Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  13:18:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grace Slick said in a recent television interview that you should pack it in before you're fifty - she claims that it just becomes embarrassing after that. But as we know, Arthur was giving his best ever concert performances at the age of fifty-eight. Paul McCartney (at sixty-six), I thought was as good as ever in his recent 'Liverpool City of Culture' spectacular, whilst the Stones have if anything, enhanced their standing by cornering the market in wrinkly rockerdom. But of course it doesn't work for all rock veterans - and I was startled to read in another thread that David Freibeg had recently resembled "someone's grandma on stage". Is it simply that you remain credible as long as you can continue to redefine yourself and so constantly reach out to new generations of fans?

Edited by - John9 on 03/08/2008 13:55:37

Cal Jam
Fourth Love

220 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  15:30:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grace Slick is obviously wrong and perhaps a bit out of touch. Arthur Lee's gig a few years back in Newcastle was sensational, and the crowd were largely people in their 20s. Neil Young is still making career-defining albums with the vigour of someone half his age. And some of these hoary old rockers still give off some of the best live gigs on the current circuit. Grace, bless her, cannot tell me that John Fogerty letting rip to a packed Apollo with a soaring version of Ramble Tamble was embarrassing. There is hardly anything embarrassing about filling out a venue and attracting fans of all ages.

There are some examples of people going on a little longer than they should, but you don't lose the ability to rock simply because you turn 50. Try telling BB King.

I don't even think you have to necessarily redefine yourself. The Stones have played plenty of greatest hits sets over the years. So long as you can do your material justice in a live setting, then there is nothing embarrassing about it.

Provided, of course, you're not still trying to fit into your spandex.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  17:48:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hell. Grace has said that for 10, or 20 years....I agree that it is an individual case by case kind of situation.
Maybe Grace feels SHE would seem foolish & the kind of music she wrote & sang might look
undignified for her.....after all, she was a pretty hot rocker back when I saw her in 70 with the
Volunteers tour. She might be right, for her case. A grandma doing Triad, or Lather, or Eskimo Blue Day
might not work, know what I mean. I trust her judgement. I also trust others who have gone on to greater
heights, like Neil Young. If you've got it in you, keep on keepin' on.

trouble comin' everyday.......

Go to Top of Page

TJSAbass
Fourth Love

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  21:56:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry, Jagger just looks ridiculous. He needs to redefine his stage persona, if anyone does. A guy his age dancing around like that just doesn't cut it. The days of teenage riots at Stones' shows are long gone.
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  22:38:36  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeah, i think "old" is a state of mind, not age. there are some under 50 who are "old", mainly because they got square and sold out creatively and lost the spirit. sad to see great ones lose their artistic vision. Johnny Cash(riP), and Bob Dylan, and Al Kooper, and, Chris Hillman, and Jorma Kaukonen, didn't try to stay hip with phony hipness to keep their youthful appearance. they embraced and accepted their vintage experiences, and just rolled with it, creating new chapters of great music!

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

Rob Dudda
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  23:00:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I'm glad Arthur didnt pack it all in at 50 otherwise i never would've got to see him
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  23:48:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bob f.

Totally agreeing with your post and wanting to add something to your sign-off...what the world needs now

Jackie DeShannon was amongst the very elite of her time back in the early LA scene. She would often record songs written by other famous artist as well as write/co-write songs for other famous groups.

PBS had a special the other night mostly marketing an 8 CD set of the '60's scene'. But they did show the current Ms. DeShannon singing that famous song. All I could say is that she looks great and sounds as good as ever.

They had Eric Burdon (a little heavy in body ) , but sounding marvelous. Roger McGuinn as well and equally superb.

Aging is a state of the mind. It's what you think of it and how you define and interpret it. Than all you do is live out your youth.

Allan

Edited by - Allan on 03/08/2008 23:48:40
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  00:06:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still smarting from paying the cash to go to Reading in '88 to see Starship - correction, to see Grace at 48 years old - but she had left just beforehand. I know she is oft quoted as saying no-one wants to watch an old woman on stage, but her charisma and voice, which I have no doubt would have lasted a while longer, would have made up for the fact she didn't look as good as in the 60s and 70s - and if she was touring again now, I'd be first in the queue. However, had she not quit the Jefferson machine, I might never have had the experience of seeing Diana Mangano, who in recent years usurped Janis Joplin as my second favourite female singer of all time, so in a small way she did me a favour.

I too agree with the premise you can still sound good in your 60s and 70s - though Jagger needs to grow up a bit and stop the teenage posturing now. Some of the best concerts I've seen in the last year have been by more mature performers:

Gong (Daevid Allen - 70; Gilli Smythe -75?!?!; Mike Howlett - 58; Steve Hillage - 57)
Julie Felix - 70
Jefferson Starship (David Freiberg - 70 (nearly); PK - 67)
Eric Andersen - 65
Fairport Convention (Simon Nicol - 57; Dave Pegg - 61; Gerry Conway - 61)
Rick Wakeman (59)

and later this month it's the Rhythm Festival in Bedford - Richie Havens, Zombies, Pretty Things, Man etc, so who says you're too old to rock'n'roll?
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  00:22:41  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
i saw that tv show, too, and also, love Dusty!
i just realized that i did'nt list any females, and there are many like , Etta James! still belting out the blues rock, and yes, i like Stevie Nicks (saw her on tv Soundstage show!) Emilly Harris, Janis Ian, Carol King, ....and, i sure would like Grace Slick to realize her fans love her very much, and sing her ass off , again!
even if it's a low-key accoustic comeback produced by that(help me)producer of Johnny Cash's last cds. she's ripe for harvest , now!
somebody tell her to snap out of it!(Cher?).

Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  00:34:45  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
okeedokee, my old, senile brain just rememembered, Rick Rubin.
or, maybe Rob Zombie might produce her in the other way!
hell! a duet with Jorma!? how about the most cool: her singing with the Jefferson Airplane! all available original members, or am i still crazy!?

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  15:19:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heh heh I dunno weren't we the people who said "don't trust anyone over 30"?????.....(don't shoot me I'm only the pianoplayer....
baby, we've come a long way you know???

I get a kick out of all this "old stuff"..it's a joke right?..we are all "rockers", rock on folks rock on...like breathing "rock" is a state of life...bliss looks to me like I'll be listening to "Last Time" when I "go out"......
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  15:21:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and btw don't you all have your "epitaph" song, eh??????????...
Go to Top of Page

jellybean
Fifth Love

316 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  02:33:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nobody is ever to old to rock, how would people of a younger generation get to hear what we love in all it's glory if people didn't still get out there and show us what their made of. I thank god I had the pleasure to experience Arthur in quite a few fantastic shows which I will treasure till I die.

ps
it may have been me who mentioned the david freiburg granny thing, it was my friend who had been on a few substances and had got it onto his head at the london show that df looked like his dearly departed granny...
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  14:22:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jellybean..You're lucky. I only saw him once. I should've shook his hand and said "Thanks". With regard to FC, he did it many years ago and the words and music keep echoing on through the years. I guess it's the "soundtrack" of our lives...
Go to Top of Page

jellybean
Fifth Love

316 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  16:47:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least you got the one show which is a good thing, i'd attended one gig with a newly converted love fan and she was so dissapointed when Arthur was a no show, little did we know about what Arthur was going through with his illness.
As for Grace Slick saying people can get old to rock, Grace seems to have a hang up about the ageing process, it's reflected in some of her lyrics. She may have put on a few pounds and gained a wonderful silver head of hair but she is still a stunning woman, I think many people would love to experience her wit and powerful voice live, damn sure I would!
I think some people look better older, take Paul Weller, looks far better now than in his Jam days.
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  17:29:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you imagine...a Grace Slick/Great Society reunion. OMG

Allan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic