Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

admin
Forum Admin

Denmark
40 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  17:37:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the last few weeks there has been a lot of ”bad vibes”, pain and trouble on the board, especially the topic “Arthur's Confidence”. It’s quite a pity that all this upset many people and make them stay away from the board.

Most of the posting here are positive and do give a lot of good insight, but a few ones are spoiling it

I have been thinking about what I could do and the easiest would be simply to close the board.
But my passion is to keep the music and memory of Love alive, so for the moment it will continue, but I might concider a “harder line” and a censorship on the topics.
All this would take a lot of time from my side, so getting one or two moderators to help me could be a possibility.

It would be great if Johnny Echols would post here to tell about his musical life rather then having to clear out false allegations.

I want facts and no lies or speculations.
So from now on if you don’t have any good things to talk about – stay away.

I want this board to be positive and friendly, after all it’s about Love

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  17:58:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by admin

In the last few weeks there has been a lot of ”bad vibes”, pain and trouble on the board, especially the topic “Arthur's Confidence”. It’s quite a pity that all this upset many people and make them stay away from the board.

Most of the posting here are positive and do give a lot of good insight, but a few ones are spoiling it

I have been thinking about what I could do and the easiest would be simply to close the board.
But my passion is to keep the music and memory of Love alive, so for the moment it will continue, but I might concider a “harder line” and a censorship on the topics.
All this would take a lot of time from my side, so getting one or two moderators to help me could be a possibility.

It would be great if Johnny Echols would post here to tell about his musical life rather then having to clear out false allegations.

I want facts and no lies or speculations.
So from now on if you don’t have any good things to talk about – stay away.

I want this board to be positive and friendly, after all it’s about Love

Absolutely, Torben..and like Ed's forum, there is always "the ban"...to be used on disruptive members. I don't understand the folks that say they love Arthur but wish to speculate and gossip, spreading unfounded rumors, just for sake of "discussion". Are people so bored with all the good vibes about Love, they wish to get some controversy going?
This is not a "let's trash our hero forum".....

The worst result would be for Johnny to no longer post here, believing this forum to no longer be about Love, but about pain & acrimony.

It must be disheartening to come back to your board and find such bad vibes going on. The "board" always seemed to manage itself so well. I admit I have a tendency to NOT read certain posts when I see their name attached to posts....and I visit less.

All we need is LoVE.

Cheers Torben....keep the faith!
I guess I would issue private warnings and if that doesn't help....the BOOT.

Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.
--william saroyan

Edited by - lemonade kid on 19/10/2009 18:02:55
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  18:02:38  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with 99.9% of what you say LK (the only bit is that Arthur was not 'my hero' as I tend to avoid heroes, no one being perfect and all that)
I have said many times about these speculations that often cause disagreements that we simply 'don't know' and that's what I honestly feel. Let's stick to the positive and focus on what we do know that Arthur Lee and Love (whoever they are) have produced some of the greatest music of all time.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  18:07:56  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"The worst result would be for Johnny to no longer post here, believing this forum to no longer be about Love, but about pain & acrimony"

Totally agree.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  18:11:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caryne

I agree with 99.9% of what you say LK (the only bit is that Arthur was not 'my hero' as I tend to avoid heroes, no one being perfect and all that)
I have said many times about these speculations that often cause disagreements that we simply 'don't know' and that's what I honestly feel. Let's stick to the positive and focus on what we do know that Arthur Lee and Love (whoever they are) have produced some of the greatest music of all time.

The hero reference should have been in "quotes". I think you know what I mean, hopefully now, C.....in "hero" I meant musically speaking, as in what would Love be without Arthur....there would be no Love, so in effect, Arthur is the "hero" of the forum-the guy-the main man--who we respect and admire for his music. Anyway the best heros in a "story" are the ones that are not saints, but real and human, having to overcome many of the everyday problems we encounter...look what Arthur overcame in his life to end up at his peak with his final UK tours. Way to go, Arthur.

The Board is about Arthur & Love....& there is a rich & documented history here about Love and Arthur, so let's try NOT to drudge up rumors or falsehoods for the sake of a "lively" discussion.

I realize some just don't get what we are saying, and never will. Sad.

Kind regards to all here....

--william saroyan

Edited by - lemonade kid on 19/10/2009 18:16:00
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  18:27:57  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

The Board is about Arthur & Love....& there is a rich & documented history here about Love and Arthur, so let's try NOT to drudge up rumors or falsehoods for the sake of a "lively" discussion.

I realize some just don't get what we are saying, and never will. Sad.

Kind regards to all here....

--william saroyan

Hear, hear again LK.... very well put
Go to Top of Page

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  19:42:28  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Torben. First may I say that I think and have always thought that you do a brilliant job with this site, and I sincerely hope that you don't close this board.

I am one of your "Old Loves"(?) and have posted quite a lot over a number of years. Basically I look at this board most days, and post when I think I have something reasonably interesting to say, otherwise I just have a quick look and go away. My view is that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I don't mind the odd outlandish comment being made as long as its not downright abusive. Free the free speech!

P.S.And I don't mind becoming a moderator if you want one. Love Tina.

Edited by - Tina on 19/10/2009 19:43:39
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  20:40:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely wish Johnny would post more. his liner notes for the Stay Away b/w You I'll be following
were engrossing, and he was the unsung hero of the Love Story documentary, certainly

Wish I knew what records Echols played on, especially any sessions with Miles. His recent WFMU interview was engrossing actually

Perhaps Gethsemene will see release in the coming year, through Sundazed or an online site (CDBaby is good for the purpose)

It seems Johnnys updated the Just Another Day in the Life page
though - cool!

http://thefreedomman.com/love/Johnny11.htm
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  22:23:10  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this post Torben. This board is fantastic. It's the only music messageboard I use regularly. The work you do to keep it going is brilliant and it would be a real shame if you had to close it. I love signing in and reading new posts. I discovered Love very late and this site has taught me so much about AL and the band. I love hearing people's memories from the 60s and gigs they've seen.

It's a real shame some members don't post here anymore. I've seen other messageboards become dens for insults and sniping. It's not healthy and not pleasant. Remember the name of the band that brings us all here.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

The sweet disorder
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  23:00:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's Torben's board and quite rightly what he say's goes......however.....I do find this back slapping of how people should be posting a little bit too much. I do agree that there was a an unfortunate choice of words in the Arthur's Confidence but I for one do not think that the person involved intended to cause any malice with this judging by the number of good posting's he's made and an attempt on his part to try and keep this board going when lest we forget people had made a decision not to post due to Arthur's non-arrival for the last tour.

I personally hope that people involved in the aforementioned post keep posting, however, Moderation will not be required for me as I left primary school a long time ago and this is the last post I'll be making.

Very Shabby

Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  23:25:03  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is the only forum I have ever visited which hasn't been moderated, far from the concerns of the previous poster that it makes forum's seem like a 'primary school', I find it tends to keep things on a sane level and stops people getting offended when they perceive that people are having a go at them or from posting things which could well be slanderous and/or cause untold problems.
A good moderator behaves like a good referee, he/she does not stop the 'game' for petty reasons but certainly ensures that it does not get 'out of hand'. A good moderator treats everyone equally and does not take sides, they merely ensure that everyone plays 'fair'.
In the 'unreal' world of the internet, where misunderstandings can often occur because of a poor choice of words or a backfiring joke, I believe a fair, impartial moderator improves a board whilst making sure that sensible debate and discussion is never stifled.
Go to Top of Page

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  23:31:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Torben, as a regular lurker and occasional poster, just want to thank you for your site and this forum. Without it I would have never found out about the 2009 tour, Sundazed release, fantastic insights from Johnny and Mike, and so much more from over the years. Your points regarding the recent negativity are well founded, and I hope you figure out a way to keep things going in a POSITIVE way!!!
Go to Top of Page

aldo
Third Love

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  02:02:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to say thank you for a great message board it is a good one and at times very interesting and I completely understand the need to moderate as there is nothing to be gained from arguments or insults to fellow messageboard members even worse when its about the band we all like very much, As for speculation I feel sometimes thats all thats left with cult bands like love when concerning active discussion everything comes down to speculation (how many times can one comment on how amazing FC is or what version of signed DC is better) and I have done a fair bit of speculation myself on the subject of their career, the only thing I have come across with decent info is the electra liner notes and I guess thats all one needs to know I did not realise people were getting offended so I am just going back to enjoying the records without having to know what they were wearing at sessions forty years or so ago, so thanks again it was nice speculating etc with you all,

Edited by - aldo on 20/10/2009 02:04:46
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  02:10:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's best to remember some sage words from Freed's board moderators concerning
a disruptive member(s) who used Ed's board for a place to vent radical political views, or
who were just plain offensive to other members (mind you, warnings were given and
extreme latitude was practiced for a long time)....to paraphrase:

Membership of any board is NOT a right... but a privilege.
Freedom of speech and opinion is always honored, but continued abuse of other members, or
offensive behavior, can not be tolerated-- so in fairness to all members, those who abuse
this privilege will be banned.

So... live and let Love....

--william saroyan
Go to Top of Page

johnnylovejoy
Second Love

38 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  03:35:03  Show Profile  Visit johnnylovejoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Torben,I would like to offer my sincere thanks for your
expending the time and effort required to keep this
board alive, I know it must be a trying and sometimes
exasperating job, yet one which we all greatly appreciate!

However we must be carefull, not to fall into the role of
"Thought Police" that would defeat the whole purpose of
the board!

I hope we can get back to the open and honest debate this
board has sponsored for so many years!

As for "me" I can take it, give it your best, I'm a big boy.

My thoughts are let's be respectful of each other, try not to
be rude, and again let Moms remain offlimits to spectulation,
otherwise "Watson" let the games begin anew!

Go to Top of Page

scully
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
217 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  03:54:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The sweet disorder

It's Torben's board and quite rightly what he say's goes......however.....I do find this back slapping of how people should be posting a little bit too much. I do agree that there was a an unfortunate choice of words in the Arthur's Confidence but I for one do not think that the person involved intended to cause any malice with this judging by the number of good posting's he's made and an attempt on his part to try and keep this board going when lest we forget people had made a decision not to post due to Arthur's non-arrival for the last tour.

I personally hope that people involved in the aforementioned post keep posting, however, Moderation will not be required for me as I left primary school a long time ago and this is the last post I'll be making.

Very Shabby

Have to agree with this -- the level of 'bad vibes' on this board even recently has been pretty low IMHO, lower than the 'real' world at any rate... unfortunately it seems there's a very low threshold here for opinion.

It is of course Torben's site and it's entirely up to him how it's run, so if he feels moderators are required then that's how it has to be. But again IMHO, I don't think it's necessary.

So in the interests of everyone's sensibilities, I'll make this my final post here too. Since there's no way to do it myself, could the admin please remove my account.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page