Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  11:35:01  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just thought it would be interesting to hear people's likes here. I do mean NEW albums not re-issues, of course.

I have many but I would like to give a mention to

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Dig Lazarus Dig
Glasvegas - First Album
Isael Campbell and Mark Lanegan - Sunday at Dirt Devil
Tony Christie - Made in Sheffield
Tindersticks - The Hungry Saw
Marc Almond - Bluegate Fields, Live at Wilton's Music Hall
Calexico - Carried to Dust
Lambchop - Ohio

Sure I'll think of others...

Edited by - caryne on 09/11/2008 14:25:30

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  09:34:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a good topic - I hesitate though to mention my favourite because of the band's acknowledged Beatles influence. But I will all the same....Off With Their Heads by The Kaiser Chiefs - surely one of the best groups ever to come out of Leeds. Spanish Metal especially is a wonderfully melodic track with some great harmonies.

Edited by - John9 on 09/11/2008 09:36:14
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  14:18:53  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for replying John, after 32 views and no replies I was beginning to think no one here liked anything released in the last 12 months
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  17:27:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caryne

Thanks for replying John, after 32 views and no replies I was beginning to think no one here liked anything released in the last 12 months

It's not that, caryne! It's just that. for me, in the last twelve months, there have been a such a hoard of re-mastered classic psych & rock reissues on vinyl, that it has been an effort just to keep up with those. Including all three of Sandy Denny's Fairport Convention LPs, the latest amazing MONO LP from 13th Floor Elevators, Fotheringay 2, & Judee Sill's last effort are among many other first press completist LPs I've gotten.
AND the whole Leonard Cohen library on vinyl, for instance!! I'm listening to "Recent Songs" (from 1979) presently...wonderful.

I did get The Black Hollies newest 2008 release---on vinyl of course. An amazing psych-punk-garage style NYC band in the tradition of the Yardbirds & Kinks.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 09/11/2008 17:29:24
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  19:27:39  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

quote:

It's not that, caryne! It's just that. for me, in the last twelve months, there have been a such a hoard of re-mastered classic psych & rock reissues on vinyl, that it has been an effort just to keep up with those. Including all three of Sandy Denny's Fairport Convention LPs, the latest amazing MONO LP from 13th Floor Elevators, Fotheringay 2, & Judee Sill's last effort are among many other first press completist LPs I've gotten.
AND the whole Leonard Cohen library on vinyl, for instance!! I'm listening to "Recent Songs" (from 1979) presently...wonderful.

I did get The Black Hollies newest 2008 release---on vinyl of course. An amazing psych-punk-garage style NYC band in the tradition of the Yardbirds & Kinks.

I too have bought lots of remastered/reissued stuff too but I still find time to listen and buy new stuff. The Black Hollies sound interesting, I'll check them out, thanks.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  21:40:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I too have bought lots of remastered/reissued stuff too but I still find time to listen and buy new stuff. The Black Hollies sound interesting, I'll check them out, thanks.

I listen too but I've gone deep into the "purse' on some first presses, like NM MONO The Doors & Strange Days, Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. But you're richer than me, I'm guessing!!

Here is the Black Hollies' record company site with some LEGAL mp3s presented for us to sample their music....tell me if you hear the influence (but by no means, rip-offs) of The Kinks & Yardbirds. Am I off in my thoughts that the Yardbirds & Kinks were among the forefathers of later punk/garage/grunge artists, with their raw-blues power rock? ( check out : Paisley Pattern Ground, for starters) What do you think of them?

http://www.ernestjenning.com/band_theblackhollies.htm

Edited by - lemonade kid on 09/11/2008 22:04:25
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  23:26:56  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I listen too but I've gone deep into the "purse' on some first presses, like NM MONO The Doors & Strange Days, Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. But you're richer than me, I'm guessing!!

Here is the Black Hollies' record company site with some LEGAL mp3s presented for us to sample their music....tell me if you hear the influence (but by no means, rip-offs) of The Kinks & Yardbirds. Am I off in my thoughts that the Yardbirds & Kinks were among the forefathers of later punk/garage/grunge artists, with their raw-blues power rock? ( check out : Paisley Pattern Ground, for starters) What do you think of them?

http://www.ernestjenning.com/band_theblackhollies.htm

I doubt I am richer than you, I don't work and have no income other than incapacity benefit!! For me, as I don't drink or smoke and, being vegan, live quite cheaply foodwise, music is my main luxury, I can think of nothing better to spend my money on.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  00:04:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right on the music there, caryne.

You obviously spend your money wisely, fellow vegan. (well, I'm actually an Ovo-Lacto vegetarian) You sound like someone who lives life to their fullest potential.....and music can take you anywhere. No vices except music.......

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  00:07:33  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

You obviously spend your money wisely, fellow vegan. (well, I'm actually an Ovo-Lacto vegetarian) You sound like someone who lives life to their fullest potential.....and music can take you anywhere. No vices except music.......

Maybe you would like some advice on becoming vegan? I've been vegan for nearly thirty years and it's definitely the best thing to do for a number of reasons, whether for humans, animals or the planet.
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  00:50:02  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
levon helm-dirt farmer
robert plant/allyson krause-raising sand
wilco-sky blue sky
apollo sunshine-shall noise upon

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  04:16:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't say that much new stuff has really grabbed me in the last twelve months .. wish it had. My picks
Elbow - Seldom Seen Kid
Harmonia - Live 1974
Irmin Schmidt - Axolotl Eyes
Have been ploughing my way through the wealth of freshly released but vintage John Martyn output, and some really choice reissues till something startlingly new n'good crops up. The remasters of Fripp and Eno's No *****footing and Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom being cases in point. 10/10, essential, both.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  18:15:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Maybe you would like some advice on becoming vegan? I've been vegan for nearly thirty years and it's definitely the best thing to do for a number of reasons, whether for humans, animals or the planet.

Thanks, caryne. I'm aware of the implications of corporate farming, whether it be beef or milk, but I buy locally from a small, planet friendly coop.....a very aware little university town here, with many activists on all fronts. I've been through vegan & back, & made my choice, which I believe is better that raising crops that feed cattle, only to slaughter them. A little inefficient, not to mention the pollution. I've driven through parts of Texas where the penned cattle go on for miles & miles, & the stench of methane & fresh blood is so strong that it could turn any red blooded beefeater into a vegetarian. But I do like my refried beans and organic cheese No jokes about the methane released, please! Regular consumption eliminates that issue.

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  10:33:43  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks, caryne. I'm aware of the implications of corporate farming, whether it be beef or milk, but I buy locally from a small, planet friendly coop.....a very aware little university town here, with many activists on all fronts. I've been through vegan & back, & made my choice, which I believe is better that raising crops that feed cattle, only to slaughter them. A little inefficient, not to mention the pollution. I've driven through parts of Texas where the penned cattle go on for miles & miles, & the stench of methane & fresh blood is so strong that it could turn any red blooded beefeater into a vegetarian. But I do like my refried beans and organic cheese No jokes about the methane released, please! Regular consumption eliminates that issue.

I won't go on too much but, as I am sure you are aware, for cows/goats/sheep etc to produce milk they have to produce calves regularly, these calves are then (largely) sold for slaughter so by consuming dairy you are contributing to that slaughter. Even a small scale, 'ethical', farm has to do this or else they would be, quite soon, over run by animals.

I like refried beans too but over here you can get a huge variety of soya cheese which you can use on them as well as on pizzas etc, etc. However, to be honest, no matter what food I craved (and believe me I used to love dairy products too) I could not possibly eat them knowing the suffering involved in their production. Sorry, end of rant now.

http://www.vegansociety.com/animals/exploitation/cows/dairy_cow.php

Edited by - caryne on 11/11/2008 10:35:31
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  15:31:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, carye. I'll try the cheese & I do love soy milk, especially my chocolate!

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  15:38:24  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks, carye. I'll try the cheese & I do love soy milk, especially my chocolate!

I am always getting told off(by meat eaters who like to think they have a point to get at me!!) about eating soya as vast areas of land are destroyed to grow it. However, the majority of this land is destroyed to grow soya to feed animals for meat/dairy. If we didn't have the animal products there would be far less land needed for crops anyway.

http://www.vegansociety.com/environment/land/

PS Soya cheese doesn't really taste like dairy cheese but it works as a good alternative on things where you would have dairy cheese.

Edited by - caryne on 11/11/2008 15:39:25
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  18:38:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bringing this back on track - all this discussion of food is making me hungry! : ;)

My fabourite album for probably more than a year: 'The Great Unravel' by Gandalf Murphy & the Slambovian Circus of Dreams. Can't get enough of this band. Any fan of 60s music should check them out. www.slambovia.com - tune into the Radio Free Slambovia page.

'Live at the Murat' by Umphreys McGee. Good US jamband. Not sure it's exactly within last twelve months, though am pretty sure it had a late 2007 release date)

And not forgetting of course, Jefferson Starship's 'Jefferson's Tree of Liberty', which is a return to the bands folk roots - about 1/3 of the album is available to hear on their myspace page.

Edited by - boombox on 12/11/2008 16:48:43
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page