester during the early 70s, I almost never missed an issue...and I think that they played a very valuable role around the time of Watergate. I wrote to them once .......and eventually received a personal reply from Cameron Crowe....who very much later became a film director. I only wish I'd kept the letter.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2009 :  05:55:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

But the great days of Rolling Stone....they were really something were't they? When I was a student in Leicester during the early 70s, I almost never missed an issue...and I think that they played a very valuable role around the time of Watergate. I wrote to them once .......and eventually received a personal reply from Cameron Crowe....who very much later became a film director. I only wish I'd kept the letter.

Rolling Stone was THE only rock mag in the 70's and I loved it.
Maybe that is why I am so sad when I read a new issue. I shouldn't be so hard on MOJO..they have done some great reporting of late and I have a thing you might say, against reviews in general....but that that is only for the people who READ the reviews and let that dictate their tastes. We are just trying to make a living doing what we love.

I take it all back...I just found my MOJO issue with it's twenty something editors that picked "Pet Sounds" as the greatest rock album of all time (late 90's)

I'm OK now....

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2009 :  11:00:07  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

quote:
Originally posted by John9

Rolling Stone was THE only rock mag in the 70's and I loved it.
Maybe that is why I am so sad when I read a new issue. I shouldn't be so hard on MOJO..they have done some great reporting of late and I have a thing you might say, against reviews in general....but that that is only for the people who READ the reviews and let that dictate their tastes. We are just trying to make a living doing what we love.

I take it all back...I just found my MOJO issue with it's twenty something editors that picked "Pet Sounds" as the greatest rock album of all time (late 90's)

I'm OK now....

The thing is with reviews is not to let them 'dictate' but they can be very helpful as I have found many great bands through reviews, especially when they say a new band is in the same genre as one you already like. Reviews and reviewers have their place.

Mind you, I still don't get why you say MOJO has 'twentysomething' editors? Which editor was this? The current editor is in his 40's and I'm sure others have been around that age too.

Edited by - caryne on 21/11/2009 11:00:33
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2009 :  15:55:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I fear I've hurt LK with the knowledge that Mojo dissed the Prisoner!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2009 :  16:23:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

I fear I've hurt LK with the knowledge that Mojo dissed the Prisoner!

Being an old guy...everybody younger than 50 is 'twenty SOMETHING".... My only point about Pet Sounds was it was cool that the staff of MOJO chose an album as BEST EVER in "Pet Sounds"..an album that was created before many of the MOJO staff were born. COOL.

ANd YES, my ham-handed point is to take every review with a grain of salt. I too discovered some of my favorite artists thru reviews. Most good reviews will usually find something positive even with a negative review...that's all I ask...the good with the bad. MOJO is alright. It's not a good review just because I agree.

And ya, Joe, a bad review of Nesmith's "The Prisoner" by any magazine will get me heated....but then my opinion is no more valuable than anyone else's. We all know what we LoVE...that's all that counts.

Cheers all! Guess my bad review of bad reviews got us talking, eh? And that can't be BAD.....

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  05:11:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wasn't there a book too?

Pet Sounds? what is this Pet Sounds

I really have to check out Nesmiths first book when I've a mo. Really want to reread the Lord of the Rings during the holiday, then maybe start Finnegans Wake
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page