Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 Share your all-time favorite BANDS......
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2008 :  15:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thx lk for the background on Mike Nesmith....your makin' me work!.....I'm always learnin' something around here...
Ah Valley Hi...in my collection as well...I love that "oldie"...I've always tried to "Keep on Sailing"!....now you got me going to "Obray Ramsey"...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2008 :  18:55:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

thx lk for the background on Mike Nesmith....your makin' me work!.....I'm always learnin' something around here...
Ah Valley Hi...in my collection as well...I love that "oldie"...I've always tried to "Keep on Sailing"!....now you got me going to "Obray Ramsey"...

Het rocker, you won't believe the mother-load of Ian Matthew's vinyl I landed! All NM.

Matthew's Southern Comfort--1st (Decca)
--Second Spring
--Later That Same Year
Valley Hi (Elektra)
Journey From Gospel Oak ( Mooncrest UK)
Stealin' Home (Mushroom)
Tigers Will Survive (Vertigo)
If You Saw Thro' My Eyes (Vertigo)
Go For Broke (Vertigo white label promo)
Siamese Friends (Mushroom)
Spot Of Interference (RSO< white label)
Hit & Run (Columbia)
Walk A Changing Line (Windham Hill)

...still lookin' for Sometimes You Eat The Bear, Sometimes The Bear Eats You... One of my faves.

By the way, Ian does a beautiful cover of Gene Clark's heart rending song, Polly, on the "Journeys From Gospel Oak" LP. Love that song, which was recently covered on the brilliant "Raising Sand" LP.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 23/10/2008 19:09:42
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2008 :  21:45:26  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

quote:
Originally posted by caryne

quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

oh, yeah, CLASH!!! I love Sandinista! a more melodic and audio-landscape recording than London Calling. i played the L.C. tape in my van every day until it broke. London Calling is one plucking great album! i saw the Clash in 1980 at the Hollywood Palladium. Joe Strummer rest in peace.

...what the world needs now...

My favourite is "The Clash", the first one, guess it's got everything I could want in an album. London Calling is one classic album though and, imo, much better than 'Sandinista' which was a little, in places, overblown. I saw the band over thirty times and also saw Joe's last band, The Mescaleros, several times too.

London Calling
was on Desert Island Discs last week. Around 1980 or so I began to get into some of the new wave scene. I was especially inspired by the Derek Jarman's films, Jubilee and The Tempest. Both featured Toyah - and I promptly bought up all her recordings as they came out even to the extent of tracking down a difficult to find EP.

Hmm, I am smiling a little bit here as 'Toyah' was always considered a bit of an 'also ran' in the 'New Wave' scene. I like both Jubilee and The Tempest but find her appearances in both profoundly annoying. Oh, well, no accounting for musical taste I suppose
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2008 :  22:30:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what makes this forum so interesting...... having the opportunity to discuss our individual musical heritages and to explain how we came by them.... whilst maintaining a positive spirit .....well that's what I've always thought, anyway.

Edited by - John9 on 23/10/2008 23:09:12
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  03:22:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's what makes this forum so interesting...... having the opportunity to discuss our individual musical heritages and to explain how we came by them.... whilst maintaining a positive spirit .....well that's what I've always thought, anyway.

Right on, john. I'm so far away from The Clash & most of that genre, those that love them might find me annoyingly ignorant.......but as you said, that's what makes the world go round & I'm happy there are so many musical tastes.....many that only serve to reinforce my musical convictions.

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  03:26:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha!! I just hit "Old Love" level ...... Goes with my 60's mantra & musical tastes. I guess!!
But yes, my tastes do run into current trends & music, too....

Go to Top of Page

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  14:05:56  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There are four of us in the "Old Love" category LK, you're in esteemed company! (LOL)
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  17:09:52  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

Ha!! I just hit "Old Love" level ...... Goes with my 60's mantra & musical tastes. I guess!!
But yes, my tastes do run into current trends & music, too....

It does just drive me mad when people only listen to music from one era or genre though. There is so much great stuff from everywhere, even now, that I just find it so sad when people close their minds to stuff and say things like 'I only listen to 60's music' or suchlike.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  22:34:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thing about the 60s though is that they witnessed a total revolution in popular music - and that this was part of a much wider revolution in culture, politics, and society. It was a little bit like the Big Bang - with the greatest expansion taking place in the shortest period of time right at the beginning. Of course, a great deal of music since that time remains eminently listenable - but I do not believe that it has been anything like as innovative. To put it another way, has any album from say, the 80s or 90s had the same timeless quality that Forever Changes still commands?

Edited by - John9 on 24/10/2008 22:36:08
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  23:08:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The thing about the 60s though is that they witnessed a total revolution in popular music - and that this was part of a much wider revolution in culture, politics, and society. It was a little bit like the Big Bang - with the greatest expansion taking place in the shortest period of time right at the beginning. Of course, a great deal of music since that time remains eminently listenable - but I do not believe that it has been anything like as innovative. To put it another way, has any album from say, the 80s or 90s had the same timeless quality that Forever Changes still commands?

Or S.F Sorrow, Blond On Blond, Pet Sounds, Revolver..........ya,
so true, J9. So many, still as timeless today.

Go to Top of Page

pooka
First Love

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2008 :  05:39:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No takers for Joy of Cooking, hmm? Sorry for pushing, but doesnt anybody else have fond memories of this band?
Go to Top of Page

ed the bear
Fourth Love

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2008 :  07:25:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll second John9 on the Byrds, surprising nobody that's read any of my ravings here.

I still love the Clash. Most punk-era music didn't age well, but the Clash built their sound on a solid foundation of melody, so it endures.

Speaking of that era, any takers for Bram Tchaikovsky? "Strange Man, Changed Man," pops up on the jukebox inside my head with amazing regularity.

Edited by - ed the bear on 25/10/2008 07:27:23
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2008 :  11:55:55  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ed the bear

I'll second John9 on the Byrds, surprising nobody that's read any of my ravings here.

I still love the Clash. Most punk-era music didn't age well, but the Clash built their sound on a solid foundation of melody, so it endures.

Speaking of that era, any takers for Bram Tchaikovsky? "Strange Man, Changed Man," pops up on the jukebox inside my head with amazing regularity.

Have to totally disagree about 'most punk-era' music not aging well. Yes, there was some rubbish, as there is in any genre, but to me it still sounds as fresh, vital and lively now as it did then. Maybe it's just a matter of taste? After all some people say music from the 60's sounds tired and dated, after all?
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2008 :  14:04:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It could well be that this is all a matter of different generations. The soundtrack to one's formative years is always going to command a special place in one's affections. I am 57 - and in my highly subjective world view, nothing can compete in importance with what was happening in music....and in the wider world.....during the period 1965-70. If however, I had been 18 in 1980 then I would probably have been much more influenced by one or other of the competing values that were circulating in Thatcher's Britain.....and I would imagine that I would have found new wave and punk to be excellent vehicles for musical appreciation and expression ....and I would now be waxing lyrical about it all on websites such as this. This said, I do believe that the most seminal music of the 1960s has reached out much more across the generations than any other.

Edited by - John9 on 25/10/2008 17:29:45
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  10:17:30  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, the music of one's youth does often have a special importance to a person. However, as I said before, I think it is very important not to be closed to other eras and listen to stuff from both before and after that time. Personally I think that though there was fantastic music in the 60's I wouldn't say it was the only time when seminal/influential/important music was being made, that has always happened and, hopefully, always will. For me, it is just very sad when people close their ears to stuff from outside of their 'era'.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page