Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General discussions about music
 Live Music Treasure Trove: Feat, Dead, Starship..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  03:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny what you can find on the net when you start browsing..
Right now I'm hooked on a song that I hadn't played in years - 'Willin'' by Little Feat. Out of whimsy I entered it into Google, which, when scrolling down, gave me a link to an apparently amazing free to download gig - 'Little Feat Live At Ultra Sound Studios 1973-04-10', on a website that I had never heard of: www.archive.org
Perhaps I'm the last person not to. When I went to the website, I found that it was the home of the Internet Archive, based on the West Coast of the States, which it turns out has been running for ten years, and is in effect a free to use digital counterpart of the National Library of Congress, with Moving Image, Audio and Text archives.. and a Live Music one! 37000+ gigs. Browsing the artists therein has left me open mouthed. There's a lot of gigs by groups of more recent origin, including bands that are my current faves, Low, Explosions In The Sky, Mogwai, Hem, My Mornng Jacket, Godspeed..and, as well, lots by some of rocks elder statesmen - well, those that seem to be more public spirited, snyway - or at least their estates are. There are lots of gigs by those that have left us, eg. Zevon and Cipollina. No Love. Something that MUST be corrected. Newguy? Anyway, if this is news to anyone, then browse and be amazed. The punchline is that, as I only have an internet TV I can't access this stuff myself. Not for long. This clinches it. Oh yeah...number of Dead gigs.....2872!!! That does'nt include the offshoots. Er, somehow I think that the Internet Archive is based in SF...

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  22:46:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you've found the archive, but you're a bit late for the best Dead stuff as they pulled the soundboards a while back. A little hint: get yourself a good download manager - the servers are usually really fast so you can get shows in flac and shn format very easily and quickly that way. I use Download Accelerator via IE - only time I don't use Firefox. Be careful of downloading big zips though - I have had a few problems with corrupt files which fail the verification.

If you're new to the formats and need help, pm me and I'll walk you through it.

Oh, and by the way, best version of Willin' is IMHO by Seatrain. I have some great live versions of it as well as the official album cut. Lowell George may have written it and Linda Ronstadt had the hit, but Seatrain made it their own.
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  02:41:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info, Boombox. Had forgot Seatrain, and didn't know they'd covered 'Willin''. If it beats the Feat's second version then it must be very, very good. I've been transfixed by the the digitally remastered version found on the Feat's 'Best Of'. On 'phones it's a real treat for the ears, and why it was a Peel favourite is all too clear. Cheers. Mike.
PS - hadn't realised till reading the Archive reviews that the Feat were still soldiering on without Lowell, and in fine form. Time was when they were regarded as the world's best rhythm section, along with the Wailers. Reckon if they were put on a stage at Glastonbury they'd cause a few young jaws to drop.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page