Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  08:04:45  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Joe, I completely know what you mean about Arthur's charisma. Arthur was a brilliant artist and cannot possibly be replaced, and noone would ever attempt to do so.

I would still say however that you should go and see Love (Johnny Echols / Baby Lemonade) perform if you can - its a different experience with a different approach to the great music of Love. Remember that Johnny was there right from the start and his take on Love's music is a different but still totally valid one.

What should bands do when their shining light / star performer dies / decides not to perform anymore? I for one would much rather they continued to share the great music live and not just in recorded form. I've seen the Magic Band without Captain Beefheart, the Blockheads without Ian Dury and those were both great gigs. I can think of a host of other examples too.

People are mortal but the music is everlasting.

Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
754 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  12:38:16  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

Love WITHOUT Arthur Lee?

I can't see it

Let it be, you know?

I'd rather see them touring as Baby Lemonade, with special guests Johnny Echols and Michael Stuart-Wade on guitar and drums, respectively

I just can't see too many people heading out to see the band without Arthur. No offense or anything. I've seen Arthur w/ Love (aka Das Daman, Baby Lemonade etc) here in NY since the early 90s (at Tramps Cafe, the Warsaw, Bowery, the Festival Hall)

Best shows I've ever been at period

Can't imagine the tour will do that well without Arthur. Even in a small place like Tramps (RIP) you COULDN'T take your eyes off the fella. Charisma maybe?

Just can't see a Love Band being too successful without Arthur along. I mean, whats the point?

To hear the music of Love surely?! I think the way BL supported Arthur during the 90s and were a huge force behind Love's revival means they are quite entitled to call themselves members of Love.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3485 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  04:35:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Michael Stuart's out

Oh well. That just leaves Snoopy

Anyone heard the new Snoopy album?
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  17:22:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

So Michael Stuart's out

Oh well. That just leaves Snoopy

Anyone heard the new Snoopy album?

No...it's gotten good reviews. His clips on the Love Story DVD were...different...although interesting, musically.

I would like to hear a review from someone here too!

Joe Morris
Old Love

3485 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  04:55:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a few reviews on CDBaby

I'm just surprised of ex-Love alumni, it turns out to be Snoopy to put out a cd

then again, he was interviewed in Zigzag in 1970 as looking for a band, so its clearly a long time coming!

But its odd that Johnny never released anything, nor Michael Stuart (post Sons of Adam/LoVE/Neil Diamond (!)

I think Tjay did some work after his time with Love, and Jay Donellan (nee Lewis?)

But you would think Echols would've come out with something. I mean, theres already a half dozen cds by Bryan (he was pretty prolific in the 60s, thankfully - ifyoubelievein is the best of the lot)

Did Kenny ever record post Sufaris/Love?

Doesn't look like anyones buying the Snoopy album though on Amazon - its sales rank is pretty low

Surprised the video from the dvd isn't out there on Youtube - thats.. something else.. Reminds me of Shatner on Transformed Man actually

Or "Isn't this where we came in" by Lionel Bart..
Go to Top of Page

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  14:54:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the 'new' Snoopy album. Quirky, mellow tunes with Snoopy on vocals - a lot of it in a 'spoken word' style - with several Greek musicians. I really like it - it's unique, has a nice Mediterranean groove throughout, and generous portion of weirdness that keeps it interesting :).
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  15:20:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, r. Sounds interesting and more than just a Love completist's oddity by a 'former' member.

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  16:00:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure thing, kid. yeah, I would enjoy it even if it wasn't by Snoopy. that said...weird spoken word mediterranean groove isn't for everybody :).
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3485 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  05:00:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Snoopy video on the Love Story dvd could be the strangest thing I've ever seen

It kind of reminds me of when Shatner was backed up by Ben Folds (!) on Conan and it was just completely over the top when he was singing "In Love" (!!)

I just wish Snoopy was wearing more clothes in that video!!
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  14:28:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry Miller is down to play BB Kings too. Really looking forward to seeing him.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2009 :  16:05:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old_Man

Jerry Miller is down to play BB Kings too. Really looking forward to seeing him.

He's a great songwriter and has some hot licks too!

Joe Morris
Old Love

3485 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2009 :  20:58:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wasn't he homeless for a while?

from Moby Grape?
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2009 :  21:57:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

wasn't he homeless for a while?

from Moby Grape?

Ya...along with another member. Bad luck and great music seems to run in the Moby Grape family.

Moby's troubles and their greedy manger!!.....don't get me started!!

SignedRW
Fifth Love

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2009 :  23:35:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, it wasn't Jerry Miller, but rather bassist/vocalist Bob Mosley and the late Skip Spence
who each underwent periods of homelessness. Sadly, the curse of former manager Matthew Katz
doesn't appear to be going away any time soon....
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  05:52:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Signed RW

Actually, it wasn't Jerry Miller, but rather bassist/vocalist Bob Mosley and the late Skip Spence
who each underwent periods of homelessness. Sadly, the curse of former manager Matthew Katz
doesn't appear to be going away any time soon....

Right, Rick...I knew that! I really did. Ya, Katz burns me up. Every new issue that promises to get the remaining members their due ($), Katz litigates AGAIN, making each new reissue a collectors item. Greedy bastard. (Excuse me)

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page