Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2006 :  11:21:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
October issue just dropped through my letterbox. It has 8 pages, expanded version of the Memphis Flyer feature by Andrea Lisle, interview with Rusty Squeezebox and highlights of Arthur's last interview from the forthcoming Love Story documentary. Last paragraph:

Arthur Lee, a complicated man, is gone. What's left is the music of Love. "I'm the last man standing now," says Johnny Echols. "I have to carry on - there's a lot of work left to be done. People still want to hear this music. In one form or another, it will continue."

Love Story premieres at the London Film Festival in October, the programme times will be released September 14th, their website is:
http://www.lff.org.uk/

Further there are tributes to Arthur now on the Mojo website from Robert Plant, Bobby Gillespie, Norman Blake of Teeenage Fan Club and Alan Ounsworth of Clap Your Hands, scroll down the What Goes On section to August 16th:
http://www.mojo4music.com/

myoungish
Fifth Love

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2006 :  19:04:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is Arthur on the cover? Mojo's a great mag...and I think Arthur defines what they're all about. He deserves one cover.

Michael Young
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2006 :  14:33:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I liked reading the tributes and comments in Mojo.Thanks. I have to say that I may not be that up on the "new" music today as i should but it heartens me to see how Arthur has affected new musicians and their work today. And I guess that's how like great art works...those that go before inspire everyone after.
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2006 :  19:46:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by myoungish

Is Arthur on the cover? Mojo's a great mag...and I think Arthur defines what they're all about. He deserves one cover.

Michael Young

KD: He should be. If MOJO and Uncut can dedicate a cover to Syd Barrett, then Arthur should get one too.

Free the covers !
Go to Top of Page

Arnstein
Fifth Love

Norway
340 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2006 :  21:28:47  Show Profile  Click to see Arnstein's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdion11

quote:
Originally posted by myoungish

Michael Young

KD: He should be. If MOJO and Uncut can dedicate a cover to Syd Barrett, then Arthur should get one too.

Free the covers !

I agree! Don't be offended anyone, but I find Arthur's death much more sad than Barrett's death because Arthur was an active musician till the day he died. Barrett have been gone for 30 years(?) already.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2006 :  21:57:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know I wonder how Arthur would've reacted to these lines about Barrett...
"Come on you raver you seer of visions come on you painter you piper you prisoner and shine"......
Go to Top of Page

aldo
Third Love

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2006 :  22:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah it would be good if mojo or uncut put Arthur on the cover rather than the usual suspects of the beatles the stones the who you get bored of articles about them, I agree i like Syds music alot but he gave up music decades ago, Arthur was still a creative artist and great live act, yes a cover would be cool,
Go to Top of Page

ed the bear
Fourth Love

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2006 :  23:30:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
>>I find Arthur's death much more sad than Barrett's death because Arthur was an active musician till the day he died. <<

You're right, Arnstein. Arthur's death is much more sad for us because of the work that he would have done if he'd had more time. But it's comforting, for me at least, to think that he was thinking ahead when he went, where Barrett had been so long in musical limbo.
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2006 :  00:24:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aldo

yeah it would be good if mojo or uncut put Arthur on the cover rather than the usual suspects of the beatles the stones the who you get bored of articles about them, I agree i like Syds music alot but he gave up music decades ago, Arthur was still a creative artist and great live act, yes a cover would be cool,

KD: Yep, and Syd really only ever put out one great record - "Piper at the Gates of Dawn". Those solo albums of his, are basically unlistenable - expect for "Baby Lemonade" of course !

Free the babies !
Go to Top of Page

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2006 :  20:49:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, Arthur is not the lead story on the cover(that goes to Elton John!!), and from a quick look (it only arrived this morning), there are a few mistakes but there is a photo from the early days at The Whisky with Tjay Cantrelli that I haven't seen before....There is also an interview with Rusty and some quotes from Arthur when he was interviewed for the Love Story documentary. I will have a good read of the article later...I am a Mojo subscriber, but it's well worth a look if you are a Love fan (and I hope that's why we are here on this board).
Go to Top of Page

bigrubberglove
Fourth Love

188 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2006 :  22:58:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, but I'm a bit annoyed at MOJO. For years they waved Arthur's flag high but a month after they put Syd Barrett on the cover they don't put up Arthur when the poor guy dies?????????? If not this issue, when????

Yes, I am grateful for the coverage he is getting in MOJO but to me Arthur is immeasurably better and more important than Syd was, despite him being massively influential.

Syd= 1 great album. Love 3 to 4 great albums, not to mention his recent resurrection.
Go to Top of Page

aldo
Third Love

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2006 :  00:05:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good point bigrubberglove, Im going to buy it anyway the picture of the original band at the whiskey will be worth it at least Arthurs in it though,
Go to Top of Page

myoungish
Fifth Love

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2006 :  02:21:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm actually kind of shocked that they didn't put Arthur on the cover. Love and Arthur represent everything that Mojo stands for: brilliant and groovy and classic and cult-ish and profound and under-praised. Baffling that they would choose Elton over Arthur. If it's a matter of sales, I honestly think an Arthur cover would outsell Elton.

Michael Young
Go to Top of Page

jimmyboy
Fourth Love

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2006 :  02:59:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arthur died just a few weeks ago. It was probably press-time when he passed away and I'm sure they were caught a bit off-guard. They probably just plain didn't have it together enough to do what Arthur deserved (cover,new story,etc.). i think both of those magazines are fantastic and beat anything produced in my country (USA).I'm POSITIVE that one or both mags will do what's right very soon.
Go to Top of Page

John E
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2006 :  12:28:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder who will be on the cover of Mojo when Bob Dylan dies... Barry Manilow?
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2006 :  14:13:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heh.. heh...very good there John E..and let's sing a bit of "Mandy" for the old boy eh???..;-)...

big rubberglove..you make an interesting comment about Syd. I'd think it would've been tough for Mojo to deny Arthur if and only if Love had a "Dark Side of the Moon" for example in their repertoire. Publicity and bucks hauled in is big in the music biz. Ironic that Barrett got to be such an icon since he really wasn't much involved with PF's music for the majority of the time. And when it coms to influence it's apparent that Arthur has the bigger reach. in my opinion, Syd appears to only have affected what was called Pink Floyd if anything.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page