Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  23:40:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No.1 The Doors- Couldn't believe it, utterly fantastic. As Butch said to Sundance "Who the hell are those guys"

No.2 Mr. Fantasy-also incredible

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  23:46:59  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For me, I think, to truly appreciate a debut album you need to be there when it is newly released, hearing it many years later just isn't the same. So I don't think I can, no matter how much I love them, list albums here that were issued when I was only a young child and I was unaware of them at the time. With this in mind, I think I would list my favourite debut album as

The Clash - The Clash
Tindersticks - Tindersticks
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - From her to Eternity

I'm sure there are others that I will think of in time.....
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  00:23:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moby Grape

Byrds

Velvet Underground & Nico

Fresh Cream

Led Zeppelin

The Band

Pink FLoyd

Kaleidoscope (UK)

& the DOORS, of course, mk!

(I was "there" of course for all these artists' first issue.....so mix in my sentiment and nostalgia .....along with some great LPs_)

Here's a list to argue over.....
http://www.chordstrike.com/2009/01/the-100-greatest-debut-albums-of-all-time.html

Edited by - lemonade kid on 26/08/2009 00:24:54
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  00:34:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like this list better from "Uncut" mag.....

http://www.discogs.com/lists/Uncut-Magazine-100-Greatest_Debut-Albums/505

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  00:51:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amongst the truly visionary debuts I would include:

The Beatles - Please Please Me

The Mothers Of Invention - Freak Out

Pink Floyd - The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

The Doors - The Doors

Jethro Tull - This Was

Spirit - Spirit

.......oh it's hopeless, there are so many....and I'm only at 1968! Great thread though.

Edited by - John9 on 26/08/2009 00:56:19
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  01:16:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

That's a pretty balanced list - too indie for me, but some excellent les well-known artists like Judee Sill and Vashti Bunyan.

For me, favourite historic debuts would have to by those by Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, Kaleidoscope (UK) (good call, lk), The Doors, BBHC, Spirit, Stackridge, Janis Ian - oops, this is getting long!!

More contemporary, stand-out by a mile is Kula Shaker's 'K', followed by Psychedelic Breakfast, The Coral, The Real People, Oasis
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  01:17:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Amongst the truly visionary debuts I would include:

The Beatles - Please Please Me

The Mothers Of Invention - Freak Out

Pink Floyd - The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

The Doors - The Doors

Jethro Tull - This Was

Spirit - Spirit

.......oh it's hopeless, there are so many....and I'm only at 1968! Great thread though.

HA! Right!!! Hopeless!

Good ones with Spirit and Mothers!! NICK DRAKE!! John Lennon.

Bryan MaClean!!

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  01:19:26  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mr.Tambourine Man
Are You Experienced?
Fresh Cream
Buffalo Springfield
The Doors
Quicksilver Messenger Service
Moby Grape

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  09:30:39  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by lemonade kid

Yeah, there's not a lot to disagree with there, except the dreadful 'Stone Roses', a band I consider to be bl**dy awful and a few other highly over rated acts, Oasis, Eminem and Guns and Roses. The rest, well, I don't like them all but I get why they are there.

Boombox - The Coral is a good one, a fine album.
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  11:14:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caryne

Yeah, there's not a lot to disagree with there, except the dreadful 'Stone Roses', a band I consider to be bl**dy awful and a few other highly over rated acts, Oasis, Eminem and Guns and Roses. The rest, well, I don't like them all but I get why they are there.

Boombox - The Coral is a good one, a fine album.

Defintely in agreement re The Stone Roses: WHY is that album so rated?

And as for the Coral, my only quibble with it, would still be why they didn't include some of the wonderful EP tracks on it.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  13:14:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually quite like The Stone Roses -perhaps it's the mancunian in me and of course, Manchester's music scene was definitely exciting in the late 80s/early90s....in some ways in resembled what I would imagine mid 60s Los Angeles was like. Last week, Radio 4's Front Row had a whole feature on the debut album which has very recently received the '2cd Forever Changes treatment'. Tracks that I feel have worn epecially well are Waterfall, Elizabeth My Dear (sung to the melody of Scarborough Fair) She Bangs the Drums and Made of Stone.

Edited by - John9 on 26/08/2009 13:18:12
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  14:34:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots of good music there on those lists! But boy we can argue 'til the cows come home on this one. I'm sure all of your best debuts come from your own listening experiences as caryne noted. I like the The Doors, ByrdsMr TM and VU up there and heh heh really I sneak in those great songs on 'Boston'...but didn't see it on the lists as it was noted! A major major major flaw in my estimation.......Tom Scholz should take umbrage! And too bad Love's 1st doesn't get in there. In hindsight it showed great potential as we saw when we got FC.
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  15:07:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think had Love released Da Capo as their debut, it might have made the list. Even if people don't like Revelation, no-one could deny how perfect Side 1 is. 'Love' is just a bit imbalanced in my opinion - not there are any particularly weak tracks, it just doesn't hang together very well.

What is interesting is that most of us have gone with 60s & 70s albums. Does anyone have any good debut albums from the 80s? I can think of lots of metal albums, eg Dio, Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Bon Jovi and not much else. Marillion's Script For a Jester's Tear deserves a mention, but outside metal and prog, I'm pretty much stumped.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  18:13:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is throwing a ringer in...this is my favorite debut album NEVER released (in it's day).

Under Milkwood's Self-titled 1969 album. Legal hassles over the already copyrighted title by Dylan Thomas prevented it's release

Airplane/Fairport infused female, female/male vocals in a psych blues, rock, jazz....you'll find good reviews along side poor reviews as being spotty. I love it. A rather innocent, trippy, hard rocking, mellow.......somewhere between It's A beautiful Day and Tripsichord Music Box.

Out of print but can be found. Beautiful cover on the Akarma CD release. I have the '93 limited ed vinyl on Fanny. #270 of 500.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 26/08/2009 18:14:41
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  18:25:27  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boombox

quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

That's a pretty balanced list - too indie for me, but some excellent les well-known artists like Judee Sill and Vashti Bunyan.

For me, favourite historic debuts would have to by those by Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, Kaleidoscope (UK) (good call, lk), The Doors, BBHC, Spirit, Stackridge, Janis Ian - oops, this is getting long!!

More contemporary, stand-out by a mile is Kula Shaker's 'K', followed by Psychedelic Breakfast, The Coral, The Real People, Oasis

Absolutely Boombox!!

Other notables for me are 'Up the Bracket' - Libertines, 'Is this It' - The Strokes, 'The Kick Inside' - Kate Bush, 'Incense and Peppermints' - Strawberry Alarm Clock' and 'David Bowie - Self-titled'.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  18:37:42  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

I actually quite like The Stone Roses -perhaps it's the mancunian in me and of course, Manchester's music scene was definitely exciting in the late 80s/early90s....in some ways in resembled what I would imagine mid 60s Los Angeles was like. Last week, Radio 4's Front Row had a whole feature on the debut album which has very recently received the '2cd Forever Changes treatment'. Tracks that I feel have worn epecially well are Waterfall, Elizabeth My Dear (sung to the melody of Scarborough Fair) She Bangs the Drums and Made of Stone.

Ah, this is where we agree to differ then!! The Manchester scene was great from the late 70's to mid 80's and then, for me, it went rapidly downhill. I'm not sure who has seen the film '24 hour Party People but I think the first half is great and then Ian Curtis dies and the Happy Mondays and their ilk appear and I can't stand to watch it.

I thought 'She bangs' was by Ricky Martin
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page