lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  21:29:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

I heard tonight a great quotation from our very own Alistair Campbell:

"You campaign in poetry....but you govern in prose" - and he should know!!!

This said, my own feeling is that Obama will get his two terms - and that there is a real chance that we will see a better world at the end of it all. He faces a huge task - just as Roosevelt did. And he will make plenty of enemies - just as Roosevelt did. But I think that both America........ and the world at large, could do with a healthy dose of idealism.

Hear, Hear! I don't envy Obama or anyone thrown into the current mess. He seems like a guy that can weather the storm. Just hope it's not beyond him. But he really is what the world needs now. At least we now have hope, however slim.

thanks Boombox for the sentiment. Is the UK reacting to this whole thing ......positively?

ed the bear
Fourth Love

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  05:18:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe for a while we Americans can feel a bit more proud of our country. For two reasons: one, we've overcome our history enough to elect a black President; second, we've elected an intelligent man. That will be an improvement.
Go to Top of Page

TJSAbass
Fourth Love

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  07:51:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a relief! I have to say though, I fear for the man's life. There are a lot of ugly hateful bastards out there. Everywhere around where I live, nothing but McCain signs. He really needs to deliver now. But it is a glimmer of hope!
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  18:55:49  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

quote:

This said, my own feeling is that Obama will get his two terms - and that there is a real chance that we will see a better world at the end of it all. He faces a huge task - just as Roosevelt did. And he will make plenty of enemies - just as Roosevelt did. But I think that both America........ and the world at large, could do with a healthy dose of idealism.

Hear, Hear! I don't envy Obama or anyone thrown into the current mess. He seems like a guy that can weather the storm. Just hope it's not beyond him. But he really is what the world needs now. At least we now have hope, however slim.

thanks Boombox for the sentiment. Is the UK reacting to this whole thing ......positively?

Yes!! I think a significant portion of the UK population will have really welcolmed this news.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....

Edited by - Kula John on 06/11/2008 18:56:17
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  19:36:16  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kula John

quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

quote:

Yes!! I think a significant portion of the UK population will have really welcolmed this news.

True, I think the majority in the UK are still flabbergasted that the US elected Bush for a second time he is a mixture of figure of hate/figure of fun over here.
This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  20:40:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know I was just listening to Sam Cooke's 'A Change is Gonna Come'. Anybody hear it? I think that's the mantra now. I'm big on history and I think of Lincoln and how he'd react to what has just happened here. Things can change. There are certainly alot of problems here and in the world. I hope we can get back and solve a couple of them. We're at a start. Wish us luck, eh? We've gone through a harrowing period again these past few years' 'round these parts.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  22:35:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

You know I was just listening to Sam Cooke's 'A Change is Gonna Come'. Anybody hear it? I think that's the mantra now. I'm big on history and I think of Lincoln and how he'd react to what has just happened here. Things can change. There are certainly alot of problems here and in the world. I hope we can get back and solve a couple of them. We're at a start. Wish us luck, eh? We've gone through a harrowing period again these past few years' 'round these parts.

So true, rocker. I'm sure there are more than a few red necks wondering "what's going on"!!?? Oh yah, one of the greatest songs written that said it all about our troubled times ...thanks, Marvin Gaye.

Now we can play "Trouble Comin' Everyday" without so much dread!! There's hope.

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  14:23:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"there's hope"....

heh heh but it's already started where some are razzing him for his choice of chief of staff...hardly out of the gate yet and we've got controversy!..politics is great, eh?..
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  00:51:21  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
we are happy about our divorce from the Bush administration. we are glad for the world response congratulations, and its realization that it was not our fault! it was the right-winger republican neo-fascist, religious fanatic liars who gave America a bad name!
we are so sorry for our leaders' hatred and fascism! we are trying to change the government, and we got Bush/Mccain kicked out!
IT'S A START! the U.S.A. Americans are a peace loving people!
weve been oppressed for a long time by the Republican right-wing religious fanatic liars. we love our foreign neighbors, and hate
Bush's "with us or against us" doctrine! we are not THAT!
BLESSINGS TO ALL!

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

watchinallthapeople
Fourth Love

155 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  01:30:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"right-winger"

I reckon that bailout just made him the most left wing president in US (possibly human) history!

Thank god he's gone

but on Obama I'm always reminded of that famous Bill Hicks quote

"I have this feeling that whoever's elected president, like Clinton was, no matter what promises you make on the campaign trail - blah, blah, blah - when you win, you go into this smoky room with the twelve industrialist, capitalist scum****s that got you in there, and this little screen comes down... and it's a shot of the Kennedy assassination from an angle you've never seen before, which looks suspiciously off the grassy knoll.... And then the screen comes up, the lights come on, and they say to the new president, 'Any questions?'"

Right off to bed cyas!

Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2008 :  07:35:47  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
well, i feel better with the Obama pod people than the Bush/Mccain pod people! i think there is a big difference. Obama is Obama , and Mccain is Bush/Cheney/Rove.

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2008 :  08:27:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

well, i feel better with the Obama pod people than the Bush/Mccain pod people! i think there is a big difference. Obama is Obama , and Mccain is Bush/Cheney/Rove.

Hear! Hear! Obama pod people unite! Down with the Neo-Cons! But they don't need any help from us..... They dug they own graves.

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2008 :  23:19:10  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
now, Obama will have to clean up the giant mess in the White House left by the current tenants! especially all the poop everywhere, (not from the pet dog). i hope the Obamas consult Native American Shamen for removing evil spirits in the many rooms.
ding dong the witch is dead......

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2008 :  14:59:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Popped in Won't Get Fooled Again"....a part of Townshend's political
upbringing. I know Obama ran on "change". I hope he can deal with the inertia. And as that great rock sage Starr once said, "It Don't Come Easy".
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2008 :  15:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Obama's victory feels like a John F. Kennedy moment for me. HOPE! and NEW WORLD!

Obama will have a tough road ahead of him. But EVERY American knows Obama didn't create this mess, and I'm thinking (and HOPING)that most Americans will stand behind him as he tries to clean this mess up.

This is an historic time...there's so much good that come from it

Allan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page