Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  14:50:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe some of you have seen it? "Waiting for the Sun" by Hoskyns..a rock history of LA. I read some excerpts wriiten about Love. An interesting item I picked up is that the writer believed the reason FC didn't register very much at the time was because of what was going on with Arthur. That is it was his fault that the album didn't do better. In my opinion now I think that's a lot of responsibility he's got on him. Just can't see how one guy would affect the sale of the record around the world.

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  15:07:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this Rocker...I'll look out for it. I hope though, that Hoskyns has mellowed in his assessment of Love's post 1968 work. I seem to remember that in his earlier book he summed up Four Sail and Out Here in a fragment of a sentence:

";both were dreadful"

I'm playing I Still Wonder as I write this - surely Love's best non-Forever Changes track best track!..........?

Edited by - John9 on 06/03/2009 15:08:39
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  17:31:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Several tracks from Four Sale and Out Here, to me, are classic Love tunes....if they had been done by the original FC lineup, who knows...?!!
"Gather Round", Willow,willow", "LIsten To My Song" AND "I Still WOnder" are wonderful and as good as any songs of the period, by anyone.

1000!! rocker!! Cheers!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 06/03/2009 17:31:55
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  20:48:46  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
i see " August" as a close extention of post Forever Changes as possible...into possibilities if that height of Arthur's songwriting and musicianship had continued. I, a drummer myself, am awed by George Suranovich's stuff!

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  21:30:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

i see " August" as a close extention of post Forever Changes as possible...into possibilities if that height of Arthur's songwriting and musicianship had continued. I, a drummer myself, am awed by George Suranovich's stuff!

Me too, bob. As a drummer myself, my faves are Michael Stuart-Ware, Ed Cass Cassidy, Levon Helm, Mitch Mitchell, Ringo...how about you, bob??

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  22:03:18  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
RINGO will always be my favorite drummer. the "best" is another story, and i like Michael Clark, Mitch Mitchell, Jim Gordon, Jim Keltner, Nick Mason, Michael Stuart, Keith Moon, and the ever ready session cat: Hal Blaine who was on every album in the 60s!

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  23:17:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

RINGO will always be my favorite drummer. the "best" is another story, and i like Michael Clark, Mitch Mitchell, Jim Gordon, Jim Keltner, Nick Mason, Michael Stuart, Keith Moon, and the ever ready session cat: Hal Blaine who was on every album in the 60s!

Keltner is great and love his work with Zevon...I left the others to you..love em too. Michael Clarke also had some shining moments, especially on Younger Than Yesterday. I'm listening to The Byrds first in mono and Michael stands out beautifully on "I Knew That I'D Want You"

Another drummer I'm enjoying is Spencer Dryden....right now on the TT --my mono Surrealistic Pillow. Mono especially, brings out a brighter sound....most especially for the drums...cymbals, snare....his driving beat on the toms gave Airplane their distinctive "Airplane" sound, as on "She Has Funny Cars".

Edited by - lemonade kid on 06/03/2009 23:51:37
Go to Top of Page

sometimesmylifeissoeerie
Fourth Love

198 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  04:46:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a lot of stuff on AL in that book and other Hoskyns writing. Hoskyns seems to like writing about more obscure rock people.
His new book, "Hotel California", has some interesting stuff on Judee Sill, and really lambastes the Eagles, David Geffen and others involved in the West Coast rock scene of the 1970s.

He credits Geffen and even Joni Mitchell with destroying Sill's career, which I've noted before here, was very similar to AL's.
Her calling Geffen a "little, fat fag" at a live radio concert(years before he came out of the closet) surely didn't endear her to Geffen(she was the first artist signed to Asylum Records, like AL was the first signed to Elektra).
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  14:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sometimesmylifeissoeerie

There's a lot of stuff on AL in that book and other Hoskyns writing. Hoskyns seems to like writing about more obscure rock people.
His new book, "Hotel California", has some interesting stuff on Judee Sill, and really lambastes the Eagles, David Geffen and others involved in the West Coast rock scene of the 1970s.

He credits Geffen and even Joni Mitchell with destroying Sill's career, which I've noted before here, was very similar to AL's.
Her calling Geffen a "little, fat fag" at a live radio concert(years before he came out of the closet) surely didn't endear her to Geffen(she was the first artist signed to Asylum Records, like AL was the first signed to Elektra).

Interesting. I hadn't heard that. Judee Sill is such a great one!!!

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  14:43:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bob/lk...regarding drummers...bob notes Michael Clarke...I always thought he gave a nice contribution to that "Burrito" sound..kind of a like a chugglin' sound...it's the sound I hear when you put on say 'Break My Mind', 'Lazy Day' or 'Can't You Hear Me Callin'...

and Keith Moon...love that "Overture" on Tommy..man he hits and drives through those things!...
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  14:48:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and Four Sail...never will forget when I had it on the platter and "I'm With You" came on for the first time..what a gem in rock..that swirly opening and then those beautiful guitar riffs ....a song that never goes away..we all have our favs....that's mine...
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  19:10:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

Maybe some of you have seen it? "Waiting for the Sun" by Hoskyns..a rock history of LA. I read some excerpts wriiten about Love. An interesting item I picked up is that the writer believed the reason FC didn't register very much at the time was because of what was going on with Arthur. That is it was his fault that the album didn't do better. In my opinion now I think that's a lot of responsibility he's got on him. Just can't see how one guy would affect the sale of the record around the world.

KD: Hey Rocker. Well if you are the undisputed leader of the
group, and you absolutely refuse to tour to support the record,
and then the record fails, you can see how Arthur could and should
have taken at least some of the responsibility for this.

Free the blame !
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  23:25:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the band was playing live once a month during Four Sail

Still did better than Changes. Go figure!!

Free the live shows!!
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  00:00:23  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
rocker, ..."Lazy Days" the version from the BOX SET, is one of my favorite Gram Parsons records! MAN! that record ROCKS HARD! drums-a-chuggin! Gram is RAW!!!! YEAH!!!

Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  00:21:40  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
as far as FOREVER CHANGES, LOVE was virtualy absent in promotion.
FOUR SAIL had them touring all over the place. hell, I even caught them in 1969 at the Whiskey a go go soon after the lp release, and it was GOOD! my ears were ringing for days! seen LOVE in 1966 to early for F.C....but i think the Forever Changes era band did not play live, if i'm correct.

Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  05:28:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Promotion (or lack thereof) would seem to be an issue the band had with Elektra

But then the band didn't really tour..

Not until it was too late, really. Forever Changes would have gone over very well live, even without the strings and brass..

I guess Four Sail was a reaction on Arthurs part - a bold move against the light airy atmosphere of (most of) Forever Changes

Forever Changes doesn't really ROCK.. for the most part..

Arthur said it was cos his Four Sail band didn't like FC, but I don't think it was really so. Even Snoopy acknowledged it was brilliant at the time it came out, and he had been sacked..

Can't see the Four Sail band not liking Forever Changes. Probably cos Arthur didn't know how he was gonna follow up what he saw as his last will and testament!

(Anyone know why Arthur thought he was gonna die at the time? He wasn't THAT old..)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page