Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jellybean
Fifth Love

316 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2007 :  00:11:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a letter today saying donovans uk tour has been cancelled, quite disappointed, anyone know whats up with him??

John E
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2007 :  12:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jellybean,
I Like Donovan's music and most of what he stands for, but I can't help but wonder if his ego didn't get a little over-inflated this time. I mean, let's face it - Donovan 2007 just ain't gonna fill venues such as the Royal Albert Hall! I read Donovan's autobiography last year, and was quite astounded. He claims to have more or less influenced everything that happened in the Sixties - from from folk rock through raga rock to heavy metal (in that he introduced some members of Led Zepellin). He even claims to have taught the Beatles the chords that they used in some of their most well-known songs! I saw Donovan at the Jazz Cafe last year (a much more appropriate venue)
and he was good, but I was quite shocked that he was charging an extra £10 for autographed CDs. Beatniks out to make it rich, huh?!
All the best, John E
Go to Top of Page

John E
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2007 :  12:23:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, I notice that Dylan has announced a second Wembley Arena date on the day that Donovan was scheduled to play the Royal Albert Hall! Perhaps Donovan should have asked Dylan to support him?
Go to Top of Page

jellybean
Fifth Love

316 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2007 :  16:43:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought the same thing about that book, he was a bit up his own arse. can't deny liking his music though, I had a look on his site and it said

Donovan Says..
I am sorry to say The UK Spring Tour is now cancelled.
I am in good health
There are no plans to re-book it soon.
My new album will not be ready for the Spring release.
Watch this space and in a few weeks I will open the site again.

hhmmmm
Go to Top of Page

The sweet disorder
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2007 :  18:52:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John E,

I have read somewhere that he helped out on part of the lyrics for Yellow Submarine and he taught Lennon to fingerpick in India (Julia being a prime example of a Donovan trait - little pinky of the top E) however he did let his daughter marry Shaun Ryder so clearly he is the ultimate hippy in advocating peace and love way beyond normal duty.

cheers

Ian
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2007 :  18:59:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John E.....wonder what ole Petey (Seeger) would feel about Donovan's book...and work!!!
Go to Top of Page

John E
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2007 :  21:24:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lee,
I don't think anyone's trashing Donovan, here. I like him enough to have bought all his recent re-masters, and have been to his two most recent London concerts. However, his autobiography (although largely
enjoyable) is laughable in its exaggeration, and I maintain that charging fans £10 for an autograph is out of order! That said, Donovan has probably not had the recognition he deserves. It's true that parts of the "Mellow Yellow" album most likely had an influence
on Nick Drake's work (yet ironically Donovan doesn't mention this.
All the best, John E
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2007 :  22:27:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting...I remember liking Donovan's songs when he first came out though as the years went on for some reason I didn't listen as much..maybe I outgrew the flower-power stuff???...I'd be curious though to know how his fellow musicians feel about him...did and do they respect his work and and as an individual?
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2007 :  19:35:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LeeRob

I wonder if the kids have heard Sunshine Superman?

Sunshine Superman is a fanTAStic album(I won't attempt to say I qualify as a kid, but I've loved it since I was 17---25 years). Only recently was it revealed to me that Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones are on that album, and wasn't it recorded in like '64-65 but not released til much later? It's a very psychedelic record WAY ahead of its time when you consider that.
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2007 :  20:36:20  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by astrolobe33

quote:
Originally posted by LeeRob

I wonder if the kids have heard Sunshine Superman?

Sunshine Superman is a fanTAStic album(I won't attempt to say I qualify as a kid, but I've loved it since I was 17---25 years). Only recently was it revealed to me that Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones are on that album, and wasn't it recorded in like '64-65 but not released til much later? It's a very psychedelic record WAY ahead of its time when you consider that.

Yeh its a really decent album.....at 23 do i count as a kid?

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

jellybean
Fifth Love

316 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2007 :  20:57:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes it's a fab album (sorry, just got back from liverpool) sunshine superman was way ahead of its time. I hope he does decide to set up another tour..i'll still book again.
apologies to anyone from the liverpool area, my friend lives just off penny lane and at 2am this morning it was me singing penny lane very loudly on the shelter in the middle of a roundabout
oh the shame
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2007 :  21:05:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some Donovan memories...

I thoroughly enjoyed early Donovan...his folk years. I especially like 'The Real Donovan' LP. When he started doing his flower-power thing, I used to call him my Acid king. Lots of trips to lots of his songs (I'm instantly humming Jennifer Juniper). Donovan came to Philly and performed at our famous Academy of Music (where the Orchestra performs). He was sitting on a beautiful Persian rug with lots of incense being burned around the perimeter of the carpet. Just him, his guitar, the rug, and the incense. I think everyone in the audience was tripping

Allan
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2007 :  23:26:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jellybean

apologies to anyone from the liverpool area, my friend lives just off penny lane and at 2am this morning it was me singing penny lane very loudly on the shelter in the middle of a roundabout
oh the shame

I suspect if anyone could pull it off 'twould be you j-bean
Go to Top of Page

jellybean
Fifth Love

316 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2007 :  10:21:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats nice of you to say so astro but the residents of penny lane prob beg to differ!
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2007 :  15:37:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey I'd bet they're singin' "You'll Never Walk Alone" over at P Lane after 'Pool knocked off Barca the other day!...
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2007 :  18:41:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some more Donovan memories, as Lee Rob says, he is a nice guy when you meet him, although i cant speak for his book as i havent read it.
I met"Don" through my freind Julian Jones (son of Brian) whose mum Linda is now partners with Don. He came to our local pub, on a rowday council estate, and there was no "im a big star" BS from him atall, we went back to a mates house, where he got drunk and stoned with the rest of us, and had a jam, i ended up singing "SEASON OF THE WITCH" with him, and we all had a good laugh and a good day and night.
He made sure ALL of us were on the guest list for the 30th aniversary
of Brian Jones,s detah ,at London,s shepherds bush empire, where he played along with Paul Jones(manfed man), Noel Readin, and many other fine musicians.
One of the good guys, long may he run.
LOVE
Allan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page