AMG Website
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tmittelstadt
Third Love

63 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  20:12:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the front page of the AMG website, they have a small spotlight on Arthur.

Love first album was the album of the day yesterday, and Da Capo is the album of the day today.

You can check it out at www.allmusic.com

tmittelstadt
Third Love

63 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  03:37:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The AMG website has now added more to their bit on Arthur .

Their staff goes over the albums and gives their opinions. It's a pretty good read.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=61::68IP
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  18:19:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tmittelstadt

The AMG website has now added more to their bit on Arthur .

Their staff goes over the albums and gives their opinions. It's a pretty good read.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=61::68IP

KD: Yep, great read is right. I agree with this first paragraph. LOVE
really were like the West Coast Velvet Underground !

Of all the classic '60s bands, Love is the hardest to pigeonhole or at least shoehorn into the narrative of any conventional rock history. It could be argued that their closest comparison is the Velvet Underground (i.e., the cult band that spawned countless other groups), but that doesn't quite fit. Unlike the Velvets, Love actually had all their albums reach the Billboard charts and even scored hit singles, with "Seven & Seven Is" reaching the Top 40 in 1966. Also, where the impact of the Velvet Underground was immediately felt upon the development of glam and punk in the '70s, Love spawned no such movement, and even at the height of the paisley underground neo-psychedelic movement in the '80s, their L.A. psychedelic peers the Byrds were mentioned far more often than Love. And if the Velvets remained a pervasive rock critic touchstone throughout the '80s, regularly appearing as a reference in comparisons to such bands as R.E.M., Love only registered in the underground. It took effort to discover Love — they weren't played on oldies radio, their albums weren't quickly reissued on CD, they were rarely name-dropped, and they rarely appeared on the mainstream radar. For instance, take a look back at Rolling Stone's 1987 20th anniversary issue listing the 100 best albums of 1967-1987: the Velvet Underground has three of their four studio albums on the list, but Love is absent, with their 1967 masterwork Forever Changes nowhere to be found.
Go to Top of Page

tmittelstadt
Third Love

63 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  19:48:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kdion11,

Glad you liked the article too. I also enjoyed the first writers piece, although I'd have to disagree with his statement about Arthur's voce being "ragged" at the show in Detroit. I was there, and it was the best concert I've ever seen in my life.

I especially liked Tim Sendra's comments. He encourages people to seek out the great work that Arthur put out after Forever Changes. I completely disagree with him calling the Everlasting First a weak track though. It's one of my faves.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page