Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2006 :  19:10:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just getting ready to go to Cardiff for show two of my mini J-tour. Word on Amstedam was that it was a good show, as was Brighton. However, all seem to agree last night was the best so far - monitor problems, Slick & Paul's amps both died, Slick broke a string, there was a drunken heckler shouting for "Blows", who wouldn't shut up even akfter PK and Diana said they were about to do it, but it was a fantastic show. Good to see Marty back over here (great St Charles and incendiary Rocketlauncher), David and Diana in fine voice as ever and Slick, well, I run out of superlatives - he absolutely owned Hearts - sorry, Marty. And the Baron? Well, PK is PK!

Stand-in drummer, Tony Morley is also doing a fine job, learning the material as he goes.

My only regret is that I was too close with my camera, so though it looks good, sound is terribly distorted - will have to sync it up with someone's DAT.
Go to Top of Page

jellybean
Fifth Love

316 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2006 :  20:18:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
glad you had a good time boombox, i'm leaving sun morning for the dingwalls show on monday night. I'm a bit miffed that the COG ticket holders in states get a soundcheck and get in early, apparently we go in at same time as everyone else and get a quick chat if the q's are not too big, wondering what I paid the extra money for!!
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2006 :  02:44:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeowch! It gets better and better - a tad under three hours tonight and only one broken string to fix, so little dead time. Tonight's setlist:

Other side of this life, wooden ships, count on me, triad, get together, young girl sunday blues, good shepherd, white rabbit, sketches of china, miracles, only one you, rocket launcher, hearts, while my guitar gently weeps (Slick instrumental - nuff said!), girl in the wood, sunrise-have u seen the stars tonite-xm-starship, harp tree lament, its only music, loser, pride of man, when the earth moves again, fast buck freddie, jane, hyperdrive, crown of creation, volunteers, encores: she has funny cars, somebody to love

In reality, this meant only 15 out of the twenty-eight songs played tonight were also played yesterday and those that were repeated were the "hits" [or would be in a perfect world ;-)], many of which were in David and Marty's solo spots. Name any new band that could do that!! Heard this one as I was going back to retrieve my camera: "That's the show of the year." If a comment like that from someone who had just gone along to check out the band (ie not one of the maniac fanbase)is not enough to persuade any doubters the band are worth going to see, what is?

Enjoy the show on Monday, jellybean - wish I could make that one and the last one at Milton Keynes. Am hoping Market H and Wolves will be just as good. And don't be put off by the queues at the meet & greet - PK, Marty and DF stayed till the only people really left were the touring crew.

And think of those CDs you will be getting!!

Edited by - boombox on 24/11/2006 02:53:27
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2006 :  00:30:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I posted this on A-deck, but you guys need to know what you missed:

It was a damn fine show and I have to agree with jelly, it was the best so far. Pillow was certainly interesting - no-one could have guessed Michael and Snorky would come out to play Journey - and My Best Friend? Relaxed to say the least. What next year? Tollbooth?

Soooooo glad I was able to make it after all - no Harp Tree from DF tonight, but it would have been difficult to surpass the achingly beautiful version at Wolverhampton. However, DF's set should surely tell all there is a big market for QMS in the UK. Chris finally got a chance to really let rip with a two handed piano solo too.

Slick celebrated two shows in a row without breaking a string, which is surprising the way he shredded the last two nights. Paul and Marty looked like they were enjoying themselves - hope it means the latter will be tempted to return next year!! And as for Diana, always a fantastic performer, the WR with special guest got the crowd ready for the finale, culminating in another wonderful jam in TOSOTL - big ups to Tony for his drumming on this, indeed on the whole tour.

jellybean, you must have been just in front of me - i was just behind the guy with the pony tail and glasses, and shooting with a video camera. Hope you managed to meet the guys afterwards and signed up for the discs OK - if not, let me know as I need to contact the band's manager about getting an address to send Tony a DVD ov wolves, where Diana had his granddaughters out on stage dancing.
Go to Top of Page

jellybean
Fifth Love

316 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2006 :  18:35:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi boombox, yes it was a great show but a little miffed about the COG thing, I only got to meet paul, I dont think marty even came out at the end so I was very disappointed about that. I did put my name down for the cd so hopefully it should turn up!
I think i was standing next a guy with a vid camera but didn't stay down the front for too long, maybe it was you!
JB
Go to Top of Page

Alone Again
Fourth Love

Ireland
188 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2006 :  18:51:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn it i wish they were commin 2ireland.ive been waitin 4ever 4jefferson airplane of any incarnation to play here but just never materialises.
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2006 :  21:06:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will be interesting to see how long the COG discs take - they have been known to take three or four months.

Sad you only met Paul - I stayed only very, very briefly, saw PK, Diana and DF, but only spoke to Chris and Tony. True, I don't remember seeing Marty either.

Oh well, till next year - hopefully with Quicksilver too. Come what may, I have already decided I am doing all of it then!!
Go to Top of Page

jellybean
Fifth Love

316 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  17:52:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm having aftershow JS/A withdrawals, I wanna go again!!
do you have a video of the show boombox?
Go to Top of Page

countmorrelli
First Love

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2007 :  19:22:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikeb

I remember that some forum members were planning to attend some Jefferson Starship dates in the UK earlier this year which were cancelled. Some new dates have just been announced, UK ones are London(2), Cardiff, Leicester, Brighton, Milton Keynes, Wolverhampton, full details at the link below. The "COG" tickets for the two London dates stand for Circle of Gold where, for an additional fee, you can attend the soundcheck, meet and greet with the band and be mailed a soundboard copy of the show.

The two London shows are booking on Ticketweb, first one is listed as Blows Against the Empire as in the message on the board, second is listed as Surrealistic Pillow.

As said before Marty Balin has not been doing many dates with the band
lately so may well be David Freiburg who takes his place as he did last time they toured Europe.

Tour details (click on the ADeck II link on the left hand side, scroll to message 164):
http://www.planetearthrockandrollradio.com/adeck2/

Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2007 :  01:03:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jellybean

i'm having aftershow JS/A withdrawals, I wanna go again!!
do you have a video of the show boombox?

Don't know how I missed this when you posted, but yes, I have video. Flawed unfortunately as my tag team videoing buddy acidentally turned off the camera during Rocket Launcher and I only noticed halfway through Hearts.

Haven't done anything with the show yet as, like all 5 shows I filmed, JS played just too damn loud and the sound is distorted. Am waiting on an audience DAT/MD recording to sync up with it.

You are right, it was a bloody excellent show. Hope they announce tour dates for the summer soon.
Go to Top of Page

jellybean
Fifth Love

316 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2007 :  16:56:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeh me too, i keep checking but no european dates as of yet..you think it will more sept/oct time?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page