Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

barbinberkeley
Fourth Love

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2007 :  05:59:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why do musicians seem to have more substance abuse issues than other people, or is that really the case. I can see working late in places where there is alcohol, and the lonliness of touring, but is there something else? I was thinking of all the great musicians we've lost especially from alcohol and heroin.

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2007 :  19:53:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's the Muse.
Drives 'em stone crazy.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2007 :  23:47:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is interesting that this discussion has arisen in the midst of the debate over Amy Winehouse which has been raging in Britain this very day. I think that there is no doubt that chemicals were responsible for moving music on to new levels - especially during the 1960s - and I am sure that we all have our favourite examples: 'Eight Miles High', 'Tomorrow Never Knows and 'Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds' would be three of mine. I also believe though that prolonged substance abuse was one of the reasons why some of the acts who had been trailblazers in the second half of the 60s had descended into turgidity by the early 70s. Jefferson Airplane I think certainly fit into this pattern - but I remember on buying 'Vindicator' in 1972 wondering whether Arthur Lee really had been the man behind 'Forever Changes' - I know better now of course! As for me - well I missed out on the whole thing. Somebody passed me a joint at a party in 1970 and it did bugger all for me - never tried anything since - but I really do revel in the musical legacy.

Edited by - John9 on 28/08/2007 23:55:29
Go to Top of Page

Alone Again
Fourth Love

Ireland
188 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2007 :  00:13:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya should check out this months Classic Rock drug issue,its all about notorious rock stars and their drug habits.
Go to Top of Page

barbinberkeley
Fourth Love

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2007 :  00:58:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was specifically wondering about the use of downers, alcohol and heroin. Those are the ones that have finished off the most of them. I wasn't thinking so much of the psychedelics, because they have such a different effect, and don't result in death, unless you try to fly off a building.
Incidentally, Jimmy Page looks great lately. I saw him on a guitar magazine, and he looked so happy and healthy. At least he made it through when many others didn't. I will check out the Classic Rock drug issue if you recommend it, Alone Again.

Edited by - barbinberkeley on 29/08/2007 01:01:57
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2007 :  09:01:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's probably difficult to generalise - but affluence and the attendant boredom I would imagine bring with them the need for continual sensory gratification - and with this any notion of safe boundaries goes out of the window. I especially admire two personalities in music who went against the current on this: Donovan, who in the sleevenotes to his album 'A Gift From A Flower To A Garden' urged young people to turn away from drugs - and Frank Zappa who actively enforced a strict ban on drugs within his band The Mothers Of Invention - this of course belied the 'counter culture' image projected by the group.

Barbinberkely - coincidentally, Jimmy Page was the subject of a 'University Challenge' quiz question in the UK on Monday. The riff from 'Whole Lotta Love' was played and the competing teams - from Oxford and Cambridge - were asked to identify the gutarist. One young hopeful buzzed in with "Jimmy Plant" - then the other team offered "Robert Plant". Mind you in a similar question Keith Richards reputation didn't fare any better! Keith Richards - now there's an epic tale of drugs survival - rock's very own Grim Reaper!

Edited by - John9 on 29/08/2007 09:19:51
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2007 :  14:43:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keith..he's something, eh? Wonder what he's going to say in the bio he's said to be working on.
Drugs and rock'n'roll.....a combination that appears to go hand in hand. My own theory..the rock'n'roll life is a killer and it can take people into areas that they perhaps don't thave the wherewithal to handle the stresses. It's an atypical life on our planet. Many are called few are chosen to handle the grasping achievement of fame.
Go to Top of Page

jellybean
Fifth Love

316 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2007 :  16:48:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still stand by my theory that keef actually popped off years ago but he was that pickled that his organs carried on regardless and he floats round like some guitar playing ghoulie ghosty

you know i'm right
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2007 :  21:14:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heh heh yeah and that's why we've got to hear what keef, the old boy scout once, says...

"The music business has never been any different.It's a pool of piranhas. You want to get in there? You better be not tasty".

"I never go to bed. I just keep going until I pass out".

"Some doctor told me I had six months to live,and I went to their funeral..I don't trust doctors".

"The one thing I'll never do (again) is the dope..Everything else is up for grabs. Why wouldn't I do the dope again? Because I've been there and done that and it's (expletive deleted) painful, man. The other (idiots) are doing it all the time and I pity them".

Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2007 :  22:24:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yet another coincidence - Keith Richards has been in the news over here this very day. You can read all about it at the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6968887.stm

But it can't really be Keith can it........not our Keith? As you can see from the photo, just like Jimmy Page he's been looking really good lately.

Edited by - John9 on 29/08/2007 22:27:40
Go to Top of Page

barbinberkeley
Fourth Love

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2007 :  00:31:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, he's been lookin like that fer years. what's really fun is to listen to him talk. Check out Weird Al Yankovics interview with Keith Richards on Google Video.
Go to Top of Page

barbinberkeley
Fourth Love

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2007 :  05:05:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Alone Again, I can't find that magazine Classic Rock. Could you summarize what they said about musicians using downers? Thanks, if you have the time.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2007 :  14:19:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..read that Keith et al maybe won't be playing again?..guess y'all be seeing him more now at Boots the chemist, eh?....
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2007 :  16:36:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here in the UK there is a very popular TV show called 'Have I Got News For You'- it is a comical and satirical take on the week's events. Some years ago a photograph appeared on the screen showing six men shouldering a huge industrial syringe. The programme's caption - "Concern mounts at the increasing scale of Keith Richards' drugs habit." - elicited roars of laughter.

Edited by - John9 on 30/08/2007 16:38:36
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2007 :  16:54:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...thx...he's a character..says he wants to live to 150...we won't be missing him soon!...
Go to Top of Page

Alone Again
Fourth Love

Ireland
188 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2007 :  19:28:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by barbinberkeley

Oh, he's been lookin like that fer years. what's really fun is to listen to him talk. Check out Weird Al Yankovics interview with Keith Richards on Google Video.

Didnt buy it myself i just had a flick through it.they have 50 drug stories from different books.theres also a few feature articles about artist and the different drugs that each took like Motley Crue-Heroin,Fleetwood Mac-Cocaine,Procol Harum-Psychedilia,Pink Floyd-LSD & AC/DC-Booze.dont know how much detail it went into about their addictions and why but it did seem like a good read.
Dont know if that issue is available in the US maybe in the next week or 2 as its only just out here now.

Edited by - Alone Again on 30/08/2007 19:30:46
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page