New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alone Again
Fourth Love

Ireland
188 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2007 :  13:26:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If anyone is interested there is a 12 page spread about the summer of love in San Francisco in the Observer Music Monthly today.contributors include Country Joe,Bob Weir of Grateful Dead, Gary Duncan of Quicksilver Messenger Service,Paul Kanter of Jefferson Airplane & John Kay of Steppenwolf among other hippies.
Havnt gotten around to reading it yet but it looks good.

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2007 :  17:00:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's online but you need to register at the site which is free:
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/omm/story/0,,2080202,00.html (Part One with link to Part Two)
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2007 :  14:29:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Summer of Love..'67..read a piece here where it was noted that there was some conflict between SF and LA bands at the time where the SF bands thought that LA was too "commerical" in its attitude to music-making..appears the SF bands thought they had the "heart & soul"....this was to have come out in the setting up of the Montery Festival...wonder how Arthur and the band related to that one...
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2007 :  17:32:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed those Observer interviews...."flower-power"....something happened back there to make things go off the rails...
Rolling Stone is supposed to do something as well in one of their upcoming issues too in the SOL '67...
Go to Top of Page

Cal Jam
Fourth Love

220 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2007 :  22:52:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers! Just saved the magazine from going in the recycle bin after seeing this thread. I gotta look more closely next time!

A very long article. Looking forward to getting stuck in. The Ozzy Osbourne piece should be good as well.
Go to Top of Page

Alone Again
Fourth Love

Ireland
188 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2007 :  16:42:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its a very interesting piece i like the way most of them did not glamourise or sensationalise the whole thing.look forward to reading the ozzy article 2.
I get the magizine every month its usually a good read.they had a 1 page piece on Syd Barrett and Arthur Lee couple of months ago although most of the article was dedicated to Syd with the last paragraph on Arthur.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page