Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

undergroundbasement
Third Love

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2008 :  09:13:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wonderin', it seems to be the only thing I've been hearing about in the news.

We're all normal...

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2008 :  10:56:53  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think in the UK we're pretty bogged down with the global financial meltdown (I certainly am as I work in that field) - over here the US election seems to be taking second place in the news for a while. Saying that, the latest thing I heard was that Obama has become a shoo-in - is that really the case or just the spin the UK media has put on things??
Go to Top of Page

undergroundbasement
Third Love

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2008 :  10:59:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That seems to be the case here in the U.S., it looks as though Obama will be the next President. The media, though, is saying it's still close. Maybe they're just shooting for higher ratings? I dunno. The economy has been on the front burner over here, too.

We're all normal...
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2008 :  20:44:28  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Obama's certainly not Mr Perfect but if McCain gets in we're only a heartbeat away from that rabid, ranting, Sarah Palin being President and that is really worrying me.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2008 :  09:50:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I have a feeling that once it's all over then the markets will calm down a little. The thing I can't figure out is how McCain has let it all slip away from him. Palin has proved such a liability that you really have to question the man's judgement - and to compound it all, in these last few days he hasn't exactly been the most photogenic candidate ever has he? It's a pity, because of course elections should be about issues rather than image. All this said, I would be happy to see an Obama victory - we all need a radical change once in a while - as Arthur was always only too ready to remind us!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  16:38:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The end of an error is coming in a couple weeks. I used to like McCain, but I think he's past his prime & most know it, it seems. Obama just looks calmer & smarter as time goes on & McCain continues to sink his ship (with the help of that joke of a VP choice). The only way he can win is through one of the more corrupt electoral systems in the world.......all computerized with no recourse for a dispute, or a way to check for fraud.
Oh well, we can only hope for an indisputable landslide by Obama. It seems you all in the UK are more interested in the outcome than some here are.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 22/10/2008 16:41:00
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  23:50:51  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'm following the election news , and know we are at the crossroads now! the Mccain/Repugs are busy digging their own graves while spewing vast amounts of lies, hatred, and pathetic propoganda!
meanwhile, i've already voted for Barack (That One)Obama via mail-in!
i'm feeling some fear regarding another possible inside-job manufactured terrorist attack by the Repugs to re-rail the election of Obama, and install martial law. the vast majority of Americans ( both DEMOCRATS and REPUBLICANS) are SICK AND TIRED of the BUSHCO. LIES! I believe the world knows that the American people are good-hearted victims of a fascist administration. we want peace and harmony! and ...just one more thiNg........"LOVE ONE ANOTHER" !

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

ed the bear
Fourth Love

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2008 :  07:31:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What? No Rethugs here? I'm shocked, shocked.
The sad reality of American life is that a white man with Obama's looks, smarts, and oratorical skills would be a shoo-in. Racism makes it closer than it ought to be, and I'm not sure all of my fellow Americans are ready. But here's hoping.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  10:20:02  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ed the bear

The sad reality of American life is that a white man with Obama's looks, smarts, and oratorical skills would be a shoo-in. Racism makes it closer than it ought to be, and I'm not sure all of my fellow Americans are ready. But here's hoping.

I tend to think you might be right there. I am also of the opinion that the vote is a lot closer than the polls are saying at the moment as I suspect many people will say they are voting for Obama, as they don't want to appear racist, but will actually vote the other way when they have the privacy to do so.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  22:57:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caryne

quote:
Originally posted by ed the bear

I tend to think you might be right there. I am also of the opinion that the vote is a lot closer than the polls are saying at the moment as I suspect many people will say they are voting for Obama, as they don't want to appear racist, but will actually vote the other way when they have the privacy to do so.

I sadly agree, caryne. A dark day if the likes of McCain & Palen are elected.....dark for the US, and the world.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 26/10/2008 22:58:00
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  20:19:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My birthday is November 4th, and you all know what my wish is !! When I was just a little guy, 4 or 5 maybe, the election was on the 4th & I was just becoming aware of those kinds of things, so I thought, "Wow, cool, the Presidential elections are on my Birthday!" I took me many years to get that it wasn't really !! Well, it is again. So, I wish, I wish.......

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2008 :  18:04:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
McCain is winning the Ohio "litter box" caucus ......... in which kitties choose one little box over the other with a candidate's name displayed on their own box. Kitties are crapping on McCain over Obama.
Ummm.....Cats are smart....an editorial comment by the cats, by chance??

Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  16:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get a load of this - Sarah Palin being interviewed yesterday by Canadian comedian Marc Antoine Audette - only she thinks that he is President Sarkozy! I love the bit where Audette says something like "I can see Belgium from my 'ouse ...not as interesting as you, I think":

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/us_elections_2008/7704673.stm

Happy birthday for Tuesday, Lemonadekid!

Edited by - John9 on 02/11/2008 16:16:35
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  16:53:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Get a load of this - Sarah Palin being interviewed yesterday by Canadian comedian Marc Antoine Audette - only she thinks that he is President Sarkozy! I love the bit where Audette says something like "I can see Belgium from my 'ouse ...not as interesting as you, I think":

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/us_elections_2008/7704673.stm

Happy birthday for Tuesday, Lemonadekid!

That interview was a hoot! Thanks for the Birthday wish, J9.

Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  13:36:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope you enjoyed your birthday present, lk! Hope the guy can deliver, or I fear a huge backlash next time and a return to the present.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  16:35:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard tonight a great quotation from our very own Alistair Campbell:

"You campaign in poetry....but you govern in prose" - and he should know!!!

This said, my own feeling is that Obama will get his two terms - and that there is a real chance that we will see a better world at the end of it all. He faces a huge task - just as Roosevelt did. And he will make plenty of enemies - just as Roosevelt did. But I think that both America........ and the world at large, could do with a healthy dose of idealism.

Edited by - John9 on 05/11/2008 19:44:19
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page