Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 Concerts
 What is the guitarist situation at the shows?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bigrubberglove
Fourth Love

188 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2004 :  16:10:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Mike does lead and Rusty does rhythm guitar is Echols playing just lead?

Are Mike and Echols acting as co-lead guitarists?

When Arthur plays guitar that means there would be FOUR guitarists playing at once. Is that right???

Sorry if the way I presented the questions was unclear, I am just trying to get a handle on the guitar logistics.

Thanks

Gill
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2004 :  16:11:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you answered that question, I was wondering that as well, let's hope someone answers it for us.

Love
Gill
Go to Top of Page

LarryNYC
Fifth Love

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2004 :  16:22:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fours guitars and a bass all hitting the 7&7 is riff in unison has got to be awesome, theatres will have to take out extra insurance to make sure the roof stays on lol.
Go to Top of Page

Stoneface
First Love

4 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2004 :  23:16:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not a guitarist but I'll try to describe the way things appeared to me Friday night in Chicago. Echols walked on stage as part of the band and was right up front for the opening "A House Is Not A Motel" taking the major part of the closing solo with Randle clashing in. Echols then spent the rest of the show doing one of three things:
1) Playing rhythm along with Rusty Squeezebox
2) Playing additional little fills and picking out notes/phrases/accents which would weave themselves into what Randle and Squeezebox were playing
3) Stepping up and playing distinct lead breaks in at least four or five songs.

Echols stood on stage next to Squeezebox and would only occasionally step back into the shadows next to the drums. He seemed very comfortable up there. I thought his playing was superb, and also amplified to a level equal that of Randle/Squeezebox. Echols appeared to be enjoying himself immensely - the band was red hot and the crowd was raging. Arthur introduced him last (or on top) during the band introduction section of Singing Cowboy - the crowd poured a lot of love on him. It was awesome to watch Arthur flanked by Randle and Echols - Randle can really shred when he wants to. I believe it was 4 guitars on Seven and Seven Is. Some real firepower.

It's pretty overwhelming just to be in a space with Arthur Lee once his music has worked its way into your sensibility. So some of my perceptions of the show are colored or enhanced by the kaliedescopic aspect of being up front and dancing/cheering/swooning/trying to watch all the cats in the band at the same time. Just being so swept up in it. By my account though, Echols was an equal part of the band Friday, not a guest.
Go to Top of Page

jazmaan
Fifth Love

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  06:23:43  Show Profile  Visit jazmaan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wish I could have been there for that Chicago show! Johnny only played on a couple of songs at the Wilshire Ebell. Johnny is great guy and I'm sure that being back as a full member of Love must be a very satisfying experience for both him and the audience. And I'm sure it helps keep things new and interesting for the rest of the band and Arthur too.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
First Love

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2004 :  18:04:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
4 Guitars can sound awesome. I saw Pulp a few years ago with Jarvis, Mark, Hawley and Steve going for it, each playing different parts from the album versions, not necessarily the guitar parts, and it sounded amazing. In a similar way I guess lots of LOVE songs lend themselves to this approach.
Go to Top of Page

Buck Mulligan
First Love

1 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2004 :  22:58:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was at the Chicago show and the description above is spot on. When Eccols walked out, I thought, "no way, it can't be"...but it was he! Do not miss the opportunity to see this band.
Go to Top of Page

jazmaan
Fifth Love

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2004 :  02:55:28  Show Profile  Visit jazmaan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe the band will play a homecoming show when they get back to L.A. -- Wouldn't be the first time!
Go to Top of Page

Susan B.
Third Love

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2004 :  01:36:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right after Christmas would be great. I have bought tickets for my friends and family as presents for the past 2 years and they love it. Joy to the World.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page