Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

The sweet disorder
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  11:09:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally I think there was two major influences in the way Arthur wrote music. One positive and one not so positive. Bryan's influence on Arthur I think is immeasurable, without getting too techie about this I'm pretty sure that Bryan brought chord changes and chords that changed the way Arthur wrote music. He was able to put his own unique slant on things, which I think elevated him to genius standard above "major" talent. The prime example of this is the use of major 7th chords (Fmaj7 and Cmaj7 primarily)They are very romantic sounding chords (for example the opening strum to Andmoreagain is Cmaj7. (compare this to the darker opening arpeggio A7 chord of She Comes in Colors) Forever Changes is colored by major 7th chords which along with Arthur's lyrics and songs give it that slightly queasy, discordant feel.

This is not to say that I feel that Bryan is the hidden genius behind Love. One of Arthur's talents was to draw this from people either consciously or sub-consciously. I think Bryan was a telented songwriter, however, I can not discern any of Arthur's influence on the way Bryan wrote music. Maybe this had something to do with the politics of the band.

The 2nd influence on Arthur was clearly Jimi Hendrix. I remember reading somewhere that somebody visited Arthur at his house and he had either "Purple Haze" or "Are you Experienced" on continual play. It is obvious that he felt Jimi had stolen his thunder and decided to go an heavier route to compete. It's a matter of opinion whether people think he suceeded. For me he didn't, but there is a lot of people on this board that enjoy the heavier albums better and that's fair enough.

Go to Top of Page

Shaun Arnold
First Love

8 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  11:19:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i hear what you are saying re:Jimi/Love.
in my own experience it was a natural progression from firstly, late Hendrix recordings to where it originated from Arthur and Love.,
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  18:34:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZFarrar

JR: Great post and analysis of AL. The irony is Bryan wrote the most famous Love tune of all.
But I have to give Arthur credit in that incredible version of "Old Man" which he performed
in the last 3-4 years. What I am waiting to see is any move from the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame, of course they waited for Frank Zappa to pass on before they rewarded him, maybe this is what it will take unfortunately.

KD: I agree. I think Arthur's passing will cause two things to happen: # 1: Love's (eventual) inclusion into the RnR Hall of Fame
# 2: Uncle Bob Krasnow coming out of the woodwork with the Olympic Studio Love / Hendrix tapes.

Free the tapes !
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page