Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

JohnFPorcaro
Fourth Love

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  17:31:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is anyone going on the board to the burial?

Hummingbird
First Love

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  21:23:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to attend Arthur's burial but is that o.k.? I mean, is it open to the public? I don't want to overstep certain bounderies.

"We're all normal when we want our Freedom"
Go to Top of Page

JohnFPorcaro
Fourth Love

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  22:29:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LeeRob

JohnFPorcaro,
I have been very busy, at work, and haven't been able to read many obituaries. Please post the details of the funeral and burial if you know them. I would like to make the journey.

Thank You,
Lee

I live in the NYC area, I got this info off the web.
John

Go to Top of Page

SignedRW
Fifth Love

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  18:09:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The service in L.A. is at 11:00 AM, this Saturday morning, August
12th. Forest Lawn-Hollywood Hills Cemetery; today's L.A. Times
made it clear that "all who loved him" are welcome to attend.
This really should not have to be said, but for those fans able
to be there, let's do remember to keep it respectful.
Go to Top of Page

notsam
First Love

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  19:22:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going with my girlfriend.
Go to Top of Page

Hummingbird
First Love

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  19:37:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
O.K. I'll be there too.

"We're all normal when we want our Freedom"
Go to Top of Page

Gill
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  08:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be there in spirit - and I'll light a candle here at home at that time (I believe that will be 7 pm UK time)

Love
Gill
Go to Top of Page

myoungish
Fifth Love

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  10:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This post really hits home as to the finality of it all. It's hard to believe that Arthur Lee is really gone! I think his death affects us especially hard because we all have a very personal and unique and even mystical connection to his music. We were miners who individually discovered this pot of cosmic gold that most of the world was oblivious to, which made it all the more alluring and vital.

I really feel that with Love, you either get it or you don't. I've introduced their music to quite a few people, but I'd say only a handful got the Love flash and became hardcore fans. And personally, that's the way I like it. They were not meant for mass consumption. A song like Your Mind And We Belong Together is no Satisfaction or Stairway to Heaven. It's pure and complicated and profound and damaged and mysterious psychedelica at it's most epic and bewitching.

I'm only 34, and I don't have any allegience or nostalgia for any particular era in rock music, but I can comfortably say that nothing will touch these ears that's as brilliant and mindblowing as the first incarnation of Love and Arthur Lee.

Michael Young
Go to Top of Page

Gill
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  13:34:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael - you've summed it up perfectly, that's exactly how I feel.

Love
Gill
Go to Top of Page

John E
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  14:19:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Gill,
I was going to say exactly the same thing thing about Michael's post, but you said it first. I'm personally so happy that Love were able to remain forever a cult band. Imagine hearing their records in supermarkets all the time and paying £85 to get a half-good seat in a stadium...unthinkable! We can also thank Baby Lemonade and Mike especially for their friendly and open approach to the fans. I think
this helped to create a situation where many of us were lucky enough
to have some personal contact with Arthur. Meanwhile the music itself never changes, in that it remains as vital and timeless as ever.
Love, John E
Go to Top of Page

notsam
First Love

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2006 :  01:04:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I attended the funeral today. Not the usual, but very touching nice service. I wanted to take a picture of the casket w/ the hat on top and several enlarged pictures on easels. Out of respect, I didn't. I have the {for want of a better word} program. Someone tell me how to post it, and I will.
Recieved my remaster of album#1 when I got home. Listening to that now. I'm sad.
Go to Top of Page

JohnFPorcaro
Fourth Love

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2006 :  02:28:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by notsam

I attended the funeral today. Not the usual, but very touching nice service. I wanted to take a picture of the casket w/ the hat on top and several enlarged pictures on easels. Out of respect, I didn't. I have the {for want of a better word} program. Someone tell me how to post it, and I will.
Recieved my remaster of album#1 when I got home. Listening to that now. I'm sad.

Thanks notsam for going, I wish I could have gone.
Apropos of what Gill was doin, I had a candle burning all day today
in memory of The Great One.
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2006 :  11:51:34  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by myoungish

This post really hits home as to the finality of it all. It's hard to believe that Arthur Lee is really gone! I think his death affects us especially hard because we all have a very personal and unique and even mystical connection to his music. We were miners who individually discovered this pot of cosmic gold that most of the world was oblivious to, which made it all the more alluring and vital.

I really feel that with Love, you either get it or you don't. I've introduced their music to quite a few people, but I'd say only a handful got the Love flash and became hardcore fans. And personally, that's the way I like it. They were not meant for mass consumption. A song like Your Mind And We Belong Together is no Satisfaction or Stairway to Heaven. It's pure and complicated and profound and damaged and mysterious psychedelica at it's most epic and bewitching.

I'm only 34, and I don't have any allegience or nostalgia for any particular era in rock music, but I can comfortably say that nothing will touch these ears that's as brilliant and mindblowing as the first incarnation of Love and Arthur Lee.

Michael Young

Great post michael, you do sum it up perfectly there. Whats so special about love to me is that i really dont know anyone else (i.e friends, family, etc) who like Love or have even heard of love and as you say i've tried to introduce love's music to people close to me but many don't take to it or perhaps just don't understand it if you know what i mean. This is why love's music has always felt so personal to me.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....

Edited by - Kula John on 13/08/2006 11:53:29
Go to Top of Page

torben
Fifth Love

Denmark
328 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2006 :  13:25:20  Show Profile  Visit torben's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://love.torbenskott.dk/lee_burial.asp
Go to Top of Page

Fritz
First Love

15 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2006 :  16:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for printing the information on the funeral service, Torben. Interesting that Arthur's father played in the Jimmie Lunceford orchestra.
Go to Top of Page

John E
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2006 :  17:32:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice message about Arthur's service yesterday from Nelson on the www.brianwilson.com message board - "It was beautiful and Understated"
(I'm pretty certain this is Nelson Bragg from Brian Wilson's band)
Love, John E
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page