Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General discussions about music
 What do you think of the new "Beatles Love" album?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bobinbed
Fourth Love

Sweden
106 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2006 :  19:21:41  Show Profile  Visit Bobinbed's Homepage  Send Bobinbed a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Have you had a chance to listen to it yet? I got it the other day and have listened to it once. Not sure what I think of it yet... Any opinions?

- "What do you mean it's a literary high?"
- "It's a Kafka high. It makes you feel like a bug."

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2006 :  21:03:07  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ive heard 4 tracks off it and i kind of liked it. The version of 'while my guitar gently weeps' is great.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2006 :  01:09:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some may think that it is sacrilege ... but they're wrong. I was intrigued when I first heard about it a few months back, realising that, as George Martin was at the helm and that Paul and Ringo had approved of the result it would be at worst an honourable failure, but, in view of the quality of the contents, still well worth an open-minded listen. Having now done so, one word sums up my feelings: WOW.
This record is superb from start to finish, has to be listened to in one sitting. and is a totally absorbing and exhilarating 78 minute musical 'trip' .. no drugs required. Compiled over three years, its title reflects the spirit in which this obviously been done. As for the quality of the sound, at last some of the band's output has recieved the attention that is long overdue. The sound is absolutely superb. It is a revelation. There is so much more depth and expansiveness than I ever thought could be possibly teased out of master tapes that are well over thirty years old. After this, it is screamingly obvious that the rest of the albums demand to be remixed and brought into 21st Century sonic glory. It will be impossible for EMI to ignore this. Sadly, George Martin will not be the person responsible, as he has decided that this record will be his Beatles swansong due to a deterioration in his hearing. However, if his work on this album is anything to go by, then his son Giles is well up to the task. Hats off. I hope that he gets the chance.
This record should, and deserves to, gain the band a whole new younger audience. It is hard to imagine a finer sonic 'primer'. If anyone knows or is related to a young Beatles virgin, well, Christmas is coming..
OK, if what is written above sounds like the ravings of a diehard fan, then you're wrong. Confession time. At the age of fifty, with the exception of Lennon solo albums, I've never felt sufficiently moved to buy one of their records. This is my first Beatles album. I give in. It's wonderful.
Go to Top of Page

The sweet disorder
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2006 :  10:24:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

As a diehard Beatle fan, I was actually NOT looking forward to this album. When Anthology came out, I was really disapointed as I have always believed that the Beatles were avatars from another planet so I didn't want to hear them struggling through early takes of songs. The new album is fantastic and your right. Everything now needs to be remastered. it's a great sonic experience and does need to be listened to at one sitting. A fantasic achievement by George and his son.

Cheers

Ian

www.myspace.com/thesweetdisorder
Go to Top of Page

Bobinbed
Fourth Love

Sweden
106 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2006 :  20:38:57  Show Profile  Visit Bobinbed's Homepage  Send Bobinbed a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I think I agree with you guys. I was doubtful at first but now I really like it, it's a fascinating audio experience. Now, if only the Martins would stop playing around, and get on with remastering the whole Beatles Catalog.

For those who haven't yet heard it, You can listen to the whole thing online here: http://www.beatles.com/
You have to register, though, and put a pin on a Google World Map to show your location, before you can listen to the album.

- "What do you mean it's a literary high?"
- "It's a Kafka high. It makes you feel like a bug."

Edited by - Bobinbed on 26/11/2006 20:47:13
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2006 :  21:16:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bobinbed. Brilliant!
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2006 :  23:37:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having now done some more digging on the 'net, it seems that remixing of the bands albums may have already been started. Hope so, and that it's Martin Jr. in charge. The release of this record will create a huge demand for this, and the heirachy at EMI bound to be seeing pound note/dollar signs floating before their eyes..
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2006 :  15:04:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aftee the remarks now I'm real interested in hearing the album.
But really what is it that makes it so good? Bear with me but aren't the songs just re-packaged? Or are they "re-worked"? Is it the fact of the sound revelations? What is it? Re-dos are perilous at times but it seems this one seems to be on Beatlesphile lists.
MikeP..man I'm shocked , just shocked on that first Beatle album bought bit....;-)...you really must've went your own musical way all these years..;-)...
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2006 :  01:55:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Takes all sorts, Rocker. It's not a case of not previously appreciating them. I have, in the past, been surrounded by Beatles music via the records of friends, radio, etc., know the words, like/love/hum/sing the tunes.. they were omnipresent, commonplace. I've always been one for going off and quietly exploring musics' nooks and crannies, knowing that if I wanted to listen to some bands then all I had to do was knock on a door or turn a dial. I only got my first Beach Boys record in the last two years, have never bought a Who one, and only have one Stones one, which I haven't played for ten years., not deliberate 'cussedness', just found other things that floated my boat more, that were just 'different'. I guess John Peel's mainly to blame for my approach. Second thoughts, 'blame' is definitely NOT the right word, other than in a droll sense. For all my record buying, which has gone into four figures, I know that there's tons of music that I would love if I heard it, but never will.
As for the 'Love Album', why you should buy it, and why I did, well, all I can aay is that I have never heard their music sound so fresh, vibrant, exhilarating as it now does. There's technology now that was not available then, which Martin has been granted the oppportunity to use in his twilight years, and perhaps for the first time achieve what he wanted to do, but knew not how. Also, it has dawned on many, myself included, that mixes that EMI approved at the time did not necessarily do justice to the band's musicianship, and went for the commercial, 'safe' approach. Shackles that people did not necessarily know were there have been loosened, if not totally removed - it must be conceded that the record company will still be out to make their money from this record - and this, along with the audio equipment now available to listeners has lead to a piece of work that in my opinion is simply overwhelming. One day all Beatles records will sound this good. Finding out how good is only a few bucks away. It's not worth the angst, as there are sadly other things in this world far more worth getting upset about. Just open your wallet and take your mind off them for a while. This record's made for it.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2006 :  14:54:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The cd will be in my library soon...Just a point...Everybody knows about the ipod and how it's changed music and listening habits. But I find that it's kind of ironic that with all the new recording technology coming out as you noted that people are now doing their listening on a little piece of metal and through earbuds. I'd just wonder if the ipod will move people away from their older music listening systems and how well it will make listeners appreciate the musicianship behind the overall music.
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2006 :  22:38:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should have said 'home' audio equipment. I dont have an I-pod myself, but I'm prepared to bet that a lot of the listening done with them is only half-listening as a distraction from or antidote to mundane activities. Some music is suited to this, other stuff not. I don't think that I'd get the maximium benefit from 'Love' like that, and think that it's a record to get totally absorbed in via a good home system - it deserves it, and full attention. Having said that, I'm curious to find out what it's like as a 'driving' record. There's a 5:1 Surround Sound version, which must be amazing.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2006 :  14:37:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So will there be Beatle remasters? I guess it would be like how the the Stones did it right? I picked up High Tide and Green Grass remastered and was just absolutely floored by the new "notes" I heard. Never knew there was a piano on "Satisfaction". If there will be Beatle remasters would love to "re-hear" the harmony in "I Feel Fine". For me, the Beatles since the 60's are always sounding new to me when they keep putting out their newer sonically updated albums. I just note things I never heard before in all my earlier times of listening. In that way the songs are so different.
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2006 :  03:19:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I said a few posts back, it seems that Beatles remastering has already started.
I think that fresh remastering of music in general is a HUGELY important issue, and is a major bugbear of mine. A lot of our favourites have still only been remastered once from the analog master tapes, perhaps fifteen years ormore ago. These tapes start to decay after about thirty years even if kept in good storage conditions. Unless they are digitally redone again soon, there will be some very important records or recording sessions that will never yield up the full glory of their content in they way that these Beatles recordings have.. and there's always going to be the human factor. Not everyone in charge of this process will be a Martin.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2006 :  16:23:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well as the kid Martin says..."a really good band recorded by a really good producer"...
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  15:36:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
got it...awesome...after all the times I listened to "I Want to Hold Your Hand"...what a mix of musical energeeeee.....that explains what all the fuss was about at the time and that keeps up to this day and really for the next hundreds of years....creative geniuses that put it all together...all you need is love...
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  23:30:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I played it to my young daughters without having ever said anything about the Beatles previously, and without any cajoling to listen. They really loved it. I guess it's easier to be objective about some music when you're free of the 'historical baggage'. Reading reviews on Amazon, it's made some long-time fans soooo het up.. the fact that it was George's idea originally has somehow passed them by.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page