Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

ladylove
Fifth Love

276 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  00:13:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael Stuart-Ware is not a co-founder of LOVE, he is an extremely talented drummer who played on FC and Da Capo(no disrespect) There's a big difference. LOVE with Johnny Echols could never be called a tribute band because that would mean he'd be paying tribute to himself

What I find ironic is that nobody questioned when Arthur took various musicians into his group and called them LOVE and dragged the name through the mud...

I applaud Johnny and Baby Lemonade for attempting to revive and resurrect the music LOVE created, and I stand behind them firmly.

LET LOVE LIVE!!!!
JJ

Edited by - ladylove on 18/08/2009 00:19:47
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  00:13:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OOOOOH..this could really get us started, kula!! Good one about Floyd! Were the Bealtes not really the Beatles after Pete Best "left"? Or the Byrds after Gene Clark left? Oh yeah...& baited again...the Beatles WERE NEVER the same after Pete and Stu left!
THEY WERE BETTER, BETTER, BEST !

We like who we like and we make adjustments as needed to fit our likes and dislikes. Love is Love, if we want them to be...not, if we don't.

A tribute act (note "act") is a band?artist that seeks to emulate their "heroes", such as the Beatle tribute bands or the Elvis impersonators. And I agree that Johnny and Lem are NOT a tribute band....they are what remains of various forms of the Love Bands and are a celebration of LOVE.

It's cool either way as far ss I'm concerned. The debate sounds dead here....when a debate is about personal taste, it never was a debate in the truest sense...it was/is about what I like versus what you like and will likely never end except in "we agree to disagree". No debate..

My opinion?....ARTHUR was Love....his best version of his Love band was FC Love. Without Arthur, they are celebrating Love...that's all. They are not LOVE. I think Michael, if he could have joined in, would have been celebrating Love...with no illusions about BEING Love.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 18/08/2009 00:23:30
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  00:19:56  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by finelyfree

Michael Stuart-Ware is not a co-founder of LOVE, he was a drummer who played on FC.(no disrespect) There's a big difference. LOVE with Johnny Echols could never be called a tribute band because that would mean he'd be paying tribute to himself

What I find ironic is that nobody questioned when Arthur took various musicians into his group and called them LOVE and dragged the name through the mud...

I applaud Johnny and Baby Lemonade for attempting to revive and resurrect the music LOVE created, and I stand behind them firmly.

LET LOVE LIVE!!!!
JJ

Exactly, if others don't want to think of the current band as 'Love' that's their choice and their loss but to call them a 'tribute act' is plain ridiculous.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  00:23:54  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

OOOOOH..this could really get us started, kula!! Good one about Floyd! Were the Bealtes not really the Beatles after Pete Best "left"? Or the Byrds after Gene Clark left?

We like who we like and we make adjustments as needed to fit our likes and dislikes. Love is Love, if we want them to be...not, if we don't.

A tribute act (note "act") is a band?artist that seeks to emulate their "heroes", such as the Bealte tribute bands or the Elvis impersonators. And I agree that Johnny and Lem are NOT a tribute band....they are what remains of various forms of the Love Bands and are a celebration of LOVE.

It's cool either way as far ss I'm concerned. The debate sounds dead here....when a debate is about personal taste, it never was a debate in the truest sense...it was/is about what I like versus what you like and will likely never end except in "we agree to disagree". No debate. Opinion stated...move on.

My opinion?....ARTHUR was Love....his best version of his Love band was FC Love. Without Arthur, they are celebrating Love...that's all. They are not LOVE. I think Michael, if he could have joined in, would have been celebrating Love...with no illusions about BEING Love.

I love the way you say the 'debate is dead' and then give your opinion!!
I don't think Joe wanted a debate, he asked a question and got a variety of answers
You have stated that you believe that only a band with Arthur in can be 'Love', fair enough if that is what you think but personally I think, as others have said, that opinion is disrespectful to both Johnny and the guys who played as 'Love' for more years than ANY other incarnation.
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  00:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caryne

I've said many times it's up to Joe what he wants to do. However, it is clear many people feel strongly about this topic so it's hardly surprising that people wish to speak up and support the current touring 'Love'. I do find it interesting that the people who seem the most negative about the current band seem to be people who have never seen them, I wonder how anyone can be so sure of something without seeing it?

KD: Who's "being" negative ? Nobody. Joe and myself have seen Arthur Lee and Love many times and we're simply offering our own opinions.
Sorry they differ from yours.

As far as I'm concerned, when a major group has a single main focus
singer and songwriter who wrote over 90% of the songs and then is no more, how can it be anything other than a "tribute" to that singer and songwriter for the backing musicians to continue to perform THAT singer's songs ?

I think that's a reasonible position - no negativiy here, as I know these guys personally and have worked with them.

Another good comparison is The Doors - sure they lost their front person Jimbo, but all the musicians equally shared in the song writing 25 / 25 /25 / 25 (for the most part anyway). When Jimbo died
the other 3 carried on as The Doors ! That WASN'T a tribute as the original writers were just carrying on their OWN legacy.

Fast forward 35 + years and 1 of these original members decides that
they should no longer be called the Doors - and he wins in court. They have not been reduced to a "tribute" band as they are still performing the songs they helped write, but have to simply choose
a different band name to legally continue.

If all the original members of Love shared all the song writing
credits on the first 3 albums, and if all the original members
were currently touring WITHOUT Arthur then I could see your point
and support your position. But they didn't and they aren't !

Free the opinions !

Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  00:42:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by finelyfree

KD: Maybe because Arthur was the lead singer, named the group
LOVE in the first place, wrote 90% of the tunes and had the
Elektra Records contract ? The Byrds is the perfect example
for this. Roger McGuinn continued on with whomever he felt like and
he was the Byrds. Go ask Crosby, or Hillman or the State Judge
who ruled in his favor.

Free the handles !
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  00:44:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

AHHH, but again you misinterpret me...I hoped to impart that it was a good subject here for an opinion, which I hadn't given yet, and that the debate was not a true debate (OFFICIAL RULES OF DEBATING ) so this could possibly go on forever-- without resolution, but it sounds like the "debate" is not over as long long as two are left standing..... and that's cool too....just my opinion....

...but to return to your loving my way of saying things , I was originally taking my chance to enter MY opinion, which I hadn't...yet-- before that fateful post.

I have. I'm not debating...really!! Thank you. I'll now remain a rapt observer.

Cheers all!

ladylove
Fifth Love

276 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  00:51:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdion11

[quote]Originally posted by finelyfree

KD: Maybe because Arthur was the lead singer, named the group
LOVE in the first place, wrote 90% of the tunes and had the
Elektra Records contract ? The Byrds is the perfect example
for this. Roger McGuinn continued on with whomever he felt like and
he was the Byrds. Go ask Crosby, or Hillman or the State Judge
who ruled in his favor.

Free the handles !

Gee..or maybe because the other co-founders didn't want to work with Arthur anymore due to his questionable business maneuvers, i.e., taking sole credits Something about life being too short, etc.

P.S. Arthur did not name the group by himself.

Edited by - ladylove on 18/08/2009 00:59:37
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  00:53:41  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

AHHH, but again you misinterpret me...I hoped to impart that it was a good subject here for an opinion, which I hadn't given yet, and that the debate was not a true debate (OFFICIAL RULES OF DEBATING ) so this could possibly go on forever-- without resolution, but it sounds like the "debate" is not over as long long as two are left standing..... and that's cool too....just my opinion....

...but to return to your loving my way of saying things , I was originally taking my chance to enter MY opinion, which I hadn't...yet-- before that fateful post.

I have. I'm not debating...really!! Thank you. I'll now remain a rapt observer.

Cheers all!

Hey, LK, take things light heartedly won't you? I just found it amusing that you said the debate was dead and then carried it on. You have to admit that is an interesting way of doing things?

For sure, everyone is entitled to their opinions but, I guess, some of us spent a whole lot of time with the guys who are now 'Love' when they played many dates in the UK and we do feel a little hurt when people call them a 'tribute act' and, in some cases, won't even bother to go and see them
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  01:01:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Point taken, C. Put a smilie after some of those comments....I can be slow .

Oh damn! I said I was going to stay a rapt observer!!! S@#t!

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  01:06:13  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Point taken, C. Put a smilie after some of those comments....I can be slow .

Oh damn! I said I was going to stay a rapt observer!!! S@#t!

Sorry LK, I put a couple of exclaimation marks instead of a smilie, I'll just put the smilie next time

Edited by - caryne on 18/08/2009 01:06:39
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  01:15:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote][i]Originally posted by finelyfree

Gee..or maybe because the other co-founders didn't want to work with Arthur anymore due to his questionable business maneuvers, i.e., taking sole credits Something about life being too short, etc.

KD: "They didn't want to work with Arthur anymore" ? From all accounts he fired them all, and they didn't get much of a say.......... Don't remember hearing Elektra being too concerned about Arthur bringing in other musicians to finish his last record for them.

Free the employers !
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  01:16:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This is the fastest moving thread I can remember - how I love the cut and thrust of debate....especially when it is laced with such good humour. But I have to be in York for 9AM and so for me it is now definitely bedtime.

Edited by - John9 on 18/08/2009 01:16:49
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  01:21:52  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdion11

[quote][i]Originally posted by finelyfree

KD: "They didn't want to work with Arthur anymore" ? From all accounts he fired them all, and they didn't get much of a say.......... Don't remember hearing Elektra being too concerned about Arthur bringing in other musicians to finish his last record for them.

Free the employers !

Arthur liked to say he fired people, others chose to say they left....guess it's which version you want to believe really....
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  01:22:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by caryne

For sure, everyone is entitled to their opinions but, I guess, some of us spent a whole lot of time with the guys who are now 'Love' when they played many dates in the UK and we do feel a little hurt when people call them a 'tribute act'

KD: Nobody called anybody a "Tribute Act" - go back and read
the posts. What they will be playing is surely a tribute though to the guys who wrote 100% of the songs - Arthur Lee and Bryan Maclean.

Free the leaders !
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page