Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General discussions about music
 Share your favorite "youtube" video.......
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 50

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2011 :  16:34:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very good....You know it looks like Mark is making a nice living after his stint with Dire Straits. One thing I've noticed listening to him is that I enjoy most of his stuff "live" where he can be creative and throw off his riffs. Little different than when he's in the studio. The thing with Knopfler's guitar playing is not so much his technicality I think but the little "sounds" he fills in as he's playing. You can hear it in that True Loves Never Fades video. And sometimes those little flicks (besides the overall melody) are just so appropo to the art of music. Beautiful stuff I think when hearing music......
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2011 :  21:59:04  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeah, MK knows and feels just the right dosage of sound and notes to play , and gets the subtle, dynamic , patient fills.

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2011 :  13:54:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...let's call it the "MK effect!"...
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  01:14:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A pretty nice sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-7QSMyz5rg
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  01:17:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One more good sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8AYQvz3nBw
Go to Top of Page

captain america and billy
Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  15:49:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who was the bassist here?Much of the Animals' sound seems dependent on it,much like Jack Bruce's contributions to Cream.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9450 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  19:43:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John Weider was proficient on bass and guitar....but I believe it is Danny McCollough that played bass for The New Animals.

Daniel Joseph 'Danny' McCulloch (born 18 July 1945) is an English musician, best known for having been the bassist of the 1960s psychedelic rock group Eric Burdon & The Animals.[1]

McCulloch was born in Shepherd's Bush, West London, England. In late 1966, after the breakup of the original incarnation of The Animals, McCulloch joined in for being the first "New Animal" of frontman Eric Burdon's new formation. It released a series of albums and hit singles, the latter including "San Franciscan Nights", "Monterey" and "Sky Pilot". Band members Vic Briggs and McCulloch were fired from the band to put in future Police man Andy Summers for the last New Animals album, Love Is, in late 1968.

McCulloch and Briggs started a duo career. In 1969 they released the album Wings of a Man. In 1971 McCulloch was the bassist on Red King's solo LP.

In 1993 he put togeather a new Animals group, which rerecorded the old hits and a few others. In 1995 he recorded with several musicians a second solo album, Beowulf. In the 2000s he was touring with a new Animals formation, called Animals and Friends.

Not to be confused with either of two members of the 1970s band Wings, Henry McCullough (who did work under original Animal Chas Chandler's management) or Jimmy McCulloch.

John Weider (born 21 April 1947, Shepherd's Bush, London, England) is a rock musician who is equally proficient on guitar, bass, and violin. He is best known as the bass player for the British band, Family from 1969 to 1971.

Before joining Family, Weider had already accumulated a formidable list of credits despite being only 22 when he joined to replace Ric Grech after Grech defected to Blind Faith. He played alongside Steve Marriott as a teenager in a pre-Small Faces band called Steve Marriott and the Moments. He then went on to replace Mick Green as lead guitarist in Johnny Kidd and the Pirates.

In 1966, Eric Burdon, frontman for The Animals, put together a new Animals backing group when the original members departed (Eric Burdon and the New Animals, sometimes called Eric Burdon and the Animals), and he recruited Weider to play guitar. The first album by the new ensemble was the 1967 effort, Winds of Change, in which Burdon abandoned the old blues sound of the Animals and went psychedelic. Weider stayed with the group through 1968, recording The Twain Shall Meet, Every One of Us, and Love Is, the latter being a soul-based psychedelic rock album that also included future Police guitarist Andy Summers. By 1969, though, Weider was in California playing in an obscure group called Stonehenge when Ric Grech abruptly left Family during that band's first, disastrous U.S. tour and the band needed a new bassist immediately.

Weider thus replaced Grech in Family. Like Grech he was both a bassist and also a fine violinist, and many of Family's songs had incorporated violin in their arrangements. Weider joined midway through the tour, which ended prematurely owing to lead singer Roger Chapman's visa problems. The single "No Mule's Fool", Family's first single with Weider on board, took the band in a country-rock direction.

Weider appears on Family's two 1970 albums, A Song for Me and Anyway released ten months apart.

Weider left Family in the summer of 1971. Although he had replaced Ric Grech as Family's bassist, he was primarily a guitarist and wanted to get away from the bass for a while.[citation needed] He joined Stud, a group that coincidentally featured guitarist-bassist Jim Cregan, who would become Family's final bass player in 1972. After Stud broke up Weider did some session work and released his self titled debut solo album in 1976. In the mid 1970s, he was also a member of the band Moonrider with Keith West. His more recent albums (listed below) are more in a New Age vein than in a folk, rock, or country style.[citation needed]

In 1979 he was featured on Gullivers album "Ridin' the Wind".

-wiki

Edited by - lemonade kid on 01/07/2011 19:48:17
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  01:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those of you that remember this one.

It is a special song.
I think these sisters were only 12 and 14 years old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2R3CmLEiGo
Go to Top of Page

Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  16:07:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A big favorite of my mother when SHE was twelve and thirteen.This is NOT a sarcastic quip about your age,I'm serious.She used to tell me about them when I was a kid.
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  16:43:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea. I'm older than you, but younger than your Mom. It's just one of those songs, that when I mention it to someone, it evokes a certain memory, just as in your case.

Here's Steve Martin and Bernadette Peters from The Jerk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI8NuFAETMQ&feature=related
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

Bangladesh
670 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  14:05:44  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The reason why I still LOVE Kula Shaker...

Ophelia - Acoustic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GERcxy77g-0&feature=related

So underrated it hurts!
Go to Top of Page

Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  15:57:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Enchanting folk.I love this rag style made famous in the sixties by artists like Donovan.Is this a NEW release?
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

Bangladesh
670 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  20:09:04  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fairly new. Off their latest album, 'Pilgrims Progress' which is a great album.

This is another off the same album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw-iUJ4YDTw
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  15:29:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
markk...

That hit by Patience and Prudence was from the 50's and kind of typified the sound then....after that I can recall that tune Telstar by the Tornadoes which came out in '62. To go from P&P's song to that well for me it evoked something so new...things were changin'......
Go to Top of Page

Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  15:36:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That second Ophelia number chimes of brilliant Dylanesque ebb and flow.Dig it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 50  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page