Gethsemene a Echols solo originally?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  18:39:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was reading an interview a UK bloke was kind enough to send on - seems to be from a late issue of the Castle - Echols says:

Q: Hi Johnny, its good to see you over here, what you been up to since the demise of the original band?

A: Well, I started work on my own album, which was gonna be called Gethesemene. There were a lot of songs left over after we had finished Forever Changes, which at one time was gonna be a double album. Bryan and I had a lot of songs, but Elektra said they couldn't afford to release a double, so I started work on a solo project, and was gonna use the word Gethesemene.

Q: How much work went into that project?

A: We made some demos, I played them back to Jac Holzman. I was in New York, Elektra decided to move it back to Los Angeles, we never really saw eye to eye, he sold up, and it was never released as a proper album. Ken Forssi played bass on a few tracks, he was a great bass player. He was once a member of the Sufaris, he also played on Happy Together for the Turtles, as well as Love

Q: Do you remember a song called Sanctuary, apparently it was a Lee/Echols composition, David Housden of the Castle mentioned it to me. Did you ever record it?

A: No I don't really recall a song of that name

Q: What else have you been up to since those times?

A: I went to live in New York, I did some studio work there. I worked with Miles Davis for a while

scully
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
217 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  21:18:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

Q: What else have you been up to since those times?

A: I went to live in New York, I did some studio work there. I worked with Miles Davis for a while

Anyone any idea what Johnny worked on with Miles? I guess working with Arthur must have seemed a breeze compared with Miles!
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  06:01:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wish I knew
think he talked about it in a recent interview on WFMU (ALWAYS looking for volunteers!)
Go to Top of Page

jayson_valentine
Third Love

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  09:26:14  Show Profile  Visit jayson_valentine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Forssi never played with The Turtles.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  10:47:44  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is the interview from the Castle I referred to several weeks ago. It was made at the Bierkeller, Bristol, UK on the 30th March 2005. I think it was the first time Johnny had talked about Love on record for some years.
I've no idea if he's getting mixed up about The Turtles/Ken Forssi but it may just be that Ken did play with them sometime but it's just not on record.
I do remember him talking keenly about Gethsemene and I am convinced he does want to release it some day, when he can.
Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  17:42:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caryne

I've no idea if he's getting mixed up about The Turtles/Ken Forssi but it may just be that Ken did play with them sometime but it's just not on record.

Johnny's mentioned twice here that Ken is on the recording of Happy Together:

Scroll down to the bottom here:
http://love.torbenskott.dk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=583

and again here:
http://love.torbenskott.dk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=844
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  19:59:01  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikeb

quote:
Originally posted by caryne

Johnny's mentioned twice here that Ken is on the recording of Happy Together:

Scroll down to the bottom here:
http://love.torbenskott.dk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=583

and again here:
http://love.torbenskott.dk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=844

It may well be that Johnny knows something that isn't widely known?

Edited by - caryne on 14/08/2009 19:59:40
Go to Top of Page

jayson_valentine
Third Love

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  23:43:24  Show Profile  Visit jayson_valentine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chip Douglas plays bass on Happy Together, who replaced original bassist Chuck Portz directly after. Echols is only human, and can make mistakes.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  01:49:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did Chip produce the track? I'm assuming this is before he went off with the Monkees (Headquarters/Pisces period)
Go to Top of Page

jayson_valentine
Third Love

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  02:39:35  Show Profile  Visit jayson_valentine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wikipedia says Joe Wissert produced it.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  11:31:18  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jayson_valentine

Wikipedia says Joe Wissert produced it.

If it's on Wikipedia it must be true then
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page