Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

myoungish
Fifth Love

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2007 :  07:03:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got a new 4-DVD 40th Anniversary Edition of the Monterey Pop Festival. I couldn't help but wonder...what if? First of all, we would have a beautifully shot concert of our favorite band in their absolute prime. Can you imagine them coming on after..say...Otis Redding? Or right before Hendrix? Blowing people's minds with Maybe The People and Alone Again Or and 7 And 7 Is?

The mind boggles wondering just how different Love's history would be if they had made that short pilgrimage. Supposedly one of the reasons they were weary of going is because they'd be too far from their dealer. Somehow I have a feeling they could have scored anything they desired up in Monterey in the summer of '67. Ah, bless 'em, they wouldn't be the Love we love if they had made "smart" career moves....

Michael Young

Arnstein
Fifth Love

Norway
340 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2007 :  13:42:01  Show Profile  Click to see Arnstein's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Damn, I would LOVE to see a concert of Love from 1967! Unfortunately that will probably never happen :/

Love would have gotten MUCH more popular if they played on the Monterey Pop Festival!
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2007 :  18:54:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by myoungish

The mind boggles wondering just how different Love's history would be if they had made that short pilgrimage. Supposedly one of the reasons they were weary of going is because they'd be too far from their dealer. Somehow I have a feeling they could have scored anything they desired up in Monterey in the summer of '67. Ah, bless 'em, they wouldn't be the Love we love if they had made "smart" career moves....

Michael Young

KD: Hey Mike - I heard that Arthur refused to play to "get back" at producer Lou Adler. To quote Bryan Maclean many years later "Yes, Arthur we sure got him didn't we?" But just like refusing to do the Ed Sullivan Show and The Miami Pop Festival, another great example of Arthur's career suicide projection.

Free the quotes !
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2007 :  00:24:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I just wonder whether Arthur's reluctance to perform in the way that other bands did at that time were part of the same trait in personality that enabled him to come up with a work like 'Forever Changes'.
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2007 :  04:44:20  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
John9, i like your premise that maybe if LOVE had played and toured like their other big rock acts, we wouldn't have what we have , now, maybe not even this here website. the Butterfly Effect! a back to theFUTURE PREMISE, if we could change the past, how would it effect us now. indeed, JEEZE, i want to have Arthur and LOVE at MONTERey FESTIVAL! and big national tours in the 60s. i'm glad all over i got to see them in the 60s in Hollywood. if we can download my brain onto dvd, we'de have an awesome event! but Arthur Lee remains in our collective consciousness as personal magic beyond any words. " Forever Changes" changed me from the day it was first released and still remains as my own personal
transport to much better times.

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

TJSAbass
Fourth Love

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2007 :  23:20:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If as they say, "familiarity breeds contempt", maybe this is a case of the reverse also being true? Look at The Doors, a band I absolutely idolized during my college years, but now I rarely listen to, I just got burned out on them, heard everything too many times, all over the radio, etc. BUT, they were a conduit to my discovery of Love. I tend to agree with the theory of Arthur's reclusiveness being both a curse (not playing Monterey) and a blessing (writing F.C.). Would we still love them as much if they HAD been played on radio like The Doors? That's a tough question for me!
Question: does the new Monterey Pop set include the Byrds and Buffalo Springfield sets?
Go to Top of Page

myoungish
Fifth Love

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2007 :  02:19:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, its got The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, and even Quicksilver Messenger Service! Also, longer performances from Jimi and The Who and Simon and Garfunkel, etc. Alot of TLC put into this baby. (It's put out by Criterion, who always do a stellar job.)

Michael Young
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2007 :  04:36:38  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow! i'm startled and joyed by hearing that the Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, and Quicksilver M.S. finally included in the new dvd package, after all these years. good news is what i needed today, thanx!

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2007 :  11:11:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

And don't forget the excellent set from the Airplane - possibly their best ever - and recently rereleased in its entirity on the Belgian label, Music Avenue.
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2007 :  12:54:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point TJSA....if LOVE had gone the Doors route, would we be loving them so much today?. The fact that Love didn,t do all the party tricks that Morrison + co. did made them the cult band they became, wether that was down to Arthur being reclusive, drug problems within the band or whatever dosent really matter, it made LOVE what they were and allways will be...the best kept secret in Psychedelia. I too loved the Doors at one point and now hardly ever play them, whereas LOVE and Spirit are allways on my system...great songs like Stairway To Heaven by Led Zep + Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd have become almost unlistenable through over exposure. 7+7 IS and Alone Again , along with all the other Love sings i can still Listen to and enjoy. Personaly i,m glad Arthur Lee + Love never got eaten up by the industry...........
I still have people visit who have never heard of Love or 13th. Floor Elevators, and are Blown away when they hear them. IN 2007!!
Go to Top of Page

TJSAbass
Fourth Love

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2007 :  02:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allan, I still can't believe that revisionism hasn't hit radio, in that the "forbidden" bands of the past, Velvets/Love/Stooges etc, are STILL not played on the radio! (Although the other night Alice Cooper did play "Rock & Roll" by the Velvet Underground on his show.)But still, the media types control what artists are thought of as the hitmakers of the times. Witness R.S. "Summer of Love" issue, VERY-slanted-toward-the-SF-scene-but-what-else-is-new. Maybe now with satellite radio and the internet, that will finally change. It has always seemed so unfair that superior art was banished because the artist didn't kiss the right ass or play the game.
Thinking about Love at Monterey, from reading Pegasus Carousel, the band would have still been too out of it at that time to play well anyway, similar to the other Strip heroes, Byrds and Springfield. I can't wait to read Domenic Priore's new book for more info on the Strip scene's heyday.
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2007 :  17:11:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ALLANAGAIN...

I've recently made friends with a young man (actually-he's my classmate in school. I'm 59, he's 25, and we're in school to become Nurses)

He's is in a local band back here named Mezzrow. Actually, you can have a listen on Napster . He's the drummer.

Real nice guy. So I turned him onto LOVE and the Elevators, thru my loaning of my CD's to him. He was totally blown away. The only tune he had ever heard before was 'Alone Again Or'. This is fun for me...turning a younger generation onto my music.

I've now given him some Rory Gallagher and Roxy Music for a listen. His comments "Yes-I've heard of Roxy Music and always wanted to hear them. Who's Rory Gallagher? All I can say is

Allan

Go to Top of Page

MHM
Third Love

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2007 :  15:29:53  Show Profile  Visit MHM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm with Kdion, what possible harm would playing at the festival have done!??! We would have some great footage, they MIGHT be better known but not for definite, there were other bands that have faded that played there and were in the original film, Country Joe, Hugh Masekela, Buffalo Springfield, Jefferson Airplane etc. All great by the way. Hendrix dedicated Hey Joe to Love & The Leaves, they just should've been there.

www.BryanMacLean.com www.Mandrakes.org www.MileHighMusic.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

TJSAbass
Fourth Love

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2007 :  05:36:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't get me wrong, I would gladly take anything I could get of the first Love lineup. I WISH they had played Monterey. I just wonder if they would have done themselves any good career-wise to play a half-baked set. It didn't seem to help the Byrds or Buffalo Springfield's careers. Maybe if they knew they were playing, it would have been a motivation to get it together, like the FC sessions became. That is very cool that Hendrix dedicated "Hey Joe" to them, I never caught that!
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2007 :  18:53:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TJSAbass

That is very cool that Hendrix dedicated "Hey Joe" to them, I never caught that!

KD: Never heard of that one - it sure didn't make the finished
master releases - which now have appeared on several albums - or
the bootlegs for that matter.

Free the quotes !
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2007 :  21:44:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of the Doors and Love from what was previously posted about them...

You know both groups have been in the rock psyche for a long time. Of course, the Doors can be said to have hit "stardom" with what all that entails. But, in any case, their work together with Love's music are "timeless" in a sense...I mean we're not talking Ohio Express type stuff you know..which can 'gum' up yer works.....Morrison and Arthur were two powerful personalities making music..they scrambled alot of eggs between the two of 'em and we is partakin' with the great riffs... ...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page