Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  09:02:51  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

It's best to remember some sage words from Freed's board moderators concerning
a disruptive member(s) who used Ed's board for a place to vent radical political views, or
who were just plain offensive to other members (mind you, warnings were given and
extreme latitude was practiced for a long time)....to paraphrase:

Membership of any board is NOT a right... but a privilege.
Freedom of speech and opinion is always honored, but continued abuse of other members, or
offensive behavior, can not be tolerated-- so in fairness to all members, those who abuse
this privilege will be banned.

So... live and let Love....

Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.
--william saroyan

I find myself agreeing with you again LK and the comments you posted from another forum.
I might mention that, personally, if it is relevant when discussing how you feel about something I really don't feel it a bad thing to talk politics (especially as we have a section here for 'Anything Else') it's only when people use it as a forum for continually giving 'party political broadcasts' that it can be a problem, it hasn't happened here but on another forum I have come across people who are members of the BNP continually posting propagnada for instance.
No one who moderates fairly will act as 'thought police', like Johnny says we can have 'open and honest debate', it's just a question of remembering that and, when someone disagrees with you, not to get nasty or accuse the other person of having a go at you. 'Live and let Live' and just remember that everyone is entitled to agree or disagree as long as it is done in a reasonable and fair way. All a moderator has to do on any board, as I have already said, is to ensure this happens and I am sure that is all Torben wants.
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  16:41:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I first became aware of this site in 2004, we utilized a 'chat room' that was linked to this board, that to me was very cool. It was the scene within the scene. The members would 'get together' on Sunday early afternoon (U.S. Eastern time ), and not only talk about anything, but also got to know one another on a more personal basis. I learned at the time that (and forgive me...my memory is failing), that I think it was Tina's hubby who was a DJ on a radio station in England, and I would e-mail him some song requests and he would play them making reference to the requester and where they were from. His music station could be heard LIVE over the Internet. And of course, there was always someone from somewhere that would request a LOVE song, and we all were just so excited to hear these songs LIVE on the air. I say all this because that's how tight this group was at the time...always positive and very friendly.

Many members from back then have long since left the board (LarryNYC-for one and once in a great while Jim and AllanAgain comes around), but there was great camaraderie and good times. Even Torben would come 'chat' once in a while.

The chat-room would be a good place to have 'lively discussions' and perhaps threads such as "Arthur's Confidence" would bode better in that type of atmosphere.

I personally try to stay away from 'he-said-she said' type of posts, and though I visit the site often, I only try to make remarks on posts that are friendly and might add value to a topic. I now lurk more than I post, but I'm still here because of LOVE and Arthur Lee, and Johnny, and Bryan, and Kenny, and Michael...and I will admit (for myself) the later musicians in the band after Four Sail mean somewhat less to me.

Perhaps we should give thought to re-vitalizing the chat room, if it would be in Torben's bandwidth, where 'lively' discussions could take place and only those logged in at the time would be the only one's involved, unlike whereas on this site, all laundry is wide open to public exposure.

LOVE to all

Allan

Edited by - Allan on 20/10/2009 16:44:14
Go to Top of Page

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  16:52:33  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Allan, it wasn't my husband, it was Gill's husband Colin who was the Radio DJ. I also remember those chat room sessions with a lot of fondness - it was 9pm Sunday evening in the UK - and really felt it was a great way of keeping in touch with other Love fans. Lizzy and I met a number of the British ones like Gill, Caryne, George (Old Man), Scottish Keith, Steve 64, John E and many more at the UK gigs and it was quite a community. Also people from outside the UK like Aake from Sweden, who must be the best travelled Love fan in the world - or is that Martin from South Africa?

Anyway, they were great days and there was a lot of excitement around to do with the band touring. Whether we can get back to that again is another matter but its certainly worth seeing if Torben can arrange it. I chat to various people online, particularly in the US, via Facebook and that works pretty well.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  17:39:04  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tina

Hi Allan, it wasn't my husband, it was Gill's husband Colin who was the Radio DJ. I also remember those chat room sessions with a lot of fondness - it was 9pm Sunday evening in the UK - and really felt it was a great way of keeping in touch with other Love fans. Lizzy and I met a number of the British ones like Gill, Caryne, George (Old Man), Scottish Keith, Steve 64, John E and many more at the UK gigs and it was quite a community. Also people from outside the UK like Aake from Sweden, who must be the best travelled Love fan in the world - or is that Martin from South Africa?

Anyway, they were great days and there was a lot of excitement around to do with the band touring. Whether we can get back to that again is another matter but its certainly worth seeing if Torben can arrange it. I chat to various people online, particularly in the US, via Facebook and that works pretty well.

Yeah, those days were great fun and, along with all the gigs that we all went to and met up at in those days it was one of the nicest times in my life. Without the band being around I'm not sure it will be quite the same but I'd certainly be up for trying the chat room again, if it could be organised.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  21:02:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the very early days of 2002-03 ie during Love's amazing renaissance, we would email our reviews to Torben who would then post them under 'news'. Speaking as someone who was not a member at the start, my feeling is that a separate chatroom might take something away from this board. That so many people have wanted to contribute to it over the years, I believe is a testimony to its profile and vitality. What has built up in that time is a remarkable (and I would think valuable) archive of reviews, reminiscences, news items, and points of view. I am certain for example, that the BGO re-release of Vindicator took some of its liner notes from our contributions. It is true that when we see minor disagreements descending into the complete farce of online hostility, then our enthusiasm will diminish......well mine does at any rate.....last week I went for seven days without even looking at the board. What brought me back was the reminder of the many great discussions we had had previously.

Oh and one more thing.......please come back, Scully. I especially remember how you helped to resolve the irksome Sheffield/Bath 1970 difficulty and I for one would be sad to think that we had lost your intelligent insight and dry sense of humour for good.

Edited by - John9 on 20/10/2009 23:02:22
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  22:19:11  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

In the very early days of 2002-03 ie during Love's amazing renaissance, we would email our reviews to Torben who would then post them under 'news'. Speaking as someone who was not a member at the start, my feeling is that a separate chatroom might take something away from this board. That so many people have wanted to contribute to it over the years, I believe is a testimony to its profile and vitality. What has built up in that time is a remarkable (and I would think valuable) archive of reviews, reminiscences, news items, and points of view. I am certain for example, that the BGO re-release of Vindicator took some of its liner notes from our contributions. It is true that when we see minor disagreements descending into the complete farce of online hostility, then our enthusiasm will diminish......well my does at any rate.....last week I went for seven days without even looking at the board. What brought me back was the reminder of the many great discussions we had had previously.

Oh and one more thing.......please come back, Scully. I especially remember how you helped to resolve the irksome Sheffield/Bath 1970 difficulty and I for one would be sad to think that we had lost your intelligent insight and dry sense of humour for good.

Since this forum has existed I have been posting on and off (depending on personal circumstances) regularly. The chatroom only happened for a couple of hours on a Sunday night (well, in theory it was there all the time but people all agreed to meet once a week). I think it added to the forum as it gave us a friendly place where we could chat, joke and generally meet up, it was like going for a night out with friends only we didn't actually go out.
People got to know each other a lot better in a chatroom and I think the 'bad feeling' and misunderstandings that seem to appear on a forum just didn't happen because people were there to explain themselves immediately if someone didn't get what the other person was talking about.
During all the time the chatroom existed the forum flourished without any of the problems it seems to have had recently, at that time I think many of us felt we were all friends, it was a time that it would be great to try and rekindle.

Edited by - caryne on 20/10/2009 22:22:00
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  09:24:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Not that I would know about such things, haven't chat rooms largely been replaced these days by Twitter? My only concern about all this is that you could end up with an inner clique...and consequently two classes of contributor. I tend to post here only after some reflection......the immediacy of chat rooms and twitter doesn't really chime with my own personal karma. (I'm a Libran after all!) And who would decide what was a suitable discussion for the board and for the chat room......and how would all this be policed? I honestly believe that our board has grown organically to be what it is now....and to me that is one of its great strengths.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  09:32:31  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Not that I would know about such things, haven't chat rooms largely been replaced these days by Twitter? My only concern about all this is that you could end up with an inner clique...and consequently two classes of contributor. I tend to post here only after some reflection......the immediacy of chat rooms and twitter doesn't really chime with my own personal karma. (I'm a Libran after all!) And who would decide what was a suitable discussion for the board and for the chat room......and how would all this be policed? I honestly believe that our board has grown organically to be what it is now....and to me that is one of its great strengths.

Chat rooms and twitter just aren't the same thing, you still aren't talking in real time in twitter, just posting random comments. The chat room was, like I said, just like a night out with mates in the pub, no-one decided what was to be spoken about, topics just appeared, sometimes to do with 'Love', sometimes anything else that happened. Obviously everyone from the forum could join in to whatever degree they wanted so there was no more of a 'clique' than on any forum which has a mix of regular and occasional posters. Like I said, it really helped to build a bond between people which is something I feel has been, sadly, missing over the last few years.

I would be interested to hear other people's views on this.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  06:10:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
eh, whats Twitter?
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  16:34:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tina-Thanks for the update-it was indeed Gill and Colin. Looks like I lost a few more neurons (as in brain cells )

The old chat room brings back fond memories. I looked forward to chat time back then. It was more personal-a great opportunity to have fun real time. I forgot who it was that was visiting Oregon or Washington or somewhere on the West Coast at the time and I was kiddingly asking if I could be a stow-away on her luggage back to England so I could catch some gigs with Arthur and Baby Lemonade at the time. The band was touring England and all of you were counting how many gigs that you each saw...where and when. I think Caryne traveled to someplace where she had to wait 'til the next day to catch a train back home because the trains ran to that place very infrequently. In any event-it was personal and real time, and we got to know each other just a bit differently because of the different medium utilizing Chat vs. Messageboard.

That brings me back to the point. Chat would enable a different way for board members to really get to know each other. I'm not saying that we could choose to discuss topics such as "Arthur's Confidence" in chat. Discussions happen, controversial or not, anywhere and anytime. But what chat did was offer a more personal understanding of the member's lives and personalities, which I believe led to a very positive Messageboard. For example, I learned that Caryne was a teacher, that Colin had the radio show, that Jim was employed in the rail system, that another member was a college student, that Aake had the FC cover pic tattooed on his one arm-and the LOVE logo tattooed on his other, that LarryNYC was a roadie for groups in England in the 70's, that Ed was probably the #1 Doors fan and had his own site going for them, etc. etc. etc. And like I said, even Torben would come chat sometimes.

Imagine, just imagine, Johnny coming on chat and letting his stories and memories just ebb and flow. Perhaps I could somehow convince Michael to come and chat sometimes (he does lead a very private life, but I have learned more about LOVE from him that goes above and beyond what he says in his book). We could perhaps learn more about Lemonade Kid, who certainly has gained a primary presence here on the boards. And we could learn more about Thomas. I guess my point is that when you learn more about the person and their life, the easier it is to understand why they say whatever it is that they are saying.

I obviously endorse chat (and I guess I'm trying hard to sell the idea ).

Nurse Allan checking out .
Go to Top of Page

torben
Fifth Love

Denmark
328 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  16:55:08  Show Profile  Visit torben's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Setting up the chat room would be no problem. Just let me know.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  17:11:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first thing you would learn, Alan, is that I am a dial-up dinosaur...Can one even join in a chat with dial-up?!! (you already know I am a keyboard "klutz")

My "primary presence" here was purely by accident and the fact that Torben and all you fine mates keep me coming back...more than I ever realized (I just looked up the profiles numbers...holy crap!! How did that happen?!) I hope none of you are thinking, "Why doesn't LK just shut up and listen!!" I hope I add some sound thoughts, facts and wit from time to time...sometimes I wish I would just shut up and listen!!

--william saroyan

Edited by - lemonade kid on 22/10/2009 17:12:33
Go to Top of Page

LeeRob
Fifth Love

397 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  19:29:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Everyone, Frankly I cut a lot of slack to the LOVE board members. You have always shown me a true intelligence when creating threads and responding to all the various ideas circulating on the board. It is the reason that I sometimes take the chance of being a bit tart in my comments; it's not to be rude, I simply feel that I can "trust," the members to open-mindedly accept another personality expressing an opinion.
Torben, I don't get the bad vibes from our members. I figure we're all sitting around this large oak table, doing whatever it is that we're doing, and having a conversation. If a spat occurs, oh well, it's pretty normal. As far as gossip goes, I agree with George Harrison, who expressed it so well: it's the Devil's Radio.
We can try to avoid it, but really it adds spice to many conversations.
I believe it would be better to let the board live and change as it is, rather than make any censorship changes. Thanks everyone for being honest and thoughtful about this little window we sit by to talk.

All misspellings are purposeful...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  23:44:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LeeRob

Hello Everyone, Frankly I cut a lot of slack to the LOVE board members. You have always shown me a true intelligence when creating threads and responding to all the various ideas circulating on the board. It is the reason that I sometimes take the chance of being a bit tart in my comments; it's not to be rude, I simply feel that I can "trust," the members to open-mindedly accept another personality expressing an opinion.
Torben, I don't get the bad vibes from our members. I figure we're all sitting around this large oak table, doing whatever it is that we're doing, and having a conversation. If a spat occurs, oh well, it's pretty normal. As far as gossip goes, I agree with George Harrison, who expressed it so well: it's the Devil's Radio.
We can try to avoid it, but really it adds spice to many conversations.
I believe it would be better to let the board live and change as it is, rather than make any censorship changes. Thanks everyone for being honest and thoughtful about this little window we sit by to talk.

All misspellings are purposeful...

Some good points...things seem to work themselves out...a very few times things just can't resolve themselves...a very few. I trust Torben on that for resolution.

--william saroyan
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2009 :  16:58:53  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by torben

Setting up the chat room would be no problem. Just let me know.

For all the reasons Allan says, I think it would be great to have the chat room again. Not sure how often I could join in these days, due to my husband's work I am now free during the day to post on the board not really on the evenings but I'm sure I would pop in now and then.

Allan - I went to lots of gigs for Love where I had to stay overnight because I couldn't get home but I expect the one I spoke about was Gloucester Guildhall as it was really close to where I lived, around 40 miles, but there was no train back home after about 8.00pm for some daft reason.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page