New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ant
First Love

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2006 :  12:58:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
........is in my opinion the 3rd best Love album! Discuss.....

Amazing guitar work (is it Melvin Whittington??), which shows a unique flair and style. Arthurs vocals are as pure as theyve ever been. I love the opening line on 'Everlasting First'...."ever since the first day i laid eyes on you, you dont know how hard it is to let you go". Great opening line to start an album!

Gimi A Little Break is ace, and theres something about Arthurs spoken intro to Stand Out that gives it that cool edge, much better than the version on Out Here IMO. I rate Anytime, Feel Daddy Feel Good, and Ride That Vibration as unheralded classics. What do you guys think? And i love the bit at the end of Slick Dick where Arthur goes "let me get behind the wheel for a while"!!!....i love the guitar outro!!

ommadawn
First Love

8 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2006 :  00:57:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes this is a great LP I've enjoyed ever since the 70's.
The guitarist is Gary Rowles, except for 'The Everlasting First', which was Jimi Hendrix!
Go to Top of Page

Alone Again
Fourth Love

Ireland
188 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2006 :  01:31:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah i think it is very underrated.I heard that it was a terrible album but when i saw a it on vinyl 4 very little i had 2buy it &i think it is great.maybe its because i heard such bad reviews.
Go to Top of Page

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2006 :  04:09:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
completely agree! this is a very enjoyable album and Arthur's singing is especially powerful.
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2006 :  04:18:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ant, you know what, you're right! I hadn't given False Start a really good listen until now, and I see what you're saying. The sound is excellent, the band is amazing and Arthur is in prime form. Thanks for pointing that out about Arthur doing that killer guitar solo at the end of Slick Dick, I hadn't noticed it was him. And the solo in middle by Rowles is in orbit.
The Hendrix/Lee combination punch of Everlasting First is so cool it's surreal. I think part of the problem that ablum has, is that it's easy for a listener to expect too much after that first incredible track (and especially for anyone struck by the wonders in da Capo and FC). A lot of Arthur's songs after Forever Changes that were based off of "old music" styles I think come off as merely unoriginal to many, and attention drifts; but those songs do stand up, Arthur is all over them, tellin' it...
There's alot of great different things on False Start, it's totally solid straight through. I also agree with you that is the best version of Stand Out, one of his most salient and compelling tunes message-wise.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page