Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  05:31:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing I was pleased to note in the new Love Lost cd is the mention of the year (2010) that the new Love biography is due out

Now, I understand the author has done good work in the past; personally though, I would be interested in a book that told the truth, that didn't whitewash what really happened

The best book I've read this year (on the Church/Steve Kilbey) - called No Certainty Attached - is great cos it doesn't shy away from, basically, the drugs. Particularly heroin. Kilbey was a functioning junkie for years, and it had to be dealt with

Like a recent biography on Douglas Adams I was watching (Life the universe and Douglas Adams) where they touched on everything but Douglas's radical atheism, which really defined him (his best joke in the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy was where the Babel Fish proves the non existance of God as said fish's very existance is a logical impossibility and can't have come about by mere chance - vanishing God in a puff of logic, with Man getting killed on the next zebra crossing

Any biography on Love, particularly Arthur, will have to touch on some unsavory issues. By the end of Love most of the band were on drugs, and then you have the whole relationships within the band (Snoopy hating Tjay (cursing him out in Zigzag magazine)
Bryan's limiting of songs as they do not fit in with Love

and, essentially, the relationship between Arthur and Bryan, which really seemed to hold the band together creatively... going kaput

This John Einarson has got his work cut out for him! LOL
Might check out his Buffalo Springfield book - anyone read that?

I'm more intrigued by reading in the Love Lost liner notes that Bryan and Arthur sang "She comes in colors" at the Fillmore East in December 1970 live.. I guess Bryan was recording for Columbia at that time (another ill fated project - I THINK it was Columbia)

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  05:51:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've read Einarson's Buffalo Springfield book and he pulls no punches. It is written through the many interviews of friends and contemporaries that knew them, and personal accounts by each of the Springfield members. He is not afraid to tell it like it was..if there is an unsavory story to be told, it will be.

His bio of Gene Clark is quite detailed from the early days of poverty as a youth in Missouri to his undiagnosed bi-polar disorder and drug addictions. A well written book about a troubled and talented artist.
If the Clark book is any indicator, we will know all there is to know or all that was revealed about Arthur and Bryan and all of Love.

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  17:02:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
only know Gene's work from the first Byrd albums, unfortunately

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  18:54:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gene's solo work is brilliant...guess I'll have to get you to play catch-up. Especially "White Light" and "No Other".

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  19:11:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

One thing I was pleased to note in the new Love Lost cd is the mention of the year (2010) that the new Love biography is due out

Now, I understand the author has done good work in the past; personally though, I would be interested in a book that told the truth, that didn't whitewash what really happened

Any biography on Love, particularly Arthur, will have to touch on some unsavory issues. By the end of Love most of the band were on drugs, and then you have the whole relationships within the band (Snoopy hating Tjay (cursing him out in Zigzag magazine)
Bryan's limiting of songs as they do not fit in with Love

KD: Not to mention the Manson Family connection, the death of the roadie and the Donut Shop Robberies !

What a group !

Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  20:59:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't think they killed Neil, although they DID write a very jolly song about his death!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  22:22:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He blew his mind out in a car.....poor Paul.

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  01:15:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't notice that the lights had changed

Isn't that always the way ?
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  01:56:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I look forward to the book, and of course if it doesn't pull punches that is even better.

There is no need to try and gloss over things, or pretend that certain incidents never occurred. It is what adds to the mystique of Love and all of its mysterious band members from the original lineup to the later incarnations.

I am currently re-reading the MOJO Heroes book, which I know has lots of misinformation, but I am sure there is also some serious truths in there too. For many reasons I suppose there are members of this board that want to stray away from some of the less than desirable moments in the history of Love. This clearly lead to some of the craziness that ensued between myself and some members here. Many members here either were involved personally with the band, or knew people who were and in some cases were members of the band.

I look forward to the book, it should be a good read and maybe will shed some new light on this group of musicians and their true legacies.
Go to Top of Page

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  03:15:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find the whole brou-ha-ha over the current "Love" book project, fascinating. We have gone from chastising the writer for possibly being unfair or unkind to the protagonists and now we're wondering if he will not be, too kind?

It seems to me, that when a writer is hired by the family of the person or persons he's writing about, said writer must necessarily be made of some pretty strong "stuff" lest the whole thing take on the appearance of a vanity project.

My feelings are that there is only one person still with us who knows the whole truth
and so far he has chosen not to share the full extent of those truths with us!

We shall see, what we shall see.

Edited by - gatemouthmoore on 12/11/2009 04:32:43
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  03:35:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand Echols has been interviewed for the book

I love Michael Stuart's book - okay, he was just the drummer, but he saw a lot (Arthur reading books on songwriting, ol'Snoopy going out of his head in LA, the using)

An uproarious read - too bad he never revised it!

Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  04:35:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I liked the Michael Stuart book quite a bit. I still want to get the Ken Brooks book. I cannot find it however.
Go to Top of Page

BobbyFischer
Fifth Love

Norway
440 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  08:22:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im absolutely sure the dougnut bandit story is bogus but just found a pretty cool comic frontpage of Kenny and Johnny in "action" :
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wL-5bnm3pSM/SMYzp-bgjLI/AAAAAAAAAFU/ifiQjhsMrC8/s400/love+cover+3.jpg
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  08:47:01  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gatemouthmoore

My feelings are that there is only one person still with us who knows the whole truth
and so far he has chosen not to share the full extent of those truths with us!

We shall see, what we shall see.

Exactly, it's very hard to discuss something none of us have read yet. As we have seen many times, speculation gets us nowhere....
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  14:17:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An as far as speculation I'd be surprised if Mr. Einarson doesn't take a look/see here after the book gets out. I mean Love's "constituents" are here,eh?????
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  15:34:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand people were pretty rude to him here so he won't post, unfortunately

The Brooks book on Love, Love Story, occasionally turns up on eBay, along with the CastleBlue cd & dvd releases. Otherwise you're stuck spending $200 or whatever Love Story's (the book not the breakfast cereal) going for on Amazon

Here in NYC there used to be Midnight Records which used to have issues of the Castle & Love books, but since they've closed their store on 23rd, I think theres only a site!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page