Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

torben
Fifth Love

Denmark
328 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2007 :  09:20:48  Show Profile  Visit torben's Homepage  Reply with Quote
those that recorded/played with Love/Arthur Lee?

I got an email from Jeff Hughes, a friend of Dave Hull and Charlie Karp, asking me if I wanted to know what they are doing today.
He will try to put a history together about what they have been doing since then, but to start off here's something quite new.
Earlier this year Dave has been filling in for Tom Hammilton in Aerosmith.
Here's a photo from an Aerosmith concert:

Dave Hull in background w/ Bass.
Dave was also with Joe Perry Project and Fahrenheit.
here's a you tube w/ Dave Hull from Farrenheit 1997 ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnXnE9EyACc

What ever happened to Craig Tarwater, Drachen Theaker, Noony Ricketts, John Sterling, Sherwood Akuna and all the others?

Edited by - torben on 12/12/2007 08:31:29

torben
Fifth Love

Denmark
328 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2007 :  18:00:37  Show Profile  Visit torben's Homepage  Reply with Quote
More Dave Hull here:
http://tabloidbaby.blogspot.com/2006/09/david-hulls-rock-star-supernova.html
Go to Top of Page

barbinberkeley
Fourth Love

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2007 :  08:53:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a beautiful picture you posted, Torben! The mention of gene splicing reminded me of how cool it would be to have a big chart like a family tree of musicians and the various bands they've played in. Maybe it's already been done.
Go to Top of Page

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2007 :  10:30:14  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
http://bandtoband.com/index.php?Page=Search&BandId=3701

I found this. Barb, it looks like someone is trying to do it.

I always liked Pete Frame's Rock Family trees as well - great big spider diagrams, I'll do some digging around about that as well.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2007 :  15:27:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Torben:

Re: John Sterling...I read that he has or had a cable tv show "The Jazz Network" out there in Cal. Not sure if it's still on.
And speaking of jazz, I was struck how all those jazz people affected rock back in the 60's by being involved in the music for some of the great bands and songs. I'm not sure if many people know that. As they say, were they rockin' or jazzin' at that time?
Go to Top of Page

Merlyn Merlot
Fourth Love

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2007 :  04:04:06  Show Profile  Visit Merlyn Merlot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sterling also played in the Eric Burdon band for years
I saw a great set one night many years ago with Brian Auger on Keyboards
He Also has worked with Ray Kennedy for a long time as well

He has a great studio in the San Fernando valley where he records and produces

The cable show which was great
has been off the air for years

mm
Go to Top of Page

barbinberkeley
Fourth Love

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  08:20:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is why I love this messageboard! Where else could you hear people talking about Mitch Ryder and Question Mark and the Mysterians! Love you all, my people!
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  14:24:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
now you brought me back with ? and the Mysterians...they came and played at one of my hs dances...........and then I remember all those bands playing "Wipeout" with the drummers going out of their minds playing those rolls in between the short riffs!.......
Go to Top of Page

clarke713
Third Love

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2007 :  05:04:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mitch Ryder and the detroit wheels played at the local staples H.S @1964 ... that is when i was introduced to them ... but yes the Ventures w/ wipeout ... another great ... i did not know this recording of them on stage existed until you just mentioned them ... those were the day's ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkYSDYDc8mE

jeff

Edited by - clarke713 on 13/12/2007 05:29:31
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2007 :  14:53:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and I had to find out more about Rocket 88.....the background....

The song appears to have been written on the way to a recording session for producer Sam Philips who was expecting an original song from Turner and his band. The idea came from cars they were seeing on the way to the session. Turner thought they'd see more Oldsmobiles on the road than Chryslers. As for the song, it had a distorted sound as a result of a busted amp cone when it fell out of the car trunk, it was fast and it had two and not one sax as recordings did in those days. Jackie Brenston got credit for the song and not Turner because Philips didn't want Turner to have two singles out under his name at the time (Philips already intended to get one out for Turner). Rocket 88 went to no. 1 in '51 after 4 weeks. 500,000 copies were sold and the band was paid 20 bucks apiece!
Go to Top of Page

clarke713
Third Love

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2008 :  15:16:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the first song i ever heard of Arthur's and still my favorite ... tooooo good ... love - my little red book

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hLP8_F2fkw

jeff
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2008 :  20:41:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tjay Cantrelli (from da capo) went on to play with Geronimo Black I believe. Its believed that hes passed

Snoopy tried to start a band in the UK after the first 2 LoVE albums, I think. Hes still alive I believe

Saw Rozelle playing guitar on tv's Moral Court some years back - he was important to later LoVE sound (he plays on "Five String Serenade" for instance)

Bryan put out ifyoubelievein on Sundazed before he passed in the late 90s. He was also on BBC tv around the same time, playing stuff off Intramurals (one of the Castle issues reviewed the BBC special he played live on)

Jay Donnellon (Four Sail) has come out with solo material from what I understand

George Suranovich (drums Four Sail to False Start) is passed, late in life he gave music lessons. Unsure if he played on any records besides with LoVE..

Michael Stuart-Ware still plays and wrote a good book on Love - tho it doesn't really talk about the music too much as the personalities in the group (he lived with Snoopy for a while)

Echols wants to do Gethsemene material, though I've not heard anything hes played since Forever Changes. Apparently just sessions.. (Miles, etc)

Forssi played with local musicians I believe in FL, though I've never come across any recordings with him. He played with the Sufaris in their last Japanese tour I believe, though its not clear if any recordings survive
Go to Top of Page

clarke713
Third Love

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2008 :  21:08:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DIRTY ANGELS
KISS TOMORROW GOODBYE (1977) DIRTY ANGELS (1978)

Every line you're gonna read is lifted from the lost in the grooves blog. Boston’s Dirty Angels were a truly marvelous Stonesy guitar band who played upbeat, driving pop to the obvious delight of very few. No one remembers these guys it seems, which is odd because to me the Boston ‘indie/punk’ scene was always one of the more forgettable - notable exceptions (Reddy Teddy, Real Kids, Nervous Eaters, DMZ) aside. For those that care though, the core of the Dirty Angels grew out of a funky, soul and blues group called White Chocolate (one LP, ’73 on RCA - don’t stop reading yet!) which had actually begun its life as Arthur Lee’s backing/touring band in the early 70’s (they don‘t sound anything like ‘Vindicator,’ I assure you). Adjusting the name of the band to something less distasteful, the DA’s became one of the first signings to Seymour Stein’s newly reorganized and nascent ’new wave’-friendly Sire label in late 1975. Nevertheless, the relationship between Sire and the Angels did not last long, the band remaining on the label just long enough to issue its debut single: a competent airing of Tim Moore's ‘Rock ‘N‘ Roll Love Letter’ (yes, the same one the Rollers and the Records did - how’s that for ideological commitment!) which, with no label support, unsurprisingly failed. Still, it appeared that at least someone had taken notice of the band; for as quickly as the band had been dropped, New York’s Private Stock label scooped them up, pairing them perfectly with early Blondie producer and ex-Strangelove, Richard Gottehrer. Sounding as if the poppiest tendencies of Richard Llloyd and Tom Verlaine mated with the classic girl-centric themes of very-proper-Bostonians Piper and the Sidewinders, the Dirty Angels first LP, ‘Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye,’ is every bit as seductive as the Cagney film from whence it takes its name. The production is patent ’Instant Record’ Gottehrer - sparkling and pristine - while the lead-off track and first single, ’Tell Me’ - with its ascending chorus and Telecaster riffing, seemingly tailor-made for a Greg Shaw end-of-year list - is every bit as good, if not better, than the Sidewinders’ ’Rendezvous’ or Piper’s ’Who’s Your Boyfriend.’ Though nothing else on the record quite equals it, the remaining eight tracks on the album are all above-average pop - offerings stacked high with ample licks of spry, non-groin-grinding guitar. A year later, a second album was released with a different version of their classic "Tell Me"

http://powerpopcriminals.blogspot.com/2007/07/dirty-angels-kiss-tomorrow-goodbye-1977.html

jeff
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2008 :  16:49:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! a mention of the Records (they still tour by the way)

So who's White Chocolate? - they backed up Arthur on Vindicator?

I never thought much of that album to be honest. The only song that ever made much of an impression is "Love jumped through my window" - I remember Jay ("Singing Cowboy") Donellan being interviewed on the song in an old issue of the Castle, and how it was about Arthur breaking into his own house or something

The version of "Everybodys gotta live" on Reel to real I prefer as well

Go to Top of Page

clarke713
Third Love

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2008 :  03:16:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About White Chocolate

This Connecticut based outfit came together in 1971, after ending their time as the backing band for both Buddy Miles and Arthur Lee. White Chocolate soon dominated the east coast circuit and soon came to the attention of RCA Records, who promptly signed the band and issued their self-titled debut in 1973. Though the album contains some enterprising material, poor promotion resulted in stiffed album sales which eventually killed the band's contract with RCA and ultimately the band itself. The prinicipals of the band quickly regrouped in 1975 under the newly dubbed Dirty Angels and eventually went on to issue two cult classic before imploding at the close of the decade. Members later went on to acts like Joe Perry Project, Farrenheit and Slo Leak.................

Charlie Karp still plays about the westport ct. area on occasion and teaches some guitar ... gets it on with a group slo-leak w/ Danny Kortchmar at times ....

The '90s have been a decade where technology has taken over everything that we see and do; it has even affected what music we listen to. Everything from jazz to rock has had some shard of technology thrown into it. Now we see that this is happening to the blues with the release of SloLeak's album, "When The Clock Strikes 12."

This duo is a collaboration of longtime producer/guitarist Danny Kortchmar, who has produced albums for James Taylor, Billy Joel, Neil Young, and renowned R&B singer Charlie Karp, who has performed with the likes of Buddy Miles and with his own band, The Dirty Angels.

http://siue.com/ALESTLE/library/fall99/sep.09/sloleak.html

and Dave Hull is up by Cape Cod ... writing and jamming w/ a number of great players ... just heard him with a tight group in a local pub ... great stuff still flying from his bass and he writes a lot of new stuff ...

jeff
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2008 :  05:42:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wish I had my old Castles..
they must've sung on Real to Reel or something
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic