Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 Share your all-time favorite BANDS......
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  12:21:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caryne

Yes, the music of one's youth does often have a special importance to a person. However, as I said before, I think it is very important not to be closed to other eras and listen to stuff from both before and after that time. Personally I think that though there was fantastic music in the 60's I wouldn't say it was the only time when seminal/influential/important music was being made, that has always happened and, hopefully, always will. For me, it is just very sad when people close their ears to stuff from outside of their 'era'.

You are quite right Carynne. One of the people I most respected was John Peel who from 1967 right up until his all too early death a few years back always championed what was new and exciting in rock. You also have to admire those young people who show the same willingness to think and experience outside their own time. My nephew, who turned 21 last week and is a great guitarist and drummer, is one such. His greatest concert was BB King, his favourite album is Revolver and his all time rock hero is Eric Clapton. Although you would probably be horrified at the overall balance in my CD collection, from the early 80s, I did always enjoy The Police, The Stranglers, Sham 69, The Jam, Madness and the superb Ian Dury. From more recent times, I've also liked what I've heard from Franz Ferdinand and the Kaiser Chiefs. One of my most treasured possessions is the now rare This Woman's Work box set by Kate Bush.................but I have a feeling that I should not have mentioned that!

Edited by - John9 on 27/10/2008 00:18:58
Go to Top of Page

Cal Jam
Fourth Love

220 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  15:56:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few of my faves:

Traffic
Caravan
Buffalo Springfield
Quicksilver Messenger Service
Hawkwind
Deep Purple
Jefferson Airplane
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  22:48:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

quote:
Originally posted by caryne

Yes, the music of one's youth does often have a special importance to a person. However, as I said before, I think it is very important not to be closed to other eras and listen to stuff from both before and after that time. Personally I think that though there was fantastic music in the 60's I wouldn't say it was the only time when seminal/influential/important music was being made, that has always happened and, hopefully, always will. For me, it is just very sad when people close their ears to stuff from outside of their 'era'.

You are quite right Carynne. One of the people I most respected was John Peel who from 1967 right up until his all too early death a few years back always championed what was new and exciting in rock. You also have to admire those young people who show the same willingness to think and experience outside their own time. My nephew, who turned 21 last week and is a great guitarist and drummer, is one such. His greatest concert was BB King, his favourite album is Revolver and his all time rock hero is Eric Clapton. Although you would probably be horrified at the overall balance in my CD collection, from the early 80s, I did always enjoy The Police, The Stranglers, Sham 69, The Jam, Madness and the superb Ian Dury. From more recent times, I've also liked what I've heard from Franz Ferdinand and the Kaiser Chiefs. One of my most treasured possessions is the now rare This Woman's Work box set by Kate Bush.................bit I have a feeling that I should not have mentioned that!

Kate Bush is a treasure, & one of the most "striking talents to emerge in the post-Beatles era"!! Hear, hear, j9.
Nice list Cal Jam.....throw in the Byrds, Poco, Country Joe & The Fish (one of my all-time
favorite psych bands), & Capt. Beefheart.

I just picked up Fotheringay's original on vinyl. Sandy Denny's first & third LP came by post last week. Still looking for "Sandy". She is so damn good!! Also, I think I mentioned Richard & Linda Tompson's Pour Down Like Silver...my all time fave by them, with "Dimming Of The Day".

And of course, PENTANGLE. I know they don't quite get the raves of Fairport Convention, but they are pretty bloody close!!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 26/10/2008 22:51:47
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  00:18:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes definitely, Lemonadekid. On Kate's third album, Never For Ever, there is a beautiful song entitled Blow Away, in which she honours amongst others, Sandy Denny. Two of her other influences were I believe, Joni Mitchell and Laura Nyro.

Edited by - John9 on 27/10/2008 00:21:08
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  01:17:33  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Even I'm quite fond of Kate Bush, I even bought her last album that was out a couple of years ago but I'm not sure, perhaps due to her lack of output, that I would say she was very influential or important. Perhaps she could have been but, by her choice, she decided not to be.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  15:52:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, she has certainly become more reclusive over the years - although she did give a feature length interview to Radio 4's Front Row following the release of her most recent album. The thing that I really enjoy about her music is her preoccupation with dreams and the subconscious. The whole of the second side of Hounds of Love (the sequence is entitled The Ninth Wave)takes the listener on a journey through a dream from the moment consciousness is lost to the point of awakening. Along the way we visit a beautifully surreal but often disturbing world that both reaches back to childhood and flashes a premonition of death. I bet she's a fan of Carl Jung.

Edited by - John9 on 27/10/2008 16:01:13
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2008 :  15:26:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, the music of my 'era' should be the late 70s and early 80s - punk, post-punk and new wave with a bit of NWOBHM thrown in. However, it isn't and the 60s is in fact my era, even though I was born the year the Beatles stopped touring. Yes, I admit to being partial to The Undertones and the Teardrop Explodes (some post-punk did age well) and will always have a (now restrained) headbang to Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Saxon and Motorhead. However, the new romantic stuff still doesn't really do anything for me, nor does 95% of the hip hop and rap monotony that came out then. I also hated punk at the time (and still don't really tolerate much except The Damned), not just because it wanted to destroy trully great bands like Genesis and Yes, but because most of the 'stars' of this new genre couldn't play - cacophanies of badly played guitar, bass and drums and quasi-meaningful lyrics spouted by some cretin with a voice with the musicality of a cement mixer seemed more than enough justification to ignore it. Age hasn't softened my opinion of it either. Indeed, for me, the best thing about punk was that it encouraged others who actually had musical talent to have a go so we got two mini Mod revivals.

IMHO the 60s will always remain the finest musical era as I can listen to any genre from that time and still enjoy it, be it proto-metal bands like Blue Cheer, the folk pop of the Lovin' Spoonful, garage punk from the Standells, country from Johnny Cash, rockin' r'n'b (and psych) from the Pretty Things, soul from Otis and Aretha, crazy psychedelia from Kaleidoscope, protest songs from Phil Ochs or even out and out pop like Barry Ryan, Gerry & the Pacemakers or Lulu. And this is, of course, without mentioning the big guns like the Airplane, Jimi, Janis, the Dead, the doors, Beatles, Love, Who, Country Joe, Pink Floyd, and then there are early Gong, Soft Machine, Caravan, Yes, Genesis, Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath etc.

This thread is about all-time favourite bands and regulars here know mine (well, it wouldn't be difficult to work out from the above!) However, I am not closed to music from different eras, even if I believe those eras to be not so profitable a field to be mined. Most current mainstream music I couldn't give tuppence for, but there is a rich seam of music out there today being played by some of the finest musicians around, but which remains largely unheard outside of the bands' own regions. Ironically, this is much the same as in the 60s when many good garage bands never got a hit outside their home states. The US jamband scene contains many such bands eg The Breakfast and Tea Leaf Green, who are only really now getting nationwide notice, but who are yet to get international recognition. Some of the musicians in these bands are as good, if not better than the established names, but will probably never make it on the same scale as their counterparts of yesteryear.

I guess their only hope (and ours) is that communities like us can put out the word for our favourite bands and let the internet spread it further. We can never get the 60s again, but many of that era's stars have gone on to the Great Gig In The Sky (Merl Saunders died this week), have retired eg Grace Slick or are in their 70s eg David Freiberg, or even 80s eg Chuck Berry. When they go, to whom will out children look for their musical inspiration? Girls Aloud or Mylee Cyrus? I hope not.
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2008 :  15:30:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cal Jam

A few of my faves:

Traffic
Caravan
Buffalo Springfield
Quicksilver Messenger Service
Hawkwind
Deep Purple
Jefferson Airplane

Top list, though I'd substitute Country Joe for Traffic. Nice to see someone else mentioning some Canterbury stuff too.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2008 :  16:11:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know there will be debate (thank goodness), but The Beatles have to be at the top of any list
(I know, caryne, not!). For true creativity, unimaginable innovations in the studio, & just plain wonderful songwriting skills, the Beatles are at the very top along with LoVE. Sometimes the true genius of John-Paul-George-Ringo is forgotten because it's hard to put yourself in context with the times. Back then it had never been done before, musically. It is taken for granted as just part of the scene, but it was truly groundbreaking! Along with Dylan & Love, it doesn't get any higher, creatively. No real groundbreakers today, just great musicians & songwriters carrying on the tradition. You may not like to listen to them, but their influence & talent is not debatable.

Speaking of geezers, I read a thread on Freed's site that said Jerry Lee Lewis & Chuck Berry are going to be touring together in the UK (sometime in the future). Johnny B. Goode & The Killer are still rocking hard! JLL is going to record a new album with Mick & Keith...says we go way back to when they were just kids. It will be a star studded LP, & then the tour.

Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2008 :  17:35:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Beatles - greatest band of all and any future time? Some people might not like them (Are such people insane??), but their position at the top is undeniable.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2008 :  20:52:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Glancing over Boombox's (excellent) list reminds me of how little discussion we've had on this site of the progressive genre. When I was at uni, Yes were all the rage and I particularly remember their imaginative extended covers on Time and a Word of The Beatles' Every Little Thing and The Byrds' I See You. I've got everything by Genesis down to Trick of the Tail, especially loving as I do Selling England By The Pound and The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. My favourite prog group though were Gentle Giant (formely Simon Dupree and The Big Sound) who crafted some exciting music from medieval, renaissance and jazz influences. They did quite well in America and still have a large cult following.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2008 :  21:11:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Glancing over Boombox's (excellent) list reminds me of how little discussion we've had on this site of the progressive genre. When I was at uni, Yes were all the rage and I particularly remember their imaginative extended covers on Time and a Word of The Beatles' Every Little Thing and The Byrds' I See You. I've got everything by Genesis down to Trick of the Tail, especially loving as I do Selling England By The Pound and The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. My favourite prog group though were Gentle Giant (formely Simon Dupree and The Big Sound) who crafted some exciting music from medieval, renaissance and jazz influences. They did quite well in America and still have a large cult following.

Do you know the Elektra super group Rhinoceros ? Their first LP was amazing.
Super talented line up, including Billy Mundi of the Mothers. I love Yes-- anyone know Aorta, a really great progressive psych band from Chicago?!! Kansas did some amazing tunes also.

Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  13:48:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Simon Dupree and The Big Sound? Kites has to be one of the trippiest songs ever. Don't know Gentle Giant as well as I perhaps should, though from the live recordings I have, they must have been a fantastic experience live.

Have to agree on the greatness of early Genesis and Yes too. Their first albums are both highly underrated. From Genesis to Revelation has consistently been in my top twenty, if not not top ten albums for 25 years and as you rightly say, the Byrds and Beatles workouts Yes used to do were excellent. I highly recommend the Something's Coming collection of BBC takes to hear the best of Tony Banks era Yes.

And while we're talking organ playing, how about the first three albums by Atomic Rooster? Now there was a true supergroup that almost no-one's really heard of. Through the course of their career, you had Vincent Crane from The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, John (Du) Cann from The Attack, Carl Palmer from ELP and Pete French, ex-Cactus, who went on to form Leafhound. Later, Chris Farlowe provided the vocals. Bernie Torme and Dave Gilmour shared guitar duties on their swansong album, Headline News, before VC went off to join Dexy's.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  16:22:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
re: sizzling organists!

One of the finest Hammond Organ players ever is Mike Finnegan. He did session work on many albums of the 60's. Of note, that great organ you hear on Electric Ladyland. Also a main
part of the Jerry Hahn Brotherhood...tell me someone knows this super band!! And the even less known Finnegan & Wood on Blue Thumb. One of the more highly respected musician then & now. He recorded one of the definitive readings of Son House's "Death Letter" on "Crazed Hipsters" (Finnegan & Wood). He also does a super cover of Ray Charles & also Dylan.
Sizzling blues..unexcelled. Simply superb! It is out there on vinyl, pick it up if you can.
Hey it's on Blue Thumb. (about the time Arthur was there.)

For a review & link for a CD boot (it's never been reissued in 30+ years) go to....

http://onetrackminds.typepad.com/onetrackminds/2004/12/i_got_a_letter_.html

for more....

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=256585624

GET TO WORK, ROCKER!!!

I've been trying to turn people on to Mike & Jerry Hahn & Jerry Wood for nigh on 40 years.
Mike & Hahn are still rocking (Jerry Hahn is in the top 3 most respected jazz guitarists working the US today...so I've read....and I believe it!!)

Edited by - lemonade kid on 29/10/2008 16:24:33
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  17:14:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jaysus..I come in here and all I do is look forward to work work work!!.....there is no letup with me gettin' an "earful" around these parts from all of you!..
Anyway just a comment after reading all the interesting posts on this thread. All of you are into music and it shows and personally Ii'm all the better for it so thank you all. As far as "tastes", from my end we have similarities and dissimilarities. Now you know on the 'dissimilarities' i think for me it's a point about not having say a relationship with the music involved as opposed to simply not "liking" it. Now it's funny and I have no conscious explanation but as I get older I realize I am into certain music that I never ever thought I'd get into at all. To whit: With David Byrne,I know him from the Talking Heads but now as he has gone on his own he has been making some music that is so novel and creative. A few years ago and I'd probably think what is this ";+?. And here's a combo I would never have thought about....Philip Glass, Eno and Bowie on their "Heroes Symphony". Great creative and collaborative music by the three. They give "modern" music a great name. Then there's the classical side which brings in such great tunes, melodies and harmonies that I couldn't relate to way back when. Right now I guess I'm in a phase going back to the past where I went to mass and heard the church music. Now I can't get enough of Renaissance masses. Only vocals and no instruments. A while back I didn't want to hear only "vocals". I don't know. I guess something happens to us as we get "older'. What is it? Is it the notes? Is it the themes? Is it that our ears are gettin' better? I don't know. And finally as for "rock" hey it nurtured me from the 60's on and I'll probably always rock rock rock 'til the broad daylite! And I have to say thanks to Mick,Keef, Ray D, John, Paul, George, Ringo, Peter T and Roger to kick start everything. And besides makin' me work they cost me alot of money through these ages!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page