Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Saucy Jack
Second Love

26 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2006 :  17:25:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Presumably its a case of keeping their advertisers happy. Or they've been granted an exclusive with Elton John, so long as he's on the cover.

It's a shame though. I can't believe anyone who works at Mojo would rather see the man who subjected the world to "Candle in the Wind" on the cover instead of the man who wrote "Forever Changes".
Go to Top of Page

Baron Ben Verstoten
First Love

3 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2006 :  20:44:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arthur IS on the cover (a thumbnail) and in full glory on the 3th page.

Edited by - Baron Ben Verstoten on 31/08/2006 20:45:50
Go to Top of Page

jazmaan
Fifth Love

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  06:14:55  Show Profile  Visit jazmaan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Seemed to me that the Mojo bio gave short shrift to the Baby Lemonade years. (Even if Rusty did get a sidebar). And no mention of Gene Kraut who brought Arthur to his most glorious orchestral performances.
Go to Top of Page

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  08:38:24  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Jazmann, you echo my thoughts exactly - I bought Mojo yesterday and felt the article seemed to jump from the 60s/70s to 2006 in Memphis without much in between, and the brilliant live performances of recent years were pretty much glossed over. Not mentioning Gene Kraut was unbelievable.
Go to Top of Page

jazmaan
Fifth Love

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  04:10:53  Show Profile  Visit jazmaan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Seems like the Mojo article was slanted by the perspective of Mark Linn who was pretty well shut out of the Baby Lemonade years and this Roberson fellow who seems to have been part of the ersatz Memphis "Love" which to my knowledge never actually played a note of music with Arthur.
Go to Top of Page

jimmyboy
Fourth Love

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  05:47:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think all you guys are jumpin' the gun here. Elton's new disc was known to be coming out and Arthur's untimely end was not. Get a grip here. We will all joyfully see fantastic presentation on Arthur and Love I GUARANTEE IT!! Both MOJO & UNCUT are well aware and will come through..I love and totally agree with the JAZMAAN'S "ersatz" comment. I had to laugh cuz its how I felt about it too. I'm sure we'll here from one of them shortly.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  16:11:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These tributes to Arthur are great and are on paper...I've read alot of them in the past few days..also came across not sure where though where someone made a point of getting a statue put down ...between Clark & Hilldale..now that's something to get people thinking...
Go to Top of Page

Bazza
First Love

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  00:57:26  Show Profile  Visit Bazza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's also a mention of Arthur Lee on page 114 of Mojo. As my selection of 'Five String Serenade' is at No.1 in the readers top 10.

Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  16:31:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bazza

There's also a mention of Arthur Lee on page 114 of Mojo. As my selection of 'Five String Serenade' is at No.1 in the readers top 10.

Looking forward to reading the article, not available around here
yet. I don't know why the Memphis "Love' would have been 'eratz', all seemed to have been fine musicians.
The 'BL' years have been well covered in the past.
Go to Top of Page

jazmaan
Fifth Love

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  01:40:13  Show Profile  Visit jazmaan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Ersatz" means "bogus substitute". It doesn't matter whether they were "fine musicians" or not. They weren't "Love" if Arthur didn't even know their names.
Go to Top of Page

jimmyboy
Fourth Love

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  05:47:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear you Mr.Jazmaan!
Go to Top of Page

dalloway
First Love

6 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  11:42:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
man, i don't know ... i think it's important to remember where arthur was at, at the end of his life, not just before or forty years earlier. if they were the new love, joke about it though he did, then they were the new love ... i think it's still worth something ...
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  15:36:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jazmaan

"Ersatz" means "bogus substitute". It doesn't matter whether they were "fine musicians" or not. They weren't "Love" if Arthur didn't even know their names.

quote:
Originally posted by dalloway

man, i don't know ... i think it's important to remember where arthur was at, at the end of his life, not just before or forty years earlier. if they were the new love, joke about it though he did, then they were the new love ... i think it's still worth something ...

I'd agree with "worth something," but not much more than honorable mention. However I'd sure like to hear whatever practice or idea sessions with the new line-up that may have been captured on tape...
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  17:22:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jazmaan

I don't see what Arthur knowing their names has to do with it.
They may not have been Love because they were never able to perform as such, but had they performed, they would have been as
"bogus" as any of the many LOVEs that played with AL after

Edited by - waxburn on 12/09/2006 17:23:23
Go to Top of Page

jimmyboy
Fourth Love

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2006 :  08:14:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With Johnny E rejoined Arthur and Band and began to play live shows plus the fact that at least they were from Los Angeles was a big cluee as to what separates Love with Arthur Lee from all the bogus,ersatz & plain crappy LOVES...when I first saw that picture of Arthur with that new group I thought it was Grand Funk Railroad for a moment. As I write this I recall "LOVE REUNION" show at the Old Waldorf nightclub in San Francisco in the mid-seventies.The show featured Arthur and Bryan McLean and a rather sloppy back up band. Arthur was kinda overbearing that night and Bryan was sorta frozen but did a great version of Old Man. I was in the booming record business back then and had access to the backstage where I got upclose &personal with Arthur & Bryan as well as Tom Petty and Dwight Twilley who open for LOVE that night. Arthur was still pretty rambunctous so spoke with Bryan who was quite tall as I remember. He was very polite and answered whaterver dumb questions I asked. He also expressed displeasure about Arthur's nutty performance. There is a Picture Disc lp that depicts that performance or the Whisky L A show from the same "tour".
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page