Page: of 2

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2008 :  00:14:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdion11

KD: "Hey Harvey - that is also the site where Jimi Hendrix first burned his guitar - on the advice of PR / Press dude Keith Altham !
That of course was on the "legendary" 1967 UK tour with Cat Stevens, The Walker Brothers and Engelbert Humberdink ! Jimi must have blown those idiots easily off the stage that night !
Free the fires !"
[/quote]

Cat Stevens an idiot? Try listening, in addition to his great early singles, to the albums 'Mona Bone Jakon', 'Tea For The Tillerman' and 'Teaser and the Firecat'. And don't forget the message of peace which, as Yusuf Islam, he conveys in his performances to this day ... following the events in Pakistan this last week, the World could certainly do with some of that.

Edited by - John9 on 03/01/2008 09:43:16
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  00:46:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

quote:

KD: "Hey Harvey - that is also the site where Jimi Hendrix first burned his guitar - on the advice of PR / Press dude Keith Altham !
That of course was on the "legendary" 1967 UK tour with Cat Stevens, The Walker Brothers and Engelbert Humberdink ! Jimi must have blown those idiots easily off the stage that night !
Free the fires !"

Cat Stevens an idiot? Try listening, in addition to his great early singles, to the albums 'Mona Bone Jakon', 'Tea For The Tillerman' and 'Teaser and the Firecat'. And don't forget the message of peace which, as Yusuf Islam, he conveys in his performances to this day ... following the events in Pakistan this last week, the World could certainly do with some of that.
[/quote]

KD: Yep ! Cat Stevens an idiot ! Isn't he on the State Dept list
of international terror supporters ? I belive he is, based on his
"idiotic" calls for the assasination of Rushdie. Always hated his
soft rock "idiotic" song writing and whimpy "idiotic" albums too.

Free the cats !

Edited by - kdion11 on 04/01/2008 00:47:44
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  10:00:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh well, if the State Department have got him down as a supporter of international terror.......then I suppose he must be.........I mean, how could they be wrong? I do not deny that that Yusuf Islam made in 1989, some very nieve and ill advised comments about the implications of his new found faith in respect of Salman Rushdie - I found myself in profound disagreement with him over that. But if you look at his much more mature remarks to 'Rolling Stone' in 2000, he does set it all in a broader context - and also points to the dilemmas that many christians would face if they were to examine some of the teachings in the Old Testament closely enough. Some, including Rushdie himself have accused Yusuf of trying to rewrite his own history with the benefit of hindsight. I would have some sympathy with that view. But I do not believe that this makes him a supporter of terrorism. He closed his 2006 London concert with the words "Let's all get on the Peace Train". God knows in both our countries, we need to be mindful of the all too present threat of terrorism. But if we start casting people like Yusuf Islam as potential terrorists then we will end up being frightened of our own shadows - just as happened in Arthur Miller's 'The Crucible'.

As for 'soft rock'......I always thought that our own Arthur Lee was rather good at that. Just as there is room enough in his magnificent legacy for 'Listen To My Song' alongside 'Stand Out', so popular music as a whole can easily accomodate Cat Stevens alongside Jimi Hendrix. And, in London during the late 60s......weren't the two men friends?

Yes certainly - let's do some freeing. Let's try to free the World from base prejudice! And let people be free to enjoy their own choice in music without it being insulted.

Edited by - John9 on 04/01/2008 13:36:47
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  23:31:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Oh well, if the State Department have got him down as a supporter of international terror.......then I suppose he must be.........I mean, how could they be wrong?

Yes certainly - let's do some freeing. Let's try to free the World from base prejudice! And let people be free to enjoy their own choice in music without it being insulted.

KD: I hear you John - no biggie, I just have never liked
his music - just opinions that's all.

Free the opinions !
Go to Top of Page

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  01:27:39  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ok you guys all I know about Cat Stevens is what his producer Paul Samwell Smith ex Yardbirds told me when I worked for reformed Yardbirds many years later, he said there was an awful lot of totally clearing a studio that was costing an awful of money to use and turning all the lights out and just sitting in the studio chanting. Everybody just bogged off to the canteen and let Cat get on with it.
Dont mention Keith Altham. Ok here comes a rock biz story. In early eighties I was working with some bands at Dingwalls, Camden Lock one night and after the gig there were three yanks dressed like teddy boys with big quiffs standing outside and they had just got off the plane/boat from america and were looking for another band that should have been playing that night. Tenpole tudor or someone. The band were supposed to be helping them with accomodation etc. I asked what sort of music they were playing and they said that they were doing a rockabilly act. They said they had played Waxy Maxies Club in America a few nights ago and I had heard of that so thought they must be at least reasonable. So I offered to rent them all my P.A. gear etc and they took my number. I could not offer accomodation which is what they were looking for and I was thinking "Rockabilly!!! in England ...Dead as a proverbial. Dont get involved." Anyway eventually a nice young lady appeared who had overheard what was going on and she said she worked in the office at Keith Althams and she thought she could find them some short term accomodation. So they all disappeared with her and we carried on putting the equipment in the truck. Biiiiig Mishtake. What is the headlines in Melody Maker and NME a couple of months later. THE STRAY CATS. Setzer is up there for awards for his looks and his guitar playing etc etc. OOOPs....Rockabilly dead huh.... and so they go on to a very successful career. Only downside is that after a few months of success the drummer Slim Jim ended up bonking Britt Eklund. Then they sort of disappeared off the radar as probably all got so much dosh they did not need to work again. So remember folks if you get approached by a bunch of people playing a type of music you think has been dead for years, take a bit of notice and you might end up bonking Britt Eklund.
Ok so none of that had anything to do with Arthur except he did play Dingwalls on the 1974 tour and got punched by a fan for his troubles a few minutes after the colour photos on this site were taken. Maybe he should have b.....ked Britt Eklund. Maybe he had and that is why the fan was annoyed....Law suit anybody...
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  07:43:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

KD: I hear you John - no biggie, I just have never liked
his music - just opinions that's all.

Free the opinions !

Thanks Kdion - sorry if I went on a bit.

Edited by - John9 on 05/01/2008 07:43:29
Go to Top of Page

ed the bear
Fourth Love

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  02:08:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
if we start casting people like Yusuf Islam as potential terrorists

They're locking them up today,
they're throwing away the key,
I wonder who it'll be tomorrow,
you or me!

Now who said that?
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  04:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by harvey

... So remember folks if you get approached by a bunch of people playing a type of music you think has been dead for years, take a bit of notice and you might end up bonking Britt Eklund.

That was a great story, thanks for that!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page