Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 Share your all-time favorite BANDS......
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2008 :  21:53:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to start with the band with one of my all time favorite drummers & vocalists--Levon Helm.

The Band

Edited by - lemonade kid on 17/10/2008 02:45:21

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2008 :  00:46:37  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Man! his "Dirt Farmer" cd is soooo good! very organic sounding, and great , solid-rock-steady drumming and soul singing.

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2008 :  00:58:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Band were magnificent - but if you put me on the proverbial desert island with just one, then it would have to be The (original) Byrds. A couple of weeks ago, I played Younger Than Yesterday - and then The Notorious Byrd Brothers. Forever Changes aside, I cannot think of any group albums that move me in quite the way that those two still do.

Edited by - John9 on 17/10/2008 01:21:40
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2008 :  01:32:28  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
agreed! "notorious byrd brothers" and Bufallo Springfield's 1st , as well as most of the Beatles' , are among the best of the best next to "forever changes"!!!

Go to Top of Page

pooka
First Love

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2008 :  03:10:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone remember Joy of Cooking? The album of that same name and Castles (I don't know how many they cut) are among my favorites. Bob Dylan; Jeff Buckley and Tim Buckley. I can't forget to mention Getz/Gilberto and the earliest Jackson Browne albums.

Pooka

"we ... are too late for Lethe's tide; too soon for that bridge that leaves old Styx half-spanned.."
-derived from Wilfred Owen
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2008 :  03:11:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

agreed! "notorious byrd brothers" and Bufallo Springfield's 1st , as well as most of the Beatles' , are among the best of the best next to "forever changes"!!!

I was saving Buffalo Springfield for one of you guys! Thanks, bob. Mono For What It's Worth kicks! I grew up with the mono version of that LP & can't stand the very different stereo mix. Byrds too, guys! But I'd choose Music From Big Pink. It's just so fresh every time I listen to that one! Long Black Veil, I Shall Be Released, Tears Of Rage, Chest Fever....The Weight.

Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2008 :  23:03:30  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have so many bands I love but, if I only had to choose one, it would be The Clash. As a teenager they totally inspired me, they had all I wanted.
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2008 :  23:28:53  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
oh, yeah, CLASH!!! I love Sandinista! a more melodic and audio-landscape recording than London Calling. i played the L.C. tape in my van every day until it broke. London Calling is one plucking great album! i saw the Clash in 1980 at the Hollywood Palladium. Joe Strummer rest in peace.

Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2008 :  01:29:03  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

oh, yeah, CLASH!!! I love Sandinista! a more melodic and audio-landscape recording than London Calling. i played the L.C. tape in my van every day until it broke. London Calling is one plucking great album! i saw the Clash in 1980 at the Hollywood Palladium. Joe Strummer rest in peace.

My favourite is "The Clash", the first one, guess it's got everything I could want in an album. London Calling is one classic album though and, imo, much better than 'Sandinista' which was a little, in places, overblown. I saw the band over thirty times and also saw Joe's last band, The Mescaleros, several times too.
Go to Top of Page

undergroundbasement
Third Love

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2008 :  08:40:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Had it not been for the Experience, I would never have been introduced to the music of Love.

We're all normal...
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2008 :  15:21:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..underground.."All Along the Watchtower's" opening..has to be one of greatest opening riffs in all songdom....Mr.Hendrix wasn't on our planet when he did that one.....
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2008 :  17:56:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caryne

quote:

My favourite is "The Clash", the first one, guess it's got everything I could want in an album. London Calling is one classic album though and, imo, much better than 'Sandinista' which was a little, in places, overblown. I saw the band over thirty times and also saw Joe's last band, The Mescaleros, several times too.

London Calling
was on Desert Island Discs last week. Around 1980 or so I began to get into some of the new wave scene. I was especially inspired by the Derek Jarman's films, Jubilee and The Tempest. Both featured Toyah - and I promptly bought up all her recordings as they came out even to the extent of tracking down a difficult to find EP.

Edited by - John9 on 20/10/2008 17:57:58
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2008 :  21:05:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Global Village Trucking Company. Recently got back together again!
http://www.myspace.com/globalvillagetruckingcompany2008
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  01:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael Nesmith & The First National Band All three LPs.

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  14:45:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very good lk..do you know what Mike is doing these days??
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  16:53:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

very good lk..do you know what Mike is doing these days??

He's very active in world organizations on intellectual solutions to world problems (hosted the Counsel on Ideas since the 90's). He also is currently producing a project called Vigeoranch 3D--a virtual environment on the internet that hosts live performances of various venues on the Ranch. His latest music project is to add another "cycle" to The Prison/The Garden albums & novellas. Have you got The Prison, rocker? ...a concept album full of 6, 8, 10 minute tracks....very nice. Oh & I just picked up Valley Hi by Ian Matthews, produced by Papa Nez.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 22/10/2008 16:56:20
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page