Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2008 :  12:38:52  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I could post a list a mile long here, many of the above are great (some I really dislike, of course) so I will stick with the most recent song that I just caught on TV late one night (think it was the NME channel) and thought was amazing. It's 'The Age of the Understatement' by The Last Shadow Puppets. That really hit me..

Interestingly, the band have covered 'Little Red Book' live and a version of it was a b-side on their last single.
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2008 :  19:56:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's one I liked straight off - Race With The Devil - The Gun.
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2008 :  23:03:59  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
some more i liked rightaway:
"I'm A Believer"-Monkees
"California Dreaming"- Mamas and Papas
"Red Rubber Ball"-the Cyrkle
"GIRL Don't Come"- Sandie Shaw
"98.6"-Keith
"To Sir With Love"-Lulu
"You really Got Me"-the Kinks

...what the world needs now...

Edited by - bob f. on 30/11/2008 23:18:26
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  14:31:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...You know i was checking my ipod and noticed that I really play "Denise" (Randy and the Rainbows) and "Will You Love me Tomorrow" (Shirelles) and Buddy Holly tunes alot..amazing how those old songs stay with you...I just never get tired of the melodies and singing on those particular recordings...we should remember..before In-A-Gadd-Da-Vida there was "scooby-do"......
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2008 :  00:51:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm right with you Rocker on those tunes.
In general what a fantastic bunch of tunes. Put them all together and I'd never get tired of listening
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2008 :  01:57:04  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeah, rocker, The Shirelles!!! i love them, and The Marvelettes!
i know John Lennon was influenced by the Marvelettes vocal style.
these girl-groups had the best songs ever! some by Carol King/Goffin, and it was all about the melody and true lyrics. true love.puppy love.
will you love me tomarrow? it doesn't get much better than these two choice artists. god, such good song craft and musicianship from the crew! it all came together with no excuse, just great pop songs sung good!

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2008 :  14:44:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok I have a confession to make...I love that song on Beatles VI.."You Like Me too Much"..right, trite and simple and schmaltzy...why?...well that was the fab song of my kind of first girlfriend who introduced me to the Beatles....she "loved" me and I "loved" her.....omigod....
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2008 :  15:01:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, Rocker - You Like Me Too Much is a wonderfully simple, yet musically assured composition. In the UK, it was on the Help LP ...and that was given to me by my mum and dad for birthday 14 in October 1965...and was the first album I ever owned. Priced at more than thirty shillings, it was the equivalent of more than three weeks pocket money! It is still, if such a thing is possible, my favourite Beatles album. Within a couple of weeks of getting it, a friend told me that a brand new album (this of course would be Rubber Soul) would soon be released together with a non-album single (Daytripper/We Can Work It Out. We can go on and on (and we do) about 'Sgt Pepper' and the 'White Album'. But in the fall of 1965, The Beatles were working collectively at a creative white heat...and, of course, they were still touring. In that year, in the words of Wordsworth....."To be young was very heaven".

Edited by - John9 on 05/12/2008 15:08:58
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2008 :  16:07:45  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
i wore out my 45rpm Beatles singles of "There's A Place", and "Yes It Is". those two records realy were and still are special to me.

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2008 :  16:22:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

i wore out my 45rpm Beatles singles of "There's A Place", and "Yes It Is". those two records realy were and still are special to me.

...what t"he world needs now...

Yes It Is" got worn out for me too, bob. For some reason I often played 45's B-sides more.
"Baby's In Black" was another. Still love em both. Beatle's version of Mr. Postman too!!!

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  14:34:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure just like me all of you here when you say hear a Beatles sing it brings you back and gives you enjoyment. Over the weekend I was listning to only Beatles tunes and I just can't believe how much craft is in the songs. I know they're kind of "simple" in construction but maybe it's the fact that I've been listening to all types of music for quite a while now that I can pick up nuances in the singing and instruments now that I never heard before. Like with We Can Work Out, when I was listening I heard another musical line that I never picked up before. Same with "If I Fell". I don't know. Maybe I'm getting better in appreciatin' quality!!!... I guess it could be old hat to others who studied music and have a better ear but the point is that I think there is always discovery if you pay attention!..
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  19:40:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, rocker.

Oh, I meant that I wore out the 45, not my enjoyment of the tune. I think Beatles' tunes (like Love's) became more complex as time went on. For example, A Day In Thee Life & I Am The Walrus. My favorite, She Said She Said, owes much of it's appeal for me to Ringo, though the whole Lennon composition & arrangement makes it my favorite. Tomorrow Never Knows is so unearthly...Lennon wanted a deep down & distant effect, so his producer came up with running his voice through a Leslie (another Beatle first). Their Label was really quite upset with that special effect.

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  20:45:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't know that. The Beatles really pushed the boundaries, eh?
After revolver and pepper, you know i thought lennon changed the concept of songwriting in that he plumbed the depths of his psyche, I mean really plumbed the depths. I thought he went all the way down and into trees never before went by man into songdom......well at least up to that time ..I know other people were doing it but he kind of did it the best in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  05:57:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

I didn't know that. The Beatles really pushed the boundaries, eh?
After revolver and pepper, you know i thought lennon changed the concept of songwriting in that he plumbed the depths of his psyche, I mean really plumbed the depths. I thought he went all the way down and into trees never before went by man into songdom......well at least up to that time ..I know other people were doing it but he kind of did it the best in my opinion.

The Beatles were very innovative & experimental in their advancement of the studio technology, rocker.
Visit this site for the Beatles' influence on music recording. Some may not like to admit it, but much of today's music (technically speaking) owes a great debt to the Beatles' willingness to experiment & push the boundaries.

Pretty interesting....check out this write-up, rocker and all interested....."Beatles' influence on music recordings--technological advances"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles%27_influence_on_music_recording#Technological_advances

& yah...Lennon really pushed the boundaries of our psyche. Love that guy.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 09/12/2008 06:07:52
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  14:36:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Real informative article there lk....Looking back, the "mopheads' became great because they wanted to do "something different" all the time. Lotsa hard hard work ..they all knew about "8 days a week", eh?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page