Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

TJSAbass
Fourth Love

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  22:27:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was anyone else disappointed in the Purple One's Super Bowl set? I am not a fan of his and didn't recognize most of what he played, but I thought SURELY at least a little tip o' the hat to Arthur Lee and James Brown could have been made. It wouldn't have killed him. With a venue like that, it would have been nice. Opportunity wasted. Maybe I just expect too much.

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  22:05:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't see it myself, but from what I've heard from another message board it was a good show.
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  03:30:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am not a Superbowl fan, but watched to see who had the Half time slot. Thought he did a very good set in the circumstances. Have never bought one of his records, and have found him irritating at times, but that set brought home the undeniable fact that, like it or not, he is a really superb guitarist, capable of giving even Jimi a run for his money. Impossible to hate the person who wrote 'Nothing Compares To U'.
Go to Top of Page

Merlyn Merlot
Fourth Love

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  05:44:09  Show Profile  Visit Merlyn Merlot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of the best Live Performances Ever #13;#10;watched by the 3rd Largest Television audience ever#13;#10;#13;#10; Hendrix and Dylan and a sreaeming Guitar solo In the Rain#13;#10; With purple Lights #13;#10;#13;#10; and the Marching band Spinning and orchestrating his songs #13;#10;#13;#10; What a Prince
Go to Top of Page

The sweet disorder
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  20:19:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why would Prince be tipping his hat to Arthur (or even James Brown for that matter). Much as I love Arthur I just don't see the link between him and Price. I'm surprised Prince was selected to do it as I was always under the impression that he wasn't that well thought of in the States. big fan base in the UK though and a truly astonishing guitarist
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  00:15:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-qlU46ODlg
Go to Top of Page

ZFarrar
Fourth Love

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  00:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prince likely never heard of Arthur Lee or Love. I find
it hilarious that someone thinks he's an astonishing guitarist,
he's a good one-but there are many better. Prince when compared
to most of the dreck that's out today sounds good, but that's where it stops. Pop music in the 80's was mostly embarrasing.
Go to Top of Page

TJSAbass
Fourth Love

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  08:15:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why tip his hat? The clothes, perhaps? Arthur is generally credited with introducing the hippie (or whatever ya wanna call it) look to pop, and Prince certainly likes his threads, as did Prince's idol Jimi Hendrix, who allegedly was also inspired by Arthur. Then there's the matter of Prince being a black man working in the white pop world, if you want to get picky about labels (I generally don't). Maybe Prince just wants us all to think HE invented it all. The James Brown thing, I just mentioned that as an afterthought. Whatever.
Go to Top of Page

watchinallthapeople
Fourth Love

155 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2007 :  03:34:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey oldman

what happenned to his guitar at the end of that clip? is that just an odd camera angle? am I twated (indeed i am so scrap that)? or did it fly off
how odd

I didn't see the super bowl (because basically its just rugby for fairies
I don't mean that in a homophobic kind of way, I know for a fact that lots of gay man are hard as nails etc etc
but basically NFL players are feckin pussies for wearing that quasi SM gear and I reckon a 1970's Wales rugby team
could absolutely nail any NFL team in the history of NFL whilst drinking gallons of brains bitter and doing a male voice choir style rendition of Shirley Bassey's funky ass version of the doors "light my fire")
so yeah the super bowl and prince
well whatever he did
unless it was sign of the times
which was one of the phattest tunes ever
It probably wasn't as good as seeing micheal jacksons nipple
Did he do sign of times?
**** that was a good tune
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2007 :  04:00:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAR!
...and cor blimey! (nod to Tina)

[oops! and to LizzyB]

Edited by - astrolobe33 on 13/02/2007 17:22:53
Go to Top of Page

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2007 :  08:07:02  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Cor strewth guvnor, wot a palaver..

Michael Jackson's nipple?? Must have missed that one...
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2007 :  14:12:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hmm..anybody know why Prince did the Foo Fighters song "Best of You"???.....
Go to Top of Page

The sweet disorder
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2007 :  23:09:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ahhhh Z Farrar you're back...now I find that hilarious
Go to Top of Page

tmittelstadt
Third Love

63 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2007 :  00:16:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought Prince was the best live act I've ever watched at the Superbowl. He is an incredible guitarist. Anyone that thinks otherwise is off their rocker. He may not be Yngwie, but I always consider that a good thing.

Prince may have covered the Foo Fighters because they do cover Purple Rain. Plus, Best of You is a great song.

As far as Pro Football being for pansies, I find that hilarious. Those guys are the best athlets in the world. No other sport has bigger, stronger, or faster athletes.
Go to Top of Page

The sweet disorder
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2007 :  16:36:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a common thing in the UK. Basically as Rugby League and Union players in the UK play a similar type of game with zero padding. American football is kind off laughed off as being soft due to the padding involved. Go any Rugby match in the UK and your basically watching legalised violence!!!
Go to Top of Page

jellybean
Fifth Love

316 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2007 :  18:21:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i could never quite get away with prince..he always seems a little too far up his own bottom for my liking. No doubting the guy can play and I have been known to shimmy around to rasberry beret and kiss in my time, but he's so damn serious.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page