Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2009 :  23:19:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

did you need the Mojo article? I can make you
a scan

I would love it Joe! You can email me......at "contact".

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  01:48:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Feel free to shoot me a line at LoveDaCapo@hotmail.com

Gotta say, I'm really impressed by the "new" 1971 tracks. I've had the
demo of "Love jumped through my window"
I've had it on repeat
on my cd player for the past couple days, though I think
Arthur screws
up the chords at one point!

The guitar work reminds me of Syd Barrett and Bob Dylan LOL

Great great stuff

Wasn't "Stay away" on the unreleased Black Beauty? Amazed
to hear it by the American Four!

The Lee w/A4/GR single (Stay away b/w You I'll be following) is MARBLE too, which is awesome. Well worth
checking out too
Go to Top of Page

sometimesmylifeissoeerie
Fourth Love

198 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  07:59:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting back to Ian MacDonald, I just finished "Revolution in the Head"-great book! Thanks for recommending it (whoever did).
IM had some very perceptive things to say about the direction the planet is going in and it's still very applicable, even though it was written in 1994.
I was suprised to find no mention of FC, Love or AL. He mentioned everyone else around then- Pink Floyd, The Mothers, Jefferson Airplane, Beach Boys, etc... all of whom had at least some influence on The Beatles.
I didn't know Lennon did so much LSD. He definitely qualifies to be in the AL, Judee Sill, Syd Barrett acid club.
IM was pretty harsh on the Beatles after Sgt. Pepper, but I guess the drugs did affect them negatively.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  14:32:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know by dying at 54 who knows what more he could've done in his profession with his writing. He surely felt music and cared deeply about it. I like his way of talking about Dylan,Beatles and Drake for instance as artists who have "magical" ways of seeing so to speak. And there's one thing which I don't know is correct but he as an Englisman says it and it's this British "delight in gloom". True? He says Americans don't understand that. It's true. I can't!....
Go to Top of Page

scully
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
217 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  19:42:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Revolution in the Head is a brilliant book, real shame Ian didn't stick around to produce more great writing. Though not the easiest book to read his 'The New Shostakovich' is also worthwhile.

It's true that we brits are never happier than when we are miserable. Think it's the climate :)
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  21:26:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now is that why the Smiths were popular????...

And of all the songs they made though the one I can get over is "Girlfriend in a Coma". There's something about how they come across in that song that just gets me. It get so many runs on my ipod..go figure. The Smiths: I think they were VERY good putting out a particular overview of 'Englishness' if I can say that. The Beatles I think did it too but no way like the Smiths.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  21:47:24  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

Now is that why the Smiths were popular????...

And of all the songs they made though the one I can get over is "Girlfriend in a Coma". There's something about how they come across in that song that just gets me. It get so many runs on my ipod..go figure. The Smiths: I think they were VERY good putting out a particular overview of 'Englishness' if I can say that. The Beatles I think did it too but no way like the Smiths.

I love The Smiths, always did!

I don't think the English enjoy being miserable but I think, perhaps, we enjoy reality a bit more and don't really approve of fake happiness. The most obvious example being the American shop assistants who insist on smiling and saying 'Have a Nice Day', it's just something we don't do here, false happiness
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  22:27:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...And be glad they don't go round in your dept stores spraying you with "seasonal mists of fruitfulness" and the cologne of the day or whatever......yes it's free and they think they're doing you a favor but you die with dermatology bills......that's retail sales here with a smile!.....
Go to Top of Page

sometimesmylifeissoeerie
Fourth Love

198 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  01:47:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if Ian MacDonald wrote anything on Judee Sill?
She was pretty big in the UK for a few years (1971-1973).
Anyone know?
Go to Top of Page

Fred in Bed
Third Love

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  03:29:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sometimesmylifeissoeerie

Getting back to Ian MacDonald, I just finished "Revolution in the Head"-great book! Thanks for recommending it (whoever did).
IM had some very perceptive things to say about the direction the planet is going in and it's still very applicable, even though it was written in 1994.
I was suprised to find no mention of FC, Love or AL. He mentioned everyone else around then- Pink Floyd, The Mothers, Jefferson Airplane, Beach Boys, etc... all of whom had at least some influence on The Beatles.
I didn't know Lennon did so much LSD. He definitely qualifies to be in the AL, Judee Sill, Syd Barrett acid club.
IM was pretty harsh on the Beatles after Sgt. Pepper, but I guess the drugs did affect them negatively.

i know i'll be in a minority of one here but that book really irritates me. don't get me wrong, it has some very useful info in there but i just get infuriated by the overbearing criticism and supposition in there whenever i pick it up. i know the nature of the book is bound to make it subjective to some extent but it's just so heavy handed and even patronising/condescending at times. i usually end up throwing it across the room whenever i sit down to read it.

maybe i need to drink less coffee

Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  05:07:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel that way about Ulysses

NOT a book to be tossed aside lightly, but with great force!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2009 :  05:29:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

I feel that way about Ulysses

NOT a book to be tossed aside lightly, but with great force!

Ha! Joe! You make me want to try to tackle Ulysses again! I read a lot back in my Ulysses era...Catch 22, Catcher In the Rye, Player Piano, Cat's Cradle, all my Robert Frost, Chaucer, Dylan Thomas...

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2009 :  17:20:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DON'T try to read Ulysses again; personally I don't find it worth the effort, even with Gifford's annotations!

His poetry (Chamber Music) is better, and his short stories (Dubliners) the best in the language

Ah the Catcher in the Rye! Did you know that Salinger stopped them publishing a sequel?

Reading a bio on Douglas Adams (Wish you were here) thats quite good (and witty)

PLEASE don't read Ulysses. OR (dare I mention it) the (yikes!) "book" Finnegan's Wake.

I can't understand why Joyce wasted time on things people would not understand. He wasted 20 years (!) on "Work in Progress" (which was published as Finnegans Wake)

Absolutely rubbish. Christ on a bike! 700 pages of gibberish and its his last work!

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  14:18:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
uh oh..You'd make poor Jimmy not to feelsso good if he saw your remark...

As Jimmy said, "If Ulysses isn't fit to read, live isn't fit to be lived".

Before that reading that I'd suggest reading "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man"....that'll give some clues to how to read the other one...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page